Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:44:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here  (Read 391 times)
shep1166

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 28, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »

Hi,
  Not much to say yet, but I am the ex of a person with BPD... .I am a single dad who is doing his absolute best in co-parenting 6 kids with a person whose soul purpose in life continues to be my complete and total destruction on every conceivable level. My life (3 years after the divorce) is essentially less hell then it used to be, but still a nightmare that seems like it will never end.

Horrible to live this way, horrible to see what it is doing to my children, horrible to feel so absolutely helpless to ever actually stop the abuse (only able to minimize it as much as possible).

Hope to find a little support and perhaps some suggestions from others who understand this unimaginable reality.

Thanks
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »

Hi shep1166,

Welcome to the BPD Family 

Wow, 6 kids that's a job all by its self even without a BPDex stirring the pot.   

Can you tell us a little more about your situation?  What are the ages of your children?  What does your current custody look like?  What are the toughest issues you have with your ex?  Are the kids struggling with anything in particular?  Is anyone or everyone receiving any therapy?

I'm really glad you've found us and decided to post your story.  I think you will find there is a lot of knowledge, experience, and caring among the members here that really can help improve things.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
shep1166

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »

Hi Panda,
   I actually have 8 kids with 2 grown and out of the house from a previous marriage. The 6 that are still at home are 5 daughters ages 14, 12, 11, 10, and 7, and a son age 4. The custody arrangement is currently what they call a 10/4 split... .I have the kids every other weekend from Thursday evening until Monday morning. The majority of the time the are with their mother.

I left the marriage after my own mental health counselors advised me of the toxicity of the ex's behavior. Unfortunately they did not warn me of the lengths she would go to as I tried to extract myself from the situation. By the time she was through, I had fought my way through 3 frivolous domestic abuse trials covering 12 separate counts of abuse, stemming from 7 different police reports she filed. For the first month after i filed for separation, I was literally arrested  every single weekend, completely out of the blue. I developed PTSD from that first wave of harassment so bad, that i would literally cower and hide every time I heard a police siren.

Even though the accusations were false, and almost entirely overturned in court , the fact that the arrests were on file was enough to cost me any chance of custody in family court. They awarded her full custody. Because she had quit working just prior to the divorce, I was required to pay 100% support, which equates to $2500 per month out of my paycheck. I could go on and on, but the shock of the absolute inability of family courts to address or even acknowledge the emotional instability of my ex is absolutely astonishing.

Though the time seems very short with my kids, and the financial strain i am now under is ridiculous, my relationship with my kids is much better. Unfortunately I am literally watching my kids hearts being destroyed by their constant stress and turmoil of living in their mothers home. Almost all of my kids are manafesting signs of emotional trauma. The oldest struggles with sever parentalization due to being held accountable for the care and actions of her younger siblings by her mother. My middle daughter has a stockier build than her sisters which her mother has become obsessive about countering, forcing her to diet and exercise excessively at age 11. My 10 year old already struggles with self destructive thoughts, suicidal ideation, and sever self image problems... .the 7 year old and 4 year old are still pretty young, but have explosive tempers.

At one point durring the custody trial, my ex falsely reported that i sexually assaulted my 7 (then 5) year old daughter to child protective services. They did a really fantastic job with the investigation, and ultimately found my ex to be the abuser. Their report explicitly detailed the emotional torment, and symptoms that each of my kids were exhibiting, and recommended individual counseling from neutral third party counselors, but my ex banged the gong of domestic victim so loudly, that they instead ordered my kids into domestic abuse counseling (which child protective custody had specifically explained was not substantiated by any interviews with the kids or evidence... .in fact, they explained that the trauma being inflicted on my children was due to their mothers deliberate fabrications which challenged their own perceptions of reality)... .

Somehow through all of this, I found a pretty amazing woman who loves me enough to join in this mess... .and an additional year of court proceedings to counter the accusations and lies that were told about her... .

I have been in counseling for years with this stuff... .it took 3 years of counseling to be strong enough to get out of the relationship, and 3 years later, I am still watching my life unfold like a horror movie with no end. But honestly, they cant even make this stuff up in books, its too insane... .

Thats a brief glimpse... .I am exhausted just writing about it... .

watching my family suffer under the weight of one woman's emotional terrorism.

I grew up in a healthy home, with two parents as well as extended family that to this day love and support one another... .I was utterly un-prepared for this type of reality. Its so bizarre, most of my friends, family, and any other normal decent human beings still cannot fully grasp the gravity of my situation. Because of the custody arrangement I am isolated geographically from most of my extended family support so that I can stay close to my kids. And even that is horrible because I so wish that I could let my kids experience how healthy functional family members actually interact... .the lives that they are forced to live trying to keep their mother at bay is absolutely tragic... .

Anyway... there you have it... the cliff notes anyway... .

In all seriousness, Thanks for asking.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »

Hi shep1166,

I'm sorry you've been put through the wringer and know that you are in no way alone in your experiences.

I'm on these boards because my significant other (SO) has an undiagnosed BPD ex-wife (uBPDxw) and they share 2 daughters now 16 and 21.  He went through similar stuff... .Parental alienation, false allegations of abuse, kids used as weapons (spied on their dad, went through his things, went through his phone, stole his computer to try and hack into it,... .all reported back to their mother... .even the refrigerator contents   God forbid you have raspberry sorbet in the freezer!), older daughter was "home schooled" with on-line courses (against the a wishes of her father and advice of school principal and teachers) which amounted to her first year of high school GPA being 0.0, failed to get younger daughter dental treatment (daughter had to have her tooth pulled because of the months of delay not to mention the pain daughter was in during that time), older daughter in our case has also been parentified, younger daughter has PTSD... .all horrible stuff. 

The ex has never gone after me but is very jealous of me (I'm going to be completely petty but honest here and say that I get some satisfaction from that  )

And I too was shocked by our "justice system" both in terms of how it works and the bias against men.  I idealistically and naively believed it was fair... .and maybe it eventually gets there after years and thousands of dollars but it is a painful affair.

I developed PTSD from that first wave of harassment so bad, that i would literally cower and hide every time I heard a police siren.

Even though the accusations were false, and almost entirely overturned in court , the fact that the arrests were on file was enough to cost me any chance of custody in family court. They awarded her full custody. Because she had quit working just prior to the divorce, I was required to pay 100% support, which equates to $2500 per month out of my paycheck. I could go on and on, but the shock of the absolute inability of family courts to address or even acknowledge the emotional instability of my ex is absolutely astonishing.

Unfortunately, you are not alone here, many members (particularly dads) have had long drawn out fights (my SO's divorce took 2 years) that start with them spending the most and having the least amount of time with their kids.  Several dads here who have not given up have turned the tide, but it's been tough and involves learning how the system works, going back to court (and the risk that entails), documenting their (and their children's) situations, problem solving etc... .it takes a lot of energy (and money) which is tough when you have an ex sapping that energy with constant battles about this and that.

Though the time seems very short with my kids, and the financial strain i am now under is ridiculous, my relationship with my kids is much better. Unfortunately I am literally watching my kids hearts being destroyed by their constant stress and turmoil of living in their mothers home. Almost all of my kids are manafesting signs of emotional trauma. The oldest struggles with sever parentalization due to being held accountable for the care and actions of her younger siblings by her mother. My middle daughter has a stockier build than her sisters which her mother has become obsessive about countering, forcing her to diet and exercise excessively at age 11. My 10 year old already struggles with self destructive thoughts, suicidal ideation, and sever self image problems... .the 7 year old and 4 year old are still pretty young, but have explosive tempers.

All of the above is awful and painful to watch, I know, but don't forget that their time with you is a respite from that, and is a place that they can safely be themselves.  You and your partner can show your kids that there is another way to be, to live, this is the gift you are giving them. 

Are the kids still going to the domestic abuse therapy?  What does that entail?  Because it could be argued there is domestic abuse going on but their mother is the abuser... .emotional abuse is still abuse.  Are you seeing any benefits from this therapy?

Somehow through all of this, I found a pretty amazing woman who loves me enough to join in this mess... .

You might also recommend our site to her.  There are somethings that are difficult specifically related to being the new woman, or step parent that can be difficult to talk to you guys about or that we need help with or sometimes just an outside place to vent.  My SO and I are both members here and it has really helped us both be on the same page and speak the same language when it comes to his ex and their daughters.

I have been in counseling for years with this stuff... .

I'm glad you are getting counseling around all of this, my SO found it particularly helpful with managing his anger, and strategies to help his daughters when he had them with him.

... .emotional terrorism.

This really is it in a nutshell isn't it, it feels exactly like terrorism 

Can you tell me what communication with your ex looks like these days?  Do you talk, text, email? 
How do your interactions go?

Thank you for sharing more of your story.  Your situation is tough but it can get better many of us have similar stories and many of us have gained primary custody both through the courts and our (older) children voting with their feet in terms of who they live with.  In my SO's case their mother did awful things to both daughters (stories for another time) and in 2015 both moved in with their dad full-time (court order or no court order). D21 is no contact with her mother and D16 still talks/texts with her mom but rarely sees her. 

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
shep1166

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »

I had to fight for it for almost 2 years, but we finally got the court to order her to use OurFamilyWizard.com and only communicate through email. The accountability has been a major improvement.

She still sends pretty nasty emails on a regular basis, normally as follow up to my weekends with the kids. By communicating only through the email, once I see that she is just ranting, I just forward them to a folder I labeled "Mischief" which the court guardian, the family court judges, and others can look into if they need to. The big key is to just not read them... .our schedules are set, and unless something comes up to impact that, it is easy to tell the difference from an informational letter and when she is writing to attack me.

Also, if you haven't read it, the book "Say Goodbye to Crazy" (https://www.amazon.com/Say-Goodbye-Crazy-Restore-Sanity-ebook/dp/B014W0587S) is a fantastic book. It was the first book I ever found that let me know that others have experienced relationships like the one that I escaped(sort of, kids makes it so much more tragic)... .it's still really hard, but the book was helpful. Just happened to stumble across this site looking for ongoing support... .this is certainly not an experience that is easy to get through alone.

Thanks for reaching out, it helped a lot.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest