Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 361 times)
CrystalBall
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 19, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »

While I’ve browsed a few of the threads out on this site, this is my first post. I’ve been in a relationship with my SO for about 5 years now. I believe he is an undiagnosed pwBPD. We have two children together (DS-3-1/2 yrs and DD-1 yr old). We get along fairly well (I am a giver ... .and I give, and give, and give) which goes well in this situation. But at the same time, I get that its not healthy to always give and rarely receive. Plus I know i deserve better and want my children to see mom “happy and supported in a healthy relationship”. Recently, my pwBPD moved out (3rd time in 5 years). I can see the bigger picture ... .how it built up to this point over the past year and all of the stressors that contributed to the  breaking point. After a month and a half, Im somewhat relieved yet very conflicted about the separation - mainly because i have the two young babies to think of. My pwBPD is not physically abusive to me or our children (he’s more emotionally blocked and struggles witb opening himself up to love)  but I fear leaving him to parent the kids on his own. I often wonder if it would be better to stay so that they have the consistency they need at this young age - and so that i can help buffer some of the emotional turmoil they may experience with dad (he doesnt intentionally negate the kids feelings and doesn’t necessarily “rage” but he’s irritable and inconsistant with rules, etc). Our son wants to be with dad but i feel like i can see fear in his eyes when he is going with him alone. He is also experiencing separation anxiety from both  me and his dad when we switch homes or have to leave for work.
There are aigns everywhere telling me to move on ... .but I fear for the kids emotional security. I also dont want dad to feel that I dont love him ... .I do. I understand why he is the way he is, how BPD manifested in him. I see he is a good person just longing to be loved. I dont want to be one more person who shows him he is unlovable/unworthy. He is lovable & worthy.
In any case, Im here to get support / learn from others and their stories as I navigate this change in our lives.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »

Hi CrystalBall,

It sounds like he has done this before, so maybe he will want to return.

Are the circumstances for his leaving the same as they were before?

What happened when he returned last time?

I wonder if it might help to look at the lessons on the Bettering a Relationship board so that you have a sense of what might be happening and how best to respond. It could be that this is your husband's last attempt to work on the marriage, but it could also be that he is emotionally overwhelmed and dysregulated, and trying to manage things in the only way he knows how, which is to pull away.

In which case, this separation might give you a chance to learn how to assert boundaries and other skills (like SET, validation, DEARMAN, which are communication skills, etc.) to prevent things from getting worse next time he comes back.

Either way, having some skills in your back pocket will help with coparenting.

How does he handle the stress of being with both kids on his own at once?

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

It is so overwhelming when the other person has such persistent mental health issues.  Has he been in therapy, even if the therapy didn't 'name' a particular disorder?  Or have you tried couples counseling where the counselor is familiar with the range of PDs?

How would you categorize his behavior patterns... .acting out (controlling, dictating or accusing others) or acting in (primarily focused on himself)?  Both are difficult to deal with but those of the "acting out" sort do exhibit a big risk of high conflict.

One dilemma you'll face is how you can be an empowered and model parent if this on again / off again relationship continues without improvement.  You can follow this quote for the rest of this excerpt.

Most who come here (and whose spouses are not in progressing and meaningful therapy) do end up separating and divorcing.  That is a reality no one wanted but at some point there was no other alternative.  The point I want to make is that "not staying" does not mean you leave the kids behind.  We emphasize that the children need their reasonably normal parent so that at least some of their lives is spent in a stable and loving home, without flying monkeys.  We can and should model good and empowered parenting so the children will have an example to follow when seeking their own future adult relationships.

One book published in 1986 had this quote:
As the saying goes, "I'd rather come from a broken home than live in one."

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest