Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Clarity  (Read 344 times)
Free1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 27, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »

I've been divorced for 9 months now and in Al-anon for about 14 months, which has helped me cope with all the chaos in my marriage.  I think that initially I was not able to except the reality of my relationship and was in a state of shock.  However, over time, I have detached from the chaos, become calm with a sense of objectivity and can accept the reality that I previously denied.  Prior to my marriage I had talked with a friend about my ex and asked her opinion, which she gave. She told me that in her opinion my ex had BPD, which I checked into, but was shocked that anyone could say this, because my perception was so skewed.  In addition, about 4 months into my divorce I read an article about covert narcissism and became extremely agitated.  I went to our therapist and voiced my concerns, but her reply was that I had found an explanation that relieved me of my part in it.  I did not agree that being involved with with a covert narcissist exonerated me from having a part in being with her, but I really couldn't accept it to my core and because I explained many aspects of her behavior with BPD I allowed myself to drop the idea of covert narcissism.  As I have become healthier I've become more open and able to accept things that I previously could not.  I returned to the explanations of covert narcissism and have come to accept that my ex suffers from BPD/NPD.  It does not feel good, because I feel very uncertain in my judgement and a sense of fear with my ability to differentiate between the healthy and the unhealthy.

pearlsw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »

Hi Free1,

What would you say it is that you are becoming more open to accepting? Are you still wrestling with what led to such troubles in the relationship? Do you want to share more about the symptoms you were observing? I am no expert but perhaps it would help to talk this out a bit if you like?

I know it helps me when I list out my "h"'s list of symptoms that I have observed at times so that I can keep a handle on reality.

wishing you well, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest