Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal Separation?  (Read 354 times)
toomanydogs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Apart

« on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »

Has anyone opted for a legal separation in lieu of a divorce?
TMD

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
SamwizeGamgee

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »

I have read of people doing a legal separation from a BPD.  One experience sounded like they lived with it well enough - but I think the spouse was in another country, or at least well away from the other. 

The idea I formed of the experience is that it was all the pain, with none of the eventual benefits.  You're going through triggering the abandonment - and end up still entangled with your abuser.

However, that's hearsay, so I'll watch to hear what others comment.

Live like you mean it.
DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »

In a post a few years ago, our Site Director Skip posted the following general definitions:
Recycling is breaking up - ending it - then getting back together.

Therapeutic separation is when we separate with the intent of reuniting.

Trial separation (sometime called trial divorce) is when we separate with the intent of testing separate lives.

I believe many members opt for some sort of separation before considering divorce. My wife and I chose a separation and after about 2 years we decided to resume our relationship. This would be considered a "recycle" and is also common among members.

If you're interested in learning more about what a Theraputic Separation is about, click here

If you're considering a legal agreement, I might suggest you also consider posting a question to our Family Law, Divorce, and Custody board.
toomanydogs

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »

In a post a few years ago, our Site Director Skip posted the following general definitions:
I believe many members opt for some sort of separation before considering divorce. My wife and I chose a separation and after about 2 years we decided to resume our relationship. This would be considered a "recycle" and is also common among members.

If you're interested in learning more about what a Theraputic Separation is about, click here

If you're considering a legal agreement, I might suggest you also consider posting a question to our Family Law, Divorce, and Custody board.

Yes, I'm considering a legal agreement; that's why I posted in Family Law. I saw a lawyer today, will see another tomorrow. Lawyer today told me I could still end up out of the house, and I want to stay here. All my animals are here. I'm in my 60s. I simply don't want to move, and the house belongs to H's trust.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
WildernessMan

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »

My BPD wife, upon filing for divorce a month ago, wanted me to just move out and not divorce. The problem with that is she wanted me to continue paying all the bills I normally pay. However I simply don't make enough money to support two households and I have nobody to move in with.

I still live in our house.
toomanydogs

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »

My BPD wife, upon filing for divorce a month ago, wanted me to just move out and not divorce. The problem with that is she wanted me to continue paying all the bills I normally pay. However I simply don't make enough money to support two households and I have nobody to move in with.

I still live in our house.
I'm sorry. You ever just start thinking, my spouse is an a**hole?
My H has been gone since mid-August.
I don't even know where he is.
TMD

WildernessMan

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »

Toomanydogs -

I'm there.
DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »

Yes, I'm considering a legal agreement; that's why I posted in Family Law.
My mistake. I was confused as to which board I was replying on. Please disregard my last paragraph then. And I suppose most of the rest of my post doesn't help much either. My apologies.

I saw a lawyer today, will see another tomorrow. Lawyer today told me I could still end up out of the house, and I want to stay here. All my animals are here. I'm in my 60s. I simply don't want to move, and the house belongs to H's trust.
I would assume that a legal separation in your state would involve a separation of assets as well. It makes sense that you may end up in a similar situation with separation vs. divorce.

Other than the house, what are your other reasons to consider legal separation vs divorce?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest