Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I communicated my values and boundaries  (Read 378 times)
Making sense

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »

I was contacted by my ex tonight out of the blue. The last time we spoke was last 10 days ago where I told her that I can no longer be friends with her and said "goodbye". Below is the conversation we had via email:

HER: Can we try and work things out? Please call me when you get the chance

ME: What do you mean "work things out?"

HER: The same thing that you asked me last month if we can try this again if you still want to?

ME: All of a sudden? After falling out of love with me? Cheating on me with R?

Look, this is the best thing I could possibly say to you. I do NOT hate you, and in fact I still do have love for you as a person, but its safe to say that we as a couple are incompatible. We started too fast, we moved in too fast and we Married too fast without getting to know one another. Our relationship was extremely volatile, and without pointing fingers or placing blame, we just didn't work.  Right now, I am in the process of fixing myself, and I doing it for me. I have been thinking, writing, and researching, and reflecting about you, our life, and most importantly MY life.

And in my life right now I need not only no more drama, no more fighting, but I need no more relationships until I fix ME. My self esteem needs a boost and I need to love who I am again before I ever love someone else. I haven't loved myself for a long time, and I owe it to myself to improve. Regardless of what I said before, I really do think I need to work on myself now, and not worry about getting back together with you or anyone. I have to learn how to live alone, and love who i am again. I can leave the door open for a possible friendship in the near future but I need time away from you to make myself whole again.

I hope as a human being you understand this, and can respect my wishes

HER: I understand

I never stood up for myself like that before, and although I broke contact im proud that I told her not only "no", but in a very respectful way. I know she did this because she is doubting her and her new boyfriend are going to work out. I see that clearly, and proves to myself im on the right path to recovery
Lucky Jim

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »

Looks good, Making Sense.  I view your response as a healthy expression of your boundaries, without blaming anyone for your b/u.  You seem to be finding your path!

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »

It was very respectful and a clear value/boundary statement.

Good step. Much better to be honest and clear than to be passive aggressive (NC).

I_Am_The_Fire

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »

I agree with LJ and Skip. I think you handled it wonderfully! Way to go!

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style" ~ Maya Angelou
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:08 PM »

Be proud of yourself for this  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  You've been very open and honest whilst remaining clear and respectful, which is a credit to you.  Just the response alone shows how effective this was too.  I think we all know how differently that conversation could have gone. 

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
gotbushels

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:28 PM »

[... .]
I hope as a human being you understand this, and can respect my wishes
[... .]
I never stood up for myself like that before, and although I broke contact im proud that I told her not only "no", but in a very respectful way.

I like that you're moving in a direction with you representing what you want.

Separate from you setting out what you want, I do think it's a good idea regardless of what's going on between her and her partner. You're looking at the broad view, you've come to an understanding of what works and what doesn't. It's primarily from that basis that you're taking the path that you're on. It doesn't seem like it's because of what's going on in her relationship life. I think that's a very good thing.

I know she did this because she is doubting her and her new boyfriend are going to work out. I see that clearly, and proves to myself im on the right path to recovery

I think this could develop into something stronger for you when you can see that you may not actually "know" what someone else is thinking. But regardless of that lack of "knowing"--in a situation with some doubt--you've gone ahead and done something good for yourself on this path. That's not merging, that's not excess dependence, that's a bit of risk taking--I think. I think these are great.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »

Way to go, Making sense  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  You communicated your feelings and thoughts without blame or defense. That isn't easy.

Investing time and energy into your wellbeing benefits all your relationships and the people around you, too.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
CloseToFreedom

Relationship status: Seperated since nov '14

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »

I just want to chime in and say that Im proud of you, well done!

However, and I mean this in the nicest way as in looking out for you, Ive been there before too. We get a sort of satisfaction by setting our boundaries which takes the pressure of the situation off a bit for us, and then we are more easily able to fall for the sweet words of the ex again.

Ive been recycled literally 18 or so times. Look out. Best way to do this is No Contact, at all. While I understand your need to tell her this and to answer her, it makes you more open for a possible recycle. So watch out for yourself! You dont want to go through the hurt again.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest