Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 10:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nervous about the holidays  (Read 390 times)
Dreamer5

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »

My BPD husband... .Unaware that he has BPD.out son is coming home for the holidays. I am so afraid of confrontation. My husband thinks out son is a slob and has taken over his room to make it in to his own studio. Ther has been a long history between the two of them with tension. My husband constantly hounds him about working. By the way he does work and is full time student getting ready to start an interagip in the spring. But it's just never been enough... .He should be working more... He likes to party too much (typical college student in my opinion). Anyway when he was home for hanksgicing my spouse started a political discussion with our son and called him a liar. My son was upset and avoided him the rest of the visit. I'be told my spouse just leave him alone kids have to make and learn from their mistakes. My husband accuses me of coddling him because I come to his defense. Our son has been the receipent of his rants for years. I didn't know anything about BPD until 2 weeks ago. My son will sleep
In the room with his brother or downstairs. That's not an issue.  However my husband suggested that when we have house guests they are more than welcome to stay in our son's room because they are not slobs. Our son leaves laundry on his floor... Sometime plates and cups. But so do our other two children . I feel like he is trying to make our son feel not welcome. Spouse says he needs the space to get away and clear his thoughts. He had a space in our finished basement. Says it's too dark. No windows and has to come to main level for restroom. He gave me somewhat of an ultimatum. Let me discipline and lecture our son the way I see fit or our marriage isn't going to work. In my heart I know that he has verbally berated at times and emotionally stressed him out. Nothing was ever good enough so I have felt protective all these years. Our son is 21. I am just wondering if anyone else out there has a BP person in their life whose main target is one of their children. I feel Li in order to protect our children maybe I should just move on. H was on meds for a while for depression which suppressed his hypersensitivity. Now he's off and just seems to be looking to pick a fight. Out son will be home Friday and I am dreading the atmosphere in the house. Thanks for listening
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »

Hi Dreamer5 and Welcome

I'll try to relate the behaviors you describe of your BPD husband to the disorder as I understand it. My hope is that in understanding how his behavior stems from his disorder, you can better anticipate what kinds of behaviors are likely to happen and when you might expect them.  In any case, know that living with a family that suffers from this disorder can be very damaging so please find ways to support yourself and if possible to support you son.

My BPD husband... .Unaware that he has BPD.out son is coming home for the holidays. I am so afraid of confrontation.

The holidays are almost always charged occasions for people with BPD (pwBPD); my understanding is that the holidays or any occasions that they associate with closeness to family will also trigger their disordered feelings such as fear of abandonment.

It's almost like they are reminded that they could be abandoned by the people they depend the most upon and in order to avoid this imagined abandonment, they have to be the one who rejects or abandons the loved one first.  Because (in their mind) if you are the abandoner, then you are not the abandonee.

My husband thinks out son is a slob and has taken over his room to make it in to his own studio.

For instance, when you son moved out of the house this could have been interpreted (unconsciously even) by your husband as a kind of abandonment.  PwBPD often react to their child's natural development of independence as perceived abandonment. So maybe your husband says he is taking over your son's room because he "is a slob." But I see it as a retaliation: you didn't abandon me, I kicked you out. And so by taking over your son's room, he is the one who abandons your son and not the other way around.

Ther has been a long history between the two of them with tension. My husband constantly hounds him about working. By the way he does work and is full time student getting ready to start an interagip in the spring. But it's just never been enough... .He should be working more...

Another tendency of pwBPD is that of "splitting" their loved ones black (or devaluing them).  Basically pwBPD can get into phases where their loved one is perceived as "all bad."  Which can sometimes alternate with "all good."  The inability to see people's gray, or rather integrate their good qualities with their bad qualities in a middle ground continuum, is sign of pwBPD's damaged emotional development.

I believe that often pwBPD will devalue their loved ones (treat them as if they are all bad) as a way of deflecting (or avoid facing) their own insecurities or disordered feelings.  Again, in your example, if your husband continues to interpret your son's efforts to develop his independence as him "abandoning" your husband: his devaluing your son is a way for him to express these disordered feelings.

He gave me somewhat of an ultimatum. Let me discipline and lecture our son the way I see fit or our marriage isn't going to work. In my heart I know that he has verbally berated at times and emotionally stressed him out. Nothing was ever good enough so I have felt protective all these years.

Another tendency of pwBPD that I've noticed is they tend to dump (or devalue) one person at a time.  Sometimes the other family members figure this out intuitively: they learn that as soon as the BPD loved one is devaluing one person, then the other persons are relatively safe.  And everyone else might try to keep a low profile to avoid attracting the ire of the pwBPD.  Everyone learns to submit to the pwBPD as the path of least resistance.

The illusions is if so-and-so just learns not to get on the pwBPD's bad side, then maybe they won't get treated so badly.  But the truth is the pwBPD devalues different family members for their own disordered reasons having nothing to do with what the devalued family member did or did not do.  This is why the same behavior is permitted to some family members and not permitted to others.  There is no consistency because their disordered feelings are not consistently triggered.  In fact, I don't think most pwBPD even understand why their disordered feelings are triggered.  And it probably doesn't matter to them because they generally choose to blame other people for how they feel.

I hope some of this helps.

Best wishes,

Schwing

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »

schwing laid it all out really well - I just want to ask:  how does your son react, or his siblings? 

Dreamer5

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »

Yes isilme,
Schwing did lay it out. I responded. Still trying to figure out how to post. I think I just sent to him directly. . But to answer your question this is how my kids respond;
When he was younger he just took it and tried to please his dad. Our son is my biological son from a previous relationship. However, my husband and I met when he was two. As he got older tween to teen he said to me I just try to make dad happy and he's never happy. As and older teen... .16-18... .He no linger cared what made his dad happy... .Said he didn't want to be anything like him because he didn't enjoy life. Our son said he'd rather enjoy life every day than be miserable. Fast forward to college... My husband got our son a job at his company... .Manufacturing. Our son hated it and subsequently quit. My husband was livid, embarrassed, etc. look at it as a slap in the face. I understood... .But this happens 3 years ago and my husband is still bring it up... Ranting as if it happened yesterday . They had a big blow up following that incident and my son let out all of the pent  up feelings he had for years ... .Cursing him out out and said I hope u f'ing die. Although they talked about it later and made up. I know that my husband has never gotten over it. My son wants as like to do with him as possible. Our daughterr witnessed things over the years between her brother and my husband and tried to stay on dads good side. She is now in high school and tired of trying to make dad happy. Says he blows everything out of proportion. Our youngest who is in middle school is somewhat oblivious but said dad has anger management issues. So when the kids were younger ... .Dad was just dad. As the became teen they notice something is not right.

Dreamer 5
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest