Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 06, 2024, 01:58:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No clue how to start, I feel like it's my fault...  (Read 461 times)
helpingkml

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »

My spouse and I have recently become aware that his child, who lives with us, may struggle with something more than regular teenage angst/issues/behaviors.

Regrettably, when the issues came to light, we reacted as though we were dealing only with a teenager's poor choices, myopic view of the world and the unintended consequences. As we've walked this mine filed, we've begun therapy, we've felt as though we were losing our minds, and have felt responsible for our massive failures as parents. Recently we've come to realize that we may be dealing with something bigger than "normal" teenage issues and acting out. On my part, it is taking a great deal of personal reflection and I am fighting a difficult battle not to internalize what has happened and is happening.

Our DD (my DSD) has a very toxic mother who also struggles with a serious mental disorder (possibly NPD and/or BPD). I've heard from my spouse and have witnessed things so far from "normal" that I have questioned my sanity more than once since marrying him. I do understand that what I've witnessed and what he's experienced is caused by a serious mental disorder that I am not qualified to DX other than it is highly irregular and has caused me great stress throughout the years of our marriage.
My DH has done an excellent job insulating me from her behavior through the years. I appreciate that. Sadly, her issues cause her to wage her war with the children who all suffer from their own issues, especially failure to launch and their of severing ties with their toxic mom.

A few years ago, my husband's daughter was sent to live with us after some blow out at her mom's. Once the shock and awe wore off, she made friends, did well in school, and seemingly was thriving. She reversed her visitation and did have contact with her now non-custodial mother. We continued along that vein in the years since. There were things, which I will list below, that caught my eye as being a bit off, but not until recently, I didn't realize they might be an indicator that something more serious than the regular teenage stuff. Last year we began a struggle of epic proportions. We found that we were being lied to and that our child was not the person she had convinced us that she was (I understand her definitions of good and bad are yet fully developed due to age and due to the illness). Since discovering what a different life she was living, it has been a battlefield. My husband and I have dealt with this in different ways; I internalize it as being my fault (ha, doesn't everyone?) and he sees it as behavior much like her mom's and deals with it similarly and takes it personally.

Due to the fact that I struggled so with the devolution of our familial peace, my husband and I began attending family counseling, doesn't everyone when dealing with a (possible) cluster B, as it's always our fault rather than theirs.

I look back on the seemingly endless conversations, bouts of acting out, and coping behaviors throughout the years and most recently, I think, as does my husband, that we're dealing with something quite serious.

Behaviors we've witnessed throughout the years:
*not being able to keep friends, going through friends, nearly wearing them out and later vilifying them
*a complete inability to spend time alone in the home, she hates it
*painting dad black (he's a good guy, very good) while being completely fine with mom's abusive behavior
*stating how very good she is and that she is NOT like other teens and their behavior, but has acted out with risky sexual behavior
*criticism, constructive or otherwise, sends her into a tailspin and causes a very negative, verbally combative response
*a long history of words and behavior not aligning
*expectation of being handled with kid gloves though everyone else is open season for her feelings
*cannot cope with feeling uncomfortable in a range of situations
*extremely critical of self, sets high standards and then becomes frustrated when failing to meet the standards

Along with those behaviors, we've learned that D(S)D has extremely low self-esteem, depression, and anxiety. We've dealt with the medical community to help with it all and nothing has really helped. It was at that point that we began to realize that this may just be more than depression and anxiety. Her coping skills are completely out of whack as compared to most teens (unfortunately, comparisons were drawn and verbalized and I hate that it was done).

We are just two loving parents just trying to make sense of it all without making things any worse than we did upon the revelation of the risky sexual behavior and the lying that was needed to support it.

As a first time poster new to this community, I apologize in advance for anything that I may have said or suggested that was out of line. I am a long time message board user (on other less serious topics) and know there are all sorts of rules and I hope to learn them as I go along.

I appreciate any advice, anecdotal or otherwise, that may have my spouse and I navigate this minefield with his daughter. I know I can't fix it and I know we didn't cause it. Unfortunately, we may have alienated her when we thought this was the "regular teen stuff" and not something more serious and I hate that!

Tips, advice, encouragement, doses of reality, and virtual hugs will all be gratefully received! Smiling (click to insert in post)

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »

Some warm hugs for you. Welcome to our community. I appreciate the details shared. It sounds like you have been giving this every effort available.

When I first came here my DD was 23 and recently added BPD to her list of dx's. She has struggled with ADHD, panic disorder, depression, substance abuse, and a severe non-verbal learning disability. She was always resistant to therapy, and still feels it is a waste of her time. She is now 31. As I have learned with the tools & lessons here, in other group settings, therapy, experiences in life etc. I have found a better relationship with my DD. She is no longer using drugs - though that is always a shadow for her. She still struggles with all of the above. And we  have a caring relationship. I never gave up on her. I learned how to take care of myself, learned how to love her with more consistency and values-based boundaries, and our relationship is better than I ever thought possible.

I am also just beginning the teenage journey with my granddaughter. Gd12 has always lived with us due to all the problems her mom struggled with. She has always been very shy and anxious. This was compounded with the violent episodes she witnessed from her mom. Gratefully their relationship is better long-distance - DD31 is living in another state the past year. This year gd12 has developed severe anxiety, depression and an aversion to being around people in general. This has expressed itself through her IBS with pain and diarrhea. She has missed most of her 7th grade school year. We are hopeful some new ideas will help her overcome this along with some homebound schooling support.

I have worked through lots and lots of pain around the 'what-if's' of how I parented both my girls. I know I was not always available to them with some of my own struggles. It has taken a lot of support from some friends, therapy, and a good husband to accept that I did the best I could with what I had at the time. The best I could. And now I can keep on doing better! Just as the family around me keeps on doing better. It is a catalyst as I have changed my attitudes and actions that ripple through all my relationships. I also accept it has taken as long as it needed to take -- way too slow most of the time.

My heart is with your family. I hope to see you back here.

carol

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
helpingkml

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »

Some warm hugs for you. Welcome to our community. I appreciate the details shared. It sounds like you have been giving this every effort available.

My heart is with your family. I hope to see you back here.

carol

We have now that we know this is more profound than the usually teenage acting out. My husband and his male friends and many others who haven't witnessed this closely, all say she's just being a knucklehead. I've always known there was something more. They were ready to throw in the towel. My take has always been that she's just a child. I am glad I pushed.

Thank you! I know you will see me here, as I am completely lost and I know now that this will be a life-long issue for here and for us, as long as she chooses to live here. She's young and we're hopeful that changing our reaction to the behavior may effect some positive change. Minimally, at least we know we're dealing with more than "just being a teen." I really hate it, as her grades are good and she does well in school. She holds down a job well. She lived here, at her dad's, without major issues (that we saw) until last year.

It's good to know that it's not just mom hassling her to move back in with her once she's an "adult"! We would have handled that poorly; we're only human. Maybe we can come across less like jerks now! Only time will tell.
Gorges

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

Try not to worry about "what is normal".  At this point with the internet, reality tv and all kids are exposed to, not much is normal anymore.  Also, try not to blame yourself.  It sucks your energy away from doing what is best in the moment.  Forgive yourself, no-one is perfect and compassion is necessary in this life.  These are all easy to say, and I suppose you do have to go through the stage you are going through to get to acceptance.   Your daughter sounds like she does have a fair amount going for her such as maintaining good grades and staying in school.  You can only control your response and role model.  I have found that the tools on the left and in particular SET and communicating boundaries and limits to be helpful. Be careful with empathy and validation tools as you don't want to "validate the invalid" and too much empathy and validation can lead to boundary crossing.

helpingkml

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »

Try not to worry about "what is normal".  At this point with the internet, reality tv and all kids are exposed to, not much is normal anymore.  Also, try not to blame yourself.  It sucks your energy away from doing what is best in the moment.  Forgive yourself, no-one is perfect and compassion is necessary in this life.  These are all easy to say, and I suppose you do have to go through the stage you are going through to get to acceptance.   Your daughter sounds like she does have a fair amount going for her such as maintaining good grades and staying in school.  You can only control your response and role model.  I have found that the tools on the left and in particular SET and communicating boundaries and limits to be helpful. Be careful with empathy and validation tools as you don't want to "validate the invalid" and too much empathy and validation can lead to boundary crossing.

Thank you Gorges. I have been voraciously reading here and other places that eventually led me here. I have learned that our way of "parenting" has not worked. While our hearts and motives were good, our execution stunk and we alienated her when she needed us most. We cannot unsay or undo what happened in the past, but we can be better for her moving forward which I want to do.

Unfortunately, we internalized so much of it and, for that reason, we missed a lot cues. I really do regret that, but I am wise enough to know beating myself up over it won't change a bit of it. Another unfortunate circumstance is both my husband and I had major transition with our work that have challenged our family in ways we never imagined when our child was in her greatest crisis. Again, not looking back, but it did have an effect.

I am working on the 3 C's right now; it really does give me the ability to take a step back.

Thank you for reading and replying. 
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »

The best times with my gd12 are when I choose to give her some undivided attention where I am a good listener, an active listener. On Sunday afternoons she likes to go to the far side of our county airport and watch the gliders take off and land with the tow planes. My dh started this with her. She brings one or two dogs to hang out with us. There are no people where we park. She feels safe here. And she talks to me. Then she talks to me as we drive-through for some favorite fast food then watch the people pass as we eat in the car. Today she tried to sneak a bit of burger to the nearest dog, who missed and pushed it down beside the seat. It was hilarious for gd to hang upside down in the back seat to find it. The dog is the one who got it out - Yum.

Being a quiet, active listener does not come naturally to me. So often I want to get across my opinion or plan or guidance and direction. It is so redeeming to have this special time to hold onto when things are being difficult or dark. I would love to hear a story you have to share.

carol

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
helpingkml

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »

Being a quiet, active listener does not come naturally to me. So often I want to get across my opinion or plan or guidance and direction. It is so redeeming to have this special time to hold onto when things are being difficult or dark. I would love to hear a story you have to share.

This is something I am working on with my husband with his daughter. He and I are the types where we can multi-task and listen to one another. We are also the types, like cats really, where we're happy just occupying the same space with one another. We're learning that our kiddo is not wired like that. She's unable to feel heard if we're doing anything else while she's around. I am having to nudge DH to stay in the room with her, not to dismiss her requests, and to pay 100% attention to her when she's talking, etc. Honestly, I am doing to the research so it's easier for me. I have also made a concerted effort NOT to use technology in front of her or, when I am in the middle of something, to let her know what it is and to finish as quickly as possible. She seems to appreciate that. Yesterday, I wrote a card to a friend's daughter and let her know I was doing so, needed to quietly compose my words, and would finish in a few minutes. I know it's a relatively small thing, but to her it's clearly a huge thing. Just stepping backing back had made a difference. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest