Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What will never be  (Read 448 times)
SamwizeGamgee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« on: December 04, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »

I am probably a better writer than artist, though I really respond to visual art and enjoy it.
I came across this article and it really touched me.  It portrays family love in its simple beauty.  Then it hit me, unless I do something drastic (and meaning exit my current marriage) this will never be real for me.
I don't know if there's a category on these forums for "needing to cry," but mods can move this there if they find it.

https://www.boredpanda.com/family-art-pascal-campion/

My heart goes out to those who can share the feeling that this is never what they can have, and I also joy for those who have found real everyday love in their lives.

Live like you mean it.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »

Samwize,
That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. Yes, it's certainly bittersweet to never experience most of these kinds of moments, though it's a blessing to know that others can.

I think that's one of the most heartbreaking things about BPD. For most of us, the relationships started with so much promise; we felt as though we had finally met our soulmates. Then, the reality set in and we realized we had married a phantom.

It's taken me a long time to get out of the bitterness and anger I felt about "being duped", but as I have reflected and learned more about BPD, I'm not so sure it was a conscious manipulation.

There are so many life choices and potentials; we certainly can hope for some things, but fate/reality often delivers us unasked for situations. I've learned so much and feel that I'm a much better/wiser person. I count my blessings in so many ways, but many are certainly not the gifts I sought.

Love and prayers that many of us can receive some of the daily life experiences so beautifully depicted by that artist.

Cat

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
SamwizeGamgee

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »

One of my questions to myself is whether I’ve got a life to live outside of, and after, my marriage mistake.  I try to temper hope, but, the desire to love and be loved as the artist depicts is a strong and worthy  desire.

Live like you mean it.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

Excerpt
One of my questions to myself is whether I’ve got a life to live outside of, and after, my marriage mistake.  I try to temper hope, but, the desire to love and be loved as the artist depicts is a strong and worthy  desire.

Hey Samwize, YES!  There is life after marriage to a pwBPD, as I can attest.  You do have a life to live outside of, and subsequent to, your broken marriage.  Your desire to love and be loved is normal, so don't disregard it.  In fact, that's your goal, I suggest, so keep it foremost in your mind.  Maybe you could leave a post-it note somewhere to remind you to keep striving towards this goal.  You deserve it, my friend.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Red5

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »

One of my questions to myself is whether I’ve got a life to live outside of, and after, my marriage mistake.  I try to temper hope, but, the desire to love and be loved as the artist depicts is a strong and worthy  desire.

@Sam, .(the desire to love and be loved as the artist depicts is a strong and worthy desire.) there is a good word for this... .and that word is resilience !

[1.the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness:]

I think we are all persons within a person... .as in, if you were left to yourself (left to your own devices), what would you do, would you be creative, loving of others, respect nature, try to make things better, improve your environment, and share your life works with others... .that art you shared is very powerful to look at, in a good and healthy way... .Lucky Jim is correct, there is always life, "after life"... .what was the line from the movie, "nature always finds a way"... .what ever path you decide to take, I am sure you will find happiness, look at the life lessons you have learned so far on your path. I am sure you will utilize these learnt lesson in a positive direction, to assure your future success and happiness. v/r Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
forlorn

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »

Oh, my.  Those illustrations were beautiful and unbearable. I could see myself in them, but with the knowledge that the moments were more fragile than glass, just waiting to be shattered by the wrong word, the wrong gesture, the wrong... .me.
ozmatoz

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »

Thank you for sharing. I so desperately wanted to have this in my marriage.

I look at the picture of the artist and his wife, and you can almost feel the genuine love they share.
notjustus2

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »

What I wouldn't give for that.  That was beautiful.
yeeter

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »

imo, a healthy piece of getting yourself in position to make decisions on your relationship, is the GRIEVING process.  That is, the traditional stages of grief over the knowledge that you will never have the type of relationship you want (a normal one!) with a person that has a disorder.

I believe the steps are something like:  denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

Most of us are in some stage of this.  Once you get to acceptance, you can make better and more clear decisions.

But yes, you will never have that type of relationship.  You can have some other type of relationship, but not what you might see as ideal.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »

When you consider the divorce rate, the rate of mental illness, and all the other life stressors out there, I suspect there are not many people whose lives can be depicted in such a beautiful way.

It's almost like a fairytale, beautiful to behold, but one wonders, does it really exist? I suppose for some. And that's wonderful to know that it's possible for some of our fellow humans to know this reality.

And maybe for all of us, to have moments in time like this. Just a reminder to be grateful every day.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
misterblister

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »

Nice share.

This one puts tears in my eyes (and wipes them with laughter too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_nrcKUffw

That's because I had a mentally healthy g/f whom I dumped for my uBPDw wife. While some of it may have been puppy love that may have grown stale eventually, she adored me with no hidden agenda, no secret spite, no assumptions of evil. She was kind and gentle.

I am man enough now to own my failures that took me down this path, including failures due to immaturity, lust, weakness to social pressure, and character misjudgement, but sometimes you just look out a window and wonder what the hell happened?

I really believed love would conquer and purify all. Now I almost believe love is just a brief chemical trance designed to create more life.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest