Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 06:47:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here  (Read 390 times)
Colprus
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Hello all,

My DD, 17,  has recently been diagnosed with BPD.  I'm working through insurance issues, teen angst, and learning how to parent her. 

DD was diagnosed ADHD in 2nd grade.  She has always been mostly non-compliant with meds.  The meds helped to some extent when she was taking them.  In 4th grade, she was diagnosed with various vision disorders.  She attended vision therapy for a year, and it seemed to help.  However, I always felt like there was "something else" going on.  Nothing seemed to help completely.  Each fix covered a small portion of her struggle.

Move forward to this year, in April, when she tried to commit suicide.  After various therapists, and finally making it to a psychiatrist, she has been diagnosed with BPD.  I find that the more that I read about BPD, the more it seems to fit.  There's a huge part of me that wants it to be untrue, but logically, I can see how it fits.

So, I'm about to have to dive into the IEP season again, and mostly found this site while searching for accomodations for her IEP.  I'm glad to have found it, and looking forward to knowledge gained!

Thanks!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »

Hi Colprus

Welcome to bpdfamily   I'm sorry what brings you here, though glad you found us, parents here understand. I relate to how you feel a huge part of you wants it to be untrue, though logically you can see how it fits. After the initial shock, and then acceptance on my part the diagnosis (BPD, depression, anxiety... ) helped me understand what my 29DD was experiencing, her disorders through gaining the knowledge and how I can make changes myself to better support my DD. The diagnosis also helped my daughter into the right treatment she needed. How's your daughter taken the diagnosis, what treatment has been recommended?

We care, you are not alone  

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest