Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 09:08:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: just been brought up to speed by my gf's parents.  (Read 561 times)
in4thelonghaul
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:02 AM »

I have just been brought up to speed by my gf's parents about my gf of 6 months.  They told me about her being BPD and of course I doubted it until I read and article about it.  Her history, her behavior, her actions, her medications all point in the BPD direction.  Quite frankly, they are spot on.  From what I am reading, it seems I have acquired the caregiver role to an extent.  I have no intentions of ending this relationship, because I believe I have seen the best in her.  I am very much in love with her and am looking for advice to continue our relationship building as long as her personal growth. I have witnessed her admitting that some moods/feelings were because of her insecurities about herself, which leads me to believe she is coming aware of her condition to a point.  I have no doubt this is going to be a roller coaster ride.  Her parents, who did have the caretaker roll now seem to be the focus of the negativity.  Where to go from here?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »

Hi in4thelonghaul,

Welcome Welcome YOu've found a great place for support and communication. I think it's possible to have a normal relationship with someone with BPD but it takes a lot of hard work. It will be important to make sure that you learn to validate, show empathy, help her with her emotions and tasks that she is unable to do without enabling her, and most importantly, take care of your own emotional needs. Is there an area that you think needs more work than others within yourself to keep the relationship healthy?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

RolandOfEld

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:41 AM »

Hi in4thelonghaul, kudos to you for coming here to increase your knowledge as you navigate your relationship.

How did the issue of your gf's BPD come up with her parents? Has she ever received a diagnosis and if so have her parents communicated with her about BPD?

I would echo Tattered Heart that helping without enabling and taking care of your emotional needs should be forefront. And since you are aware of the BPD diagnosis still early in the relationship, you are in a good position to start setting boundaries on behavior that might make you uncomfortable or that you feel isn't right. For those of us like me already 10 years into a relationship, this can be much harder, so you've got a good head start!

In the meantime, I strongly encourage you to explore all the resources on the board. Besides reading and participating in other posts to gain context, the skills section is packed with useful workshops to help you explore not only how to be with someone with BPD but also develop new life skills. I came here to find a way to get my wife into therapy and instead found an entirely new way of looking at the world.

ROE

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest