Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:41:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help responding when blindsided by rude remark  (Read 341 times)
The Cookster

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

I totally get the BPD person's inability to accept blame for anything and the way I get blind-sided with a rude remark, I just would like help in my response as I know I can't win.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

RolandOfEld

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »

Hi The Cookster, its true that communication with a pwBPD (person with BPD) can feel almost impossible at times and completely one-sided.

Have you picked up Stop Walking on Eggshells or I Hate You, Don't Leave Me? I found them very helpful in getting into my wife's headspace a little. It didn't change the communication dynamic much, but I felt much less frustrated about it and found I had more options than I thought.

This skills workshop also has some very helpful information to get started on improving communication:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=143695.0

Actually I've found these principles hold true to just to anyone, not just a pwBPD.

Hope this helps.

~ROE

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

That’s a good point RolandOfEld I have used SET in the work place with coworkers some of the more sensitive ones. I don’t think that you have to completely compromise yourself The Cookster a pwBPD are just wired differently. For example feelings equals facts to a pwBPD where it’s recerseved for us non’s It’s facts first and feelings second.

You have to retool your truth a little differently by addressing the feelings first with validation and that’s something that a pwBPD need a lot of. Package your truth at the end of your statement. Do you have an example for us to work with?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Imarriedhim

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:44:17 AM »

Hi Cookster

Me too, me too,   I read in 'Stop walking on Eggshells' that BPDs see the world in black and white with a lot of negativity.  And the doctors know that their brains work differently -- but they don't !.   The book  says to us nonBPDs  ':)on't take it personally'  ; 'Take care of yourself'; 'detach with love'

this is where it is for all of us.

It does help me to know that I am not alone as a nonBPD with SO who has BPD.
Jane -- that is Imarriedhim
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest