Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:16:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 444 times)
Huley
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

Hi I have a 16 yr old daughter who has self harmed for 5 years and recently over dosed 3 times. She says she feels suicidal all the time. The psychiatrist feels she is showing borderline traits. She is now on anti psychotics to take away the suicidal feelings and anti depressants. I feel anxious and worried about now and her future. I am not sure how we got here. There’s no abuse or trauma in her background.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:35:23 AM »

Hi Hurley

Welcome to bpdfamily   

I'm so sorry what brings you here and glad you found us, many parents are in similar situations to you, you are not alone.   It's no wonder you feel anxious and worried your daughter saying she feels suicidal all the time, how do you respond when she says she feels suicidal, does she have access to a crisis team? I've been in a similar situation with my 29DD anti psychotics, anti depressants, it took time to get to the right ones that work for her - we did get there. I had to be patient and take it slowly day by day which is not easy when we are desperate for our children to recover.

Has a treatment plan been recommended Hurley?

Posting really helps us work through this with the great support of the parents here.

Can you let us know how you are?

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Huley
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:48 AM »

Hi thank you so much it’s good to speak to people that have been there. . She doesn’t always tell me about the suicidal feelings but from what she says she feels suicidal all the time. I try and find out what triggered them. It doesn’t make sense, she could be dancing round the isles of a shop quite happy and then say she’s suicidal. But I suppose that’s the nature of BPD. I probably need to try and her them more.Ibam working on it.  We are in Britain, she’s under the child and adolescent services. She has been receiving therapy for about 5 months but they are just starting to realise it’s BPD after looking at aspergers. They are now looking to admit her into a child and adolescent unit to prepare her for a dbt group that’s in the community in January. We are lucky the services seem to be good round here but I feel like we have just landed in a foreign land. I am trying to cope on a day to day basis, she’s at home full time at the moment whilst we try and get her to a more stable place. She’s in  my bed, husband isn’t coping particularly well. I have got some good supportive friends from church who are there for us both so that’s what’s kept us going. Just feel like I am in coping mode at the moment.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:48:03 AM »

Hi Huley,

I'd like to join  Bullet: contents of text or email (click to insert in post) wendydarling in welcoming you to the community. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Hearing that your daughter is suicidal is such a stressful place to be in. I can understand feeling worried and in coping mode. In your shoes, I'd feel the same. 

You have found a really good place for support. Members here understand what you are going through.

It sounds like you have a good therapeutic team in your area. That is worth so much. Could you talk to them about eventually getting some therapy sessions for you and your husband? It's very important to rally as much support around you as you can. I'm glad to hear that you have friends who are supportive—that helps.

Keep reading and posting. We're here for you.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest