Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:15:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have been posting on the post break up boards, but hope for advice here...  (Read 362 times)
Emotions

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 23, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

So I have been NC for approximately 3 months... .my ex reached out yesterday. She broke up with replacement, and is on the verge of possibly losing her job... .we talked for LITERALLY 5 hours last night. Can I please have advice on how to validate her feelings, experience, without enabling her or setting her off into more intense emotions... .where is the link on how not to jade? Thanks for any replies... .

Train your mind to be calm in every situation
Like an island that no flood can overwhelm
In these times we must act like the eye of the hurricane
"It takes a nation of millions to hold us back" (public enemy)
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »

Hello Emotions,

Here is the link you asked for in a thread with lots of members feedback on how they have managed to implement this tool, https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=139972.0

Have a read and come back and let us know what you think.

Emotions

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

Thank you sweetheart.

Train your mind to be calm in every situation
Like an island that no flood can overwhelm
In these times we must act like the eye of the hurricane
"It takes a nation of millions to hold us back" (public enemy)
DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »

Hi Emotions,

How's it going? I wanted to share that I had a very similar experience several years ago. My wife wanted to end our marriage and resume her relationship with an old college boyfriend. She moved out of our home, moved in with this person, and we went NC for about 2 or 3 months. The relationship started hitting rough water almost immediately, and out of a sense of obligation, true love, and compassion, I supported her for a long time, until eventually we decided to resume our marriage. This was 7 or 8 years ago and we're still married.

From my experience, I would say that you are absolutely on the right track looking at Don't JADE. If you have the opportunity and the personal desire to resume the relationship, you will most likely be faced with many accusations on why you are the one to blame. There will also be a upswell of positive loving feelings toward each other, so as a side note, I would also encourage you to hold on to Wisemind which is another way of saying don't get completely swept up in the emotions of the moment.

I'll also say that when taken alone, Don't JADE only intensified my feelings of anger and resentment. How could I sit there and not get my point across, when she's obviously spewing crazy BS at me?

What I've learned is that you need to understand how the whole set of tools interact with each other, which is what the Don't JADE article outlines:
Remember, your partner's version of what happened is their truth. Their perceptions are their facts. We can have different perceptions or interpretations. These are our facts. Often both sets are biased.

The problem is that when you choose to JADE or Dexify, it almost always makes matters worse. It is better to listen to the other person's concerns first - try to understand what is bothering them. In time, you can resolve or harmonize your different perceptions.

There are more effective ways to communicate "your truth", such as SET, GIVE, and DEARMAN. These methods can get past another person's defense mechanisms.  Timing is critical, so choose a time when your partner isn't in an argumentative mood already. A spoonful of empathy and validation and also help set the stage so that she is more open and receptive to hearing what you have to say.

SET, DEARMAN, and Validation are all discussed in other articles. Understand how these tools can be used at the right time and in the right context, and Don't JADE makes a lot more sense, IMHO.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest