Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 04:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have an annual trip that I must make. Last year and it was a nightmare. Help.  (Read 358 times)
Willy A
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 23, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »

I recently stumbled on an article about BPD and a lightbulb went on. For the first time in years, I felt like I was not going crazy. I read basic traits that described my spouse perfectly.  I’ve spent the last 72 hours reading everything I could find on the topic and find the possibility of my spouse having BPD both relieving and terrifying.  To be clear, my spouse has NOT been formally diagnosed with BPD and I have not discussed this topic with her. Having said that, I am confident that I’ve found the explanation for all of the things we’ve been going through. Now what do I do next?  I’m reading and focusing on how I can both care for myself and my children while understanding what my spouse needs to get better.

With that said, I have immediate concerns that I would love some advice on. I am scheduled to go on a 2 week business trip in a few weeks and my spouse is getting more and more aggressive as the date approaches.  I don’t travel much for work, but I do have this annual trip that I must go on.  I went last year and it was a nightmare.  I spent every moment texting back and forth with my spouse trying to calm her down or comfort her.  I slept very little as we were usually fighting all night either in the phone or via text.  She made vailed threats about killing herself whcih clearly got a reaction from me and kept me on the phone.  I offered to take her with me and she declined.  I offered to have someone come stay with her to help with the kids and she declined.  I’m concerned this trip will end up the same and I don’t know how to handle things differently any advice on how to comfort and reassure her while I’m away without being consumed with unhealthy drama?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

NGU

Relationship status: Together since 2011. Married since 2013.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »

I felt like I was not going crazy. I read basic traits that described my spouse perfectly.  I’ve spent the last 72 hours reading everything I could find on the topic and find the possibility of my spouse having BPD both relieving and terrifying.

Now what do I do next?

Hi Willy. Welcome.

You've spent years dealing with this, and suddenly you have some answers. So your brain is probably spinning. It's normal.

First thing you might want to do is let this settle a bit. Because you might suddenly have some guilt that you didn't see this information before now. You might have some denial that you can look at a list of traits and have it exactly describe her. Maybe some anxiety because you want this fixed. right. now. While having emotions is fine, these specific ones aren't going to do you much good.

So read more, and definitely write more. What the writing does is allow you to start gathering pieces of the puzzle that is your specific relationship. And as you share them, you'll obviously get feedback. For example, you wrote about your wife making last year's trip a nightmare. That's fear of abandonment. A DSM-listed trait. You also wrote about your spouse threatening to kill herself. The specific reasons she did it vary, but that's a DSM-listed trait as well... ."... .suicidal behavior, gestures or threats... ."

Another item to start focusing on in the early stages is communication. It's a big deal in any relationship, and in yours, you get the added burden of communicating with someone who says irrational things, as well as incredibly hurtful things. You'll be able to roll with the punches better if you avoid taking her words personally, and avoid blaming her for a mental illness that is out of her control.

You have a few weeks until your trip. You'll get some ideas on that.

Please keep us updated and ask as many questions as you need. There are a lot of resources here.

-ngu  
RolandOfEld

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »

Hi Willy A, let me join NGU in welcoming you to the board! I understand a BPD awakening all too well and know it feels like everything is suddenly spinning out of control.

I'd also like to echo NGU that getting educated and taking advantage of the site's considerable resources is a great first step. Take your time. You will reach a place of understanding and everyone here has your back.

Regarding your trip, which is more pressing, let's talk a bit about mindset first. You seem afraid of the idea of ignoring her texts or calls (understandably). You're away, and that's hard for her, OK. But Point #1 - you offered to take her, or get her a babysitter, two offers that she rejected. If she has a bad time, it's on her. And Point#2 - You are working, and you need to focus on your work for the good of your family. This is your first responsibility above all things and you can't let her chaotic behavior impact your job standing. I say this as someone who has suffered SERIOUS disruption to my work due to my wife's BPD behaviors over the past six months. 

How old are your kids? Any concerns about the kids being exposed to bad behaviors while you are away and if you make the choice not to take all your wife's calls?

~ROE

inthemiddle1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »

Hi Willy A,

Welome to the forum, I've found this place super helpful for gaining advice from people in similar situations and generally just finding some comfort that you are not the only person having to deal with these difficult and distressing circumstances!

I too am new to all this, BPD and the forum, so I am still learning how to handle things and to deal with the intense emotions that come with BPD. My bf was already diagnosed with BPD when I met him, so I'm not sure how much sound advice I can give to you in this situation, but I can tell you that I am going travelling very soon for 4 months and I am in a similar situation where my bf lashes out at almost everything I do. We identified the other day that it is probably because he is very aware that I won't be here soon and he's finding it hard to cope with the feelings that are associated with all that. Subconsciously he's scared about what's going to happen during that period, but consciously that comes out as anger and frustration directed towards me. Really this is just a projection of what he's feeling inside.

Please feel free to keep us updated, there are so many articles to learn from and people that can help who have all been in similar situations.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest