Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I help my son get help?  (Read 361 times)
Dezign
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: April 26, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »

Hi

My son is in his early 30's, I can't make him go to therapy.  I have talked to him about it, but he says, he won't go, doesn't want to be labelled.  His biggest issues are, anxiety, anger and paranoia.

I am at a loss, as today he quit his job of 3 years, because he "thinks" people are testing him and he feels he won the "test" and in a couple of weeks will be fine.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Speck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced since Mar 2018

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »

Welcome, Dezign!

Welcome

I wanted to take a moment to welcome you to the discussion forums. I'm so sorry for what you're going through but glad you have found a community where many of us have been through similar experiences, and we can learn from each other. From what you have written, it seems clear you will get good ideas and support here if you continue to read and post. In short, you have found the best place in the world for understanding, compassion, and education as it relates to coping with loved ones who have personality disorders.

Thank you for sharing with us what you have thus far:

My son is in his early 30's, I can't make him go to therapy. I have talked to him about it, but he says, he won't go, doesn't want to be labelled.  His biggest issues are, anxiety, anger and paranoia.

You are right: You cannot make a 30 year-old do anything. He will have to seek help himself. I am so sorry you are faced with this. Even so, I just have to applaud you for being willing to continue to put forth effort into understanding your son. In my opinion, that's true love. This site is rather HUGE, however, there are many, many articles related to bettering your relationship with the angle of using healthy communication techniques, setting needed boundaries, and validating what is valid. You will find these articles in the right-handed panel on this board. We can help you with questions, point you in the direction of additional resources, or just be a sounding board.

Tell us more about yourself and your story. It helps you to get it out, and it helps others when they see that they are not the only ones suffering. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Keep writing, keep processing, keep learning!

-Speck
Feeling Better

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »

Hello Dezign

I would like to join Speck in welcoming you here.

I am so sorry to hear that your son refuses to get help, it must be really frustrating and sad for you. You have acknowledged the fact that you cannot make him go to therapy and I applaud you for that. It is only when he feels the need to seek help himself that he will ask for it. All you can do for him at this time is support him and be there for him, it does sound as though you have a good relationship with him already.

I hope that you are taking time out to look after yourself. Do you have any support? 

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading ~ Lao Tzu
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest