Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 10:49:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After 20 years of marriage, I don't care any more  (Read 760 times)
AskingWhy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 10, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »

I have gone through these stages with my uBPD/uNPD H.

My eyes are open to his whole family and his adult children, even his X W.  (H is a BPD and his X is certainly NPD.  Her new H is a codependent.)  His children are either NPD or BPD; his F is NPD.

What kind of mess did I get myself into?

I have been reading a book that is a great help to people in RS with Cluster B personalities.  It's called, ":)odging Energy Vampires:  An Empath's Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power," by Christiane Northrup, M.D.

It's a bit metaphysical, but you can ignore that if you're not interested.

The book describes well my RS with my H.  I have reached the stage of indifference described in the book.  I just don't care any more.

The twenty plus years of marriage where my H has raged at me, punched holes in the walls when he is angry, left me in a car in traffic after I had a medical procedure, favored his adult children over me (not to mention his triangulating them), etc. have left me to make the decision to pull all the way out of the relationship.  I am not ready for divorce as I have too many work matters left unfinished.  Still, if H decides to have me served with papers, I am ready.  Over the years, H has made almost weekly divorce threats when he is angry with me anyway.  I don't know when or if I will serve him myself.  

Right now I am surviving and working on myself.  I feel great in that I no longer the fear the head games from H.  

Typical BPD.  I am tired of SETing and trying to help him.  Over and done.  

BTW, the book has many good strategies on boundaries.  
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »

Hi AskingWhy. 

You sound tired.  It can be so exhausting to deal with a pwBPD never mind as many as you list here. 

Excerpt
Right now I am surviving and working on myself.  I feel great in that I no longer the fear the head games from H.
This is wonderful to read. 

What are you doing to work on yourself?  What did you find most helpful in the book you mention? 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »

Hi AskingWhy,

I’d like to echo Harri what are you doing for self care?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
AskingWhy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:17 AM »

Thank you, Harri and Mutt.

I have been doing the usual--mediation, yoga and hobbies.  I eat well and take care of myself.

I try to tune out the bad vibes of H as I know it's not about me.  Not easy at first, but I now don't define myself by his statements.

Now looking at divorce as a very real possibility and researching family laws in my state.  

I dislike being a codependent as it's from low self-esteem and I had that in spades.  

I am ready to move on.

The book states that Cluster B types almost never chance and it's a sign of high self-esteem to have the guts to cut one's losses and move on.  There is a lot on emotional healing after draining relationships.   

After beating my head against the wall with SET and other things that didn't work, I am ready to move on.  I am more ready than I have ever been.  Let H go and live with one of his BPD or NPD children where he let them blackmail him for money and gifts. 
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »

Hi AskingWhy,

Thanks for sharing. Can you please give us more insight into what you are doing, aside from this potential divorce, to improve your self-esteem?

take care, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
montenell

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »

I will have to check that book out, thanks for that. I'm 12 years in and at the point of not caring... actually I've been indifferent for probably the last 4 years but now I'm even more indifferent so I understand your numbness to it all. Main thing is self care, I've joined a gym and try to find things that make me happy glad you're doing similar
AskingWhy

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 12:06:53 AM »

I will have to check that book out, thanks for that. I'm 12 years in and at the point of not caring... actually I've been indifferent for probably the last 4 years but now I'm even more indifferent so I understand your numbness to it all. Main thing is self care, I've joined a gym and try to find things that make me happy glad you're doing similar

montenell,  it's a very good book on dealing with a partner who is BPD/NPD.  The author is a doctor who clearly shares her past with the reader and discusses healing from a RS with a Cluster B partner.  She calls them "vampires" because they suck the non dry of emotions.  

RS with BPDs exhaust you.  Too much drama.  As a person who is now in more than 20 years with a uBPD/uNPD H, I am tired, but now I know exactly what I am up against, and have given myself permission to serve him with divorce papers when/if I have had enough.  

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) pearlsw, I cope by utterly spoiling myself!  Spa treats, clothing--anything I fancy.  Another thread discusses my husband's stingy gifting me when he spends thousands of dollars on his adult children:  cars, rehab, "just-because" money in the thousands of dollars.

BTW, the book also talks about appropriate anger and not repressing it because it will come back to affect us on a physical level with very real illnesses. 
MrRight

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »

AskingWhy that is amazing - my best friend got stuck with my wife 10 years ago when I left her temporarily - he later described her as an energy vampire - those exact words.

I will try to get hold of that book - sounds like the book for me - will probably have to get an electronic copy though.

20 years is a long time to be stuck with an energy vampire - I have 17 behind me. Life is still out there somewhere.
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) pearlsw, I cope by utterly spoiling myself!  Spa treats, clothing--anything I fancy.  Another thread discusses my husband's stingy gifting me when he spends thousands of dollars on his adult children:  cars, rehab, "just-because" money in the thousands of dollars.

Hey AskingWhy!

I did not expect that answer! You gave me a chuckle and a smile! Smiling (click to insert in post) That sounds just fabulous - spoiling yourself!

warmly, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest