Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 03:01:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking point  (Read 367 times)
dealingwchaos
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 20, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »

Good day,

I am currently in a four year relationship with a person who I now suspect has BPD but not clinically diagnosed. I am reading "Stop walking on eggshells" and every question or statement directed at the reader's situation is concordant with what I feel and what happens in the relationship.

Today she broke into my professional university account and saw random female names on there that I have no personal relationship with. She starts accusing me of infidelity with untamed aggression and I have a hard time deflecting it and not taking it personally.

I am waiting to leave this relationship because I have a daughter with her and I lover her very much. But I can't stand to leave her alone with her mother. And I am in the process of moving from California to Florida which will happen in July.
Speck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced since Mar 2018

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »

Welcome, dealingwchaos!

Welcome

I just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to the discussion forums. Mostly we are here because someone in our lives has behaviors that are characteristic of BPD. They haven't all been diagnosed with BPD, but it's the behaviors, and how we deal with them, that is important. You will see from reading the posts here that you are far from alone.

Thank you for sharing what you have thus far:

I am waiting to leave this relationship because I have a daughter with her and I love her very much. But I can't stand to leave her alone with her mother. And I am in the process of moving from California to Florida which will happen in July.

It sounds like you are having a really tough time. I'm sorry for that and glad you have found a place which can help you gain the answers that you seek. In what ways do you think can we help you? What behaviors is your significant other displaying that is causing you the most trouble? When you are ready, feel free to give us some sort of backstory, so that we can understand your situation better.

When you move to Florida, are you planning to end things with your SO?

You will find a lot of people here to talk to, who will provide you with support and some good advice. Keep posting - it is very therapeutic, and you will be greeted by so many people with circumstances similar to your own. You will be amazed. Take care of yourself.

Keep writing, keep processing, keep learning!

-Speck
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »

Today she broke into my professional university account

Many people with BPD (pwBPD), whether diagnosed or not, have poor boundary ethics, largely due to their self-centered worldview and perceptions.  If she demands to know your passwords, pwBPD often resort to stressful interrogations, that is a boundary you can ethically defend, that you have a right to business confidentiality, personal confidentiality and privacy.

She of course will argue otherwise but you have a right to reasonable privacy and confidentiality.  And especially now if you are contemplating separation or divorce.  Repeat, sharing is when the relationship is healthy, functional or recovering.  If it is dysfunctional or unhealthy then what you share are basic things like parenting matters and bill paying.  Anything having to do with finding a counselor or lawyer or getting legal consultations need to remain confidential or else you risk sabotaging yourself.

Also, don't depend on a locked briefcase or even a locked trunk.  Over the years we've heard of hammers and pry bars used to gain access to locked areas.  Keep important papers, documents and copies (multiple copies) in safe places where she has No Access, whether physically or electronically.

I am waiting to leave this relationship because I have a daughter with her and I lover her very much. But I can't stand to leave her alone with her mother. And I am in the process of moving from my state to another which will happen in July.

Most courts seem to ignore the Personality Disorder labels, especially when we as laymen try to Play Doctor.  The better approach than shouting "I have a diagnostic label for her!" is to document her poor behaviors in a log, journal, diary or something similar so it records dates, times, locations, events and other details.  Much of what is vaguely claimed as "he always... ." or "she always... ." is ignored or considered hearsay.  So the credible approach is to document the incidents.  Your statements will be considered much more credible when you can provide specifics and details.

Have you compared the custody and parenting laws between your current state and your new state to determine what the differences are and how they impact you?  Is she and your child moving with you?  If you move away and she doesn't come with you, you probably would have to wait 6 months to establish custody-applicable residency before you can file in the new state.  Getting legal consultations and figuring out how these legal issues impact you as a parent should be a high priority in addition to starting a journal or log as mentioned above.

"But I can't stand to leave her alone with her mother."  Practically speaking, no matter how good an order you get, your child's mother will have alone times with her.  So odds are unless she is extremely alarming even to the professionals, being seen as a danger to your child, you won't get an order for 100%.  Typical orders can vary.  One has the parents sharing equal parenting time.  For young children a good equal time schedule is 2-2-3 where one parent gets Mon-Tue overnights, the other parent gets Wed-Thu overnights, and each parent alternates the 3 overnight weekends.  Historically a common schedule is 80/20 or 75/25 where one parent gets majority time and the other gets alternate weekends (often from Friday school end to Monday school start, which reduces confrontational exchanges) and an overnight in between.  Sadly, courts seem to default to giving the majority time to mothers, though they won't put in writing that it is a gender default.

Have you browsed our Book review board?  One essential must-read is Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder by William Eddy & Randi Kreger, available in inexpensive paperback or electronic media.  It outlines numerous effective strategies, including you need to select an experienced proactive lawyer who can handle high conflict cases.

Your task is to seek as much parenting authority and parenting time as possible using solid strategies, good documentation and expert representation.  Ignore the people, even some lawyers, who tell you to not even try for better than the 'typical' outcome.  It's your child and her future at stake, you have every right to be as involved as possible in her childhood.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »

She starts accusing me of infidelity with untamed aggression and I have a hard time deflecting it and not taking it personally.

What does she say and do, and how do you respond?

Maybe we can share skills that can help when this stuff happens. 

There are specific relationship and communication skills that might help. They are not intuitive and must be learned (and practiced... .).

Glad you found the site and are reaching out.

These are tough relationships. It's good to have a support community to walk alongside you.

LnL

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest