Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 445 times)
tiki

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »

Any book recommendations? I was about to download walking on eggshells but is there anything else that might be better or newer?
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »

Have you looked here:
https://bpdfamily.com/content/book-reviews

tiki

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

Thanks. I feeel stupid that I missed this section.
spero

*beep beep!*

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »

I've personally read loving someone with BPD and high conflict couples. Personally, they've been helpful.

I'm not too sure why "I hate you don't leave me" and "Anything to stop the pain" are not titles on the list. I've found them helpful as well but these two titles might not have made the cut on a professional standard perhaps.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

I'm not too sure why "I hate you don't leave me" and "Anything to stop the pain" are not titles on the list. I've found them helpful as well but these two titles might not have made the cut on a professional standard perhaps.

These books are in our book club, they just didn't make the top twenty. The first is 28 years old and somewhat dated, but certainly a good book. Jerold J. Kreisman, MD endorses our work here. The second is a homemade "this is what worked for me" self-published book written by a spouse. There are some really good ideas in this book... .it just is not as well written, organized, or edited as the books on the list.

You can add to the reviews here:

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality
Author: Jerold J. Kreisman, MD and Hal Straus
Publisher: TarcherPerigee;
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56740.0

When Hope is Not Enough
Author: Anonymous (name withheld)
Publisher: Self published | Not professionally edited
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=84238.0

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »

Any book recommendations? I was about to download walking on eggshells but is there anything else that might be better or newer?

We are also reading and discussing a book by Kelly Flanagan, PhD here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=321109.0;all

Smiling (click to insert in post)

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
tiki

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »

We are also reading and discussing a book by Kelly Flanagan, PhD here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=321109.0;all

Smiling (click to insert in post)

heartandwhole

Oh wow cool thanks. And I ended up with Walking on eggshells. It’s AWESOME.
BasementDweller

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:41:41 AM »

Hi, Tiki -

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Me-Tight-Conversations-Lifetime/dp/1491513810

Hold Me Tight, by Sue Johnson.

It is actually NOT about BPD, but more about patterns of conflict in a relationship, why they happen, and how to overcome them. The information I gleaned from this book (and my BPD partner as well - it was easy to get him to read it because it is not about his "disorder" at all) has been more helpful for us than anything else out there (besides our EFT sessions with our T who recommended the book to us.)

One of the things I have come to realize in all of this is that BPD IS a spectrum. And some people are severely adversely affected by it, perhaps so far as to be unable to hold a job, or to stop self-harming. This isn't the majority though, and many of those really extreme behaviors are "last line" behaviors that come from a long history of not having any relief from their illness, or any understanding from those around them. No pwBPD's first symptom is a suicide attempt, or a severe self injury. It starts out more subtle, and the more alienated the person becomes from society and their loved ones, the more extreme their behavior gets.

I've also come to learn that BPD, and many of the traits associated with it, like many other "letter combinations"... .can often be just personality variants that don't fit in so snugly with polite society's very narrow definition of "acceptable" behavior. The ADHD child in class might be intellectually underchallenged and better suited to physical learning activities than "classroom incubation". The BPD might be a highly intuitive, sensitive person who isn't understood by many others, but with the right kinds of people - can get along great, be functional, and even highly empathic. (Many BPD's are fantastic nurses, caregivers, teachers etc... .)

Once I was able to "forget" my partner's diagnosis, and instead address how he processes his feelings and how I can better respond to him (not by enabling and becoming a doormat, but by doing other things that are simply common courtesy that I wasn't even aware I was missing) things improved between us a lot, and still continue to. We were in absolute full-blown crisis before we went to our T and read this book. The difference now is remarkable - largely because I had the not-so-pleasant realization that I was 50% responsible for our conflicts getting as bad as they did. It was NOT all his fault. All we have done now is make subtle changes in how we project our frustrations, and listen to each others' - and it's working.

There are even exercises in the book you can do with your partner, (or on your own) to get a better understanding of why trouble starts and how to prevent it, or stop it in its tracks.

One thing I noticed when I read this book was that when the couples profiled in it shared their stories - it could have been me and my partner telling those stories. And these are non-BPD couples. But conflict, and what exacerbates it is the same for everybody. It's just heightened with BPD's because they are more sensitive to upset, and more emotionally fragile and volatile than a non-disordered person.  But the core reasons for their actions and reactions are the same as for anyone else in pain.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kaboodle

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »

I just read Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft. It helped me see that while my exBPDbf may have a personality disorder, he was choosing to abuse me, and I could choose to be free of his abuse.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest