Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'm a slow learner its true. But I do learn."  (Read 386 times)
hope2727

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 28, 2017, 09:34:05 PM »

Well any GOT fans will recognize that insightful little title. I am personally feeling it these days. Despite arriving here in the breakup crisis of a romantic relationship with someone with BPD I have learned so much about other relationships in my life and myself through the experience. Tonight I wanted to share an ah ha moment.

So I have pretty much detached myself from my family. I have a parent who requires care and is a lovely wonderful person so I am required to keep in touch with sibling to some extent but in truth I am as low contact as is possible. I am practicing my boundaries and to some degree it becomes easier as I go along.

One of my siblings is seriously ill with cancer and I get the sense she may not survive. Even if she does my new perspective on our previous relationship makes me realize how toxic it was. I have been gas lit, demonized had smear campaigns run and had every attempt at boundaries smashed through with this particular sibling. She is famous for raging at me, or cutting me off completely then popping up like nothing ever happened. Occasionally its almost funny. Like when she gave out my personal information to someone she was aware I am deliberately not in contact with. On that occasion I clearly and expressly asked that she not share my personal info with anyone without my express consent. She raged until I replied jokingly "thats ok, no problem I'll just list the house and move again". (I had literally taken possession of the house days earlier.) She promptly hung up on me. Funniest part is she is a privacy act attorney and was involved with drafting much of the surrounding legislation. It took years before she swept that one under the rug and acted like it never happened. It took a couple of more years before she handed my phone number and address over to a random person from my past again. Even told her I would likely let her move in with me as she and her dogs were unemployed and living in a car in another city and obviously my tiny house can take in her and her pets.  Sigh. No boundaries with this sibling at all.

Anyway over the next couple of years things between us deteriorated badly and I just stopped trying. If she texted me I used BIFF and moved on. She has done a couple of triangulation attempts with other siblings and even a personal friend of mine. I just either totally ignore or BIFF. Well tonight I get a random text (first one in probably a year) claiming she is asking on behalf of my beloved elderly aunt   if I have a book my aunt supposedly saw in my house and is trying to get back.

At first I jump into "I don't recognize the title but maybe I do have it. I'll look. I don't know what the cover looks like. I should text her back and ask.  I had a different book of a different uncles for a bit but I don't think I have that anymore. It couldn't be the same one could it? Where would said missing book be if it was here?"  Off I go (abandoning term paper due at midnight) to search for said missing book supposedly in my possession. I have a tiny house and the search yielded nothing.

WAIT A MINUTE!   Thought

Aunty hasn't been in this house more than 5 minutes in the past 7 years. (Uncle is allergic to everything and I had pets so they aunty and uncle never come inside.) I have never heard of this book. I can't imagine it is actually here. So is sibling just baiting me to open the lines of communication? Well forget that. If she wants to speak to me she can open her mouth (or text) like anyone else. Cancer or no cancer I am done being her emotional punching bag. She knows how to say "hello I want to be in touch with you"

But my mind worries maybe I do have the book and so I think "I will just call aunty and ask her directly what book it is and what it looks like".

WAIT A MINUTE! Thought (Can ya hear it coming?)

I just avoided a triangulation. 

Hmmmmmm what do you know. See I, like Sansa, am a slow learner. But I do learn.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Anyway I felt really satisfied that I didn't fall for the bait and triangulate. I have many, many times before and it sucks.

I will call aunty tomorrow somewhere between church and nap time. She has a strict schedule. I will ensure if she indeed asked sibling to pass this along, what book in question is missing, did she see it here, what it looks like and if I have it. I am sure I don't.

Sibling has used said aunty to triangulate and smear me before and when aunty realized it the whole situation was quickly nipped in the bud.

My exfiancee wBPD used to call my 4.11" 89 year old aunty the "matriarch" of our huge clan. He said "when she speaks people jump to it don't they?" He was dead on the money. She is wonderful and amazing and I am a better person for having known her. So I am completely comfortable approaching her. It will be a good chance to catch up with her and a good chance to maintain boundaries with sibling.

Meanwhile I am glad that I am slowly learning to take care of myself. I can't take anymore trauma from my FOO so I just plug along and don't worry to much about them. They are all beloved to me in their own way but my participation in the chaos is damaging to me and them. So best to accept my role as scapegoat as it helps them unify for important things that need doing.

Ok well as an orphan by choice I am often lonely and I really wanted to share this epiphany. I felt this is the only forum where I think people will truly "get it".

Thanks for listening gang. Hope you are all well.
evanescent

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »

Thanks for sharing.

This is something I witnessed my wife do with her ex as well as our oldest children at times. The up side is that most family got it and didn't take the bait.
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »

Sansa is such a perfect example to use! Her character grew so much from a mousy, scared little girl in an abusive relationship to a great and powerful woman who rules the North. Imagine how her life changed and then remember how the little changes you've made in yourself have empowered you.

Great job realizing you were about to be lured into a triangle. Removing yourself from it and directly calling your aunt was a great choice. If your sis calls again you will be prepared and can just tell her that you contacted your aunt directly and handled the situation. Then she will have to either end the call or share what she really called you about.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

hope2727

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:55:30 PM »

Annnnnd then another sister texts at 11Pm. I get up really early. house has had a 9-9 rule for years! It ever ends. 
evanescent

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:56:56 AM »

I think this forum needs a 'headslap' emoticon!

Favorite weapon of my uBPDw was to not talk about what was bothering her until well after I needed to be asleep for work, then make it into something that had to be worked out over the next several hours!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest