Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 07:53:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stalling to Say the Right Thing  (Read 477 times)
71 and Stuck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: September 17, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »

I am in a volatile situation with my DD (41).  We are currently living together.  We had a row that was due to my not understanding BPD as well as I should have.  I realize I need some space from her in this house.  We each have "areas" that are ours; however, she and my granddauther (19 months) have kind of invaded my living room and bit by bit, I've lost my quiet place.  This happened after her BF left.  (Complicated).  Now she alternates between hating me and smothering me with her need.  At 71 and with a few health issues, I need quiet time.  How do I tell her this without triggering her or making her feel threatened?  I am retired and she is unemployed so we are home together a lot.  She's mostly not talking (but texting!) now.  I don't know how to reply.  Thanks.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Feeling Better

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »

Hi 71 and stuck

It sounds to me like you might need some house rules, especially if your daughter is starting to invade the area of your house where you want to get a little peace. Maybe you could suggest to your daughter that when you are in that room and the door is closed it means that you are having your quiet time and that no interruptions are allowed, but if you are in there with the door open, then she would be free to enter and would be made most welcome. Or maybe you could come up with something else that works for both of you but which ensures that you get your time to yourself. Don't explain to her why you need that time, just tell her calmly and politely what needs to happen, whilst at the same time acknowledging her needs too, if that makes sense. It could just be a case where your daughter doesn't realise how the situation is affecting you and unless you say something, she will blindly carry on with what she's doing.

I'm still quite new here and am still learning but I do hope that you can pick something out of what I've written x

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading ~ Lao Tzu
linmom
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »

I joined this group yesterday and the first post I saw was yours. I almost thought it was my own. I also am 71 with a 46 year old bp daughter. My heart is with you. My daughter does not have children so that is not an issue for me. After so many years of therapy, etc, I think I have found a group that is supportive and most of all, understanding!
incadove

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:14 AM »

Don't explain to her why you need that time, just tell her calmly and politely what needs to happen, whilst at the same time acknowledging her needs too, if that makes sense. It could just be a case where your daughter doesn't realise how the situation is affecting you and unless you say something, she will blindly carry on with what she's doing.

That sounds right on to me, feeling better - even if she gets upset, if you stay calm then it will blow over much quicker.  And then if she does accomodate to what you're requesting, its a good time to show appreciation and shower her with a bit of positive attention.  Its nice when we get the moments we can appreciate really authentically, hope that happens for you.

If you're texting rather than talking, also its possible to explain at more length without setting off a trigger.  Sometimes I'll write up a fairly long text, with paragraphs, and paste it all in at once rather than going back and forth.  That way I can sort of explain calmly at length and edit carefully what I'm saying ahead of time. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest