Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 12:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Function of the particular behaviour for pwBPD  (Read 968 times)
snowglobe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 01, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »

I would like to get your feedback on the function of the below described behaviour and try to understand what purpose this might play in self soothing and self regulation for my uBPDh.
Last night as we lay in bed, me browsing on my phone, him switching the channels. Suddenly he asks, seeming out of Blue “can I hurt you?”
Me: how do you want to hurt me (thinking he is joking or role playing)
Him: proceeds to pinch me, painfully with a full force on the thigh”
Me: startled, and wide eyed “why would you do such thing?”
Him: so I can make myself feel better
Me: we don’t touch each other like this

Now question: is it attention seeking, or is inflicting pain on me brings him to some kind of solace. He’s been all kind of dysregulated in the past year. Ever since his business, which is volatile, fluctuates daily, and brings all kind of obstacles, also daily, his BPD has been severe and dysfunctional. Feedback is much appreciated

“Aimer, ce n’est pas se regarder l’un l’autre, c’est regarder ensemble dans la même direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
MrRight

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 01:57:58 AM »

I would like to get your feedback on the function of the below described behaviour and try to understand what purpose this might play in self soothing and self regulation for my uBPDh.
Last night as we lay in bed, me browsing on my phone, him switching the channels. Suddenly he asks, seeming out of Blue “can I hurt you?”
Me: how do you want to hurt me (thinking he is joking or role playing)
Me: startled, and wide eyed “why would you do such thing?”
Him: so I can make myself feel better
Me: we don’t touch each other like this

Now question: is it attention seeking, or is inflicting pain on me brings him to some kind of solace. He’s been all kind of dysregulated in the past year. Ever since his business, which is volatile, fluctuates daily, and brings all kind of obstacles, also daily, his BPD has been severe and dysfunctional. Feedback is much appreciated

This is too deep for me to comment on but sorry you have to endure this.

I know that pwBPD use others to regulate their feelings. It seems disturbing and potentially dangerous that your husband has this need to physically hurt you to regulate his inner world. I have never been hurt out of the blue - no "provocation" - there have been times when she has insisted on pulling my hair out or slapping me on the face in return for some transgression. She has also spoken about the painful death she hopes I will experience when she is feeling bad about me.

I hope you can get some useful comments.
juju2

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:41:16 AM »

I am sorry too.

sometimes he would inflict pain, hit me twice, on the upper arm. and he would find a way, if we were moving something, to have me get hurt, finger get smashed or something, too often for it to be an accident.  He also would blame me for things he did to himself: he was pulling a part off the underside of our car, he said he needed my help, and he wouldnt wait for me, so he just went ahead and pulled it off, (gas tank) said he hurt his shoulder, a few months later, i happened to be w him at his dr appt, and he told the doctor, because of me, he hurt his shoulder... .he ended up having surgery and would tell friends, i caused it.  The crazy thing is, also, when i met him, his shoulder was in a sling from getting it hurt moving a house full of furniture... .so he never would say what really happened... .oh well.  Its ridiculous.
snowglobe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »

Last night was a challenge- he was spinning out of control, it felt like a church bell that was rung, the rippling effect of the sound was everywhere. I felt the clouds come on, and waited for the rain to fall. And fall if did. First, he was speaking rapidly, while agitated and irritated, about “playing” with my phone?. In order to “unlock/jailbreak” it to translate “everything” on our new car’s display, that doesn’t allow its it meant that his has to upload something on my phone, and apparently erase everything else that was on it previously. When I saw the links on his computer, I suspected that whatever he would install wouldn’t be for my benefit. It looked like a spyware that would transmit information. He stalks and follows my whereabouts, that has been established. I don’t fight it, it would provoke more anxiety, anger and lash out. But this is going too far, I want a certain level of privacy and reaching out into the world without thinking that he will hear and read my every thought. So I calmly told him to use his phone for that in a non chalant manner. He replied I am not going to ask you twice, you know me (is it a threat?) I won’t sleep with you tonight and don’t speak to me for two days (punishment). I ignored and didn’t validate any of his words. As he laid down on our bed, I was getting ready to pick up something that our d14 left behind at our friend's house last night. So I told him, it would be nice if you came along, it’s after 10 pm, to which he replied “no”. I continued to get dressed and asked him “so what did you want to erase/upload anyway?” Waiting for normal explanation. “Forget it” followed, I left to pick up the item to our friends. As I drove there, I listened to DBT podcast about 4 choices in every situation: “change it if you can, brainstorm the options, if non can be found or satisfactory, change the attitude towards them, if you can’t find a silver lining, accept them radically, and remove all emotions associated with it, and last to stay miserable”. I’m between option 2 and 3 right now, hopefully fully moving into 3. At my friends house they welcomed me wholeheartedly, I felt like I belong, they were warm and affectionate. I had a glass of wine and rushed home, so I don’t exacerbate the situation further. When I came, he was in bed, I laid down, told him good nights and fell asleep. He stayed on our bed after all... .did I preserve my privacy boundaries? We shall see. He just might find the way.

“Aimer, ce n’est pas se regarder l’un l’autre, c’est regarder ensemble dans la même direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »

WELL DONE for standing your ground and holding tight to that boundary!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  I'm really impressed.  That had to be very uncomfortable with him making threats of repercussions.  What ways does he monitor you aside from what you suspect he was trying to do?

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
snowglobe

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »

WELL DONE for standing your ground and holding tight to that boundary!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  I'm really impressed.  That had to be very uncomfortable with him making threats of repercussions.  What ways does he monitor you aside from what you suspect he was trying to do?

Love and light x
@HQ, thank you for acknowledging my small victory, I stood my grounds, he woke up and poof... .being “normal”. Not a word about my phone, he is all about going back to work tomorrow. Looks like I have to come, as he needs me to help him with business. I’m coming back on Thursday, I have an exam, so that is established.
He monitors
1. Our calls are somehow “synchronized”, meaning once he makes a call, it appears on my ca log list, and vise versa
2. Phone finder, every time I’m away, without permission he texts “nice life, shopping at xyz, where I’m actually at.
3. Find friends?. Unsure... .there may be more
When and if I’m not visible, he lashes out, why did you turn it off?.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »

I don't think every person with BPD pinches someone like that when they are hurting, but they do tend to project their bad feelings outwards. It sounds like poor boundaries- not knowing where he ends and you begin. He feels pain and so he wants you to feel it too. We can express our emotions and be empathetic, but we can't feel someone else's feelings. If your loved one goes to the dentist to get a tooth filled, you can be caring, but it isn't you feeling the drill or the anxiety of being in the dentist chair. Each human has a personal boundary, but pwBPD see their loved ones as extensions of themselves.

Same with the phone. It is your phone and you call who you want to call, go where you need to go. He really doesn't have the right to track you without your permission, but if he has poor boundaries with you, then your phone is his phone and he feels he can track you.

I think it is great that you held your boundary. If we are with someone who has poor boundaries, it is up to us to demonstrate what is us, and what is you.
snowglobe

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »

I don't think every person with BPD pinches someone like that when they are hurting, but they do tend to project their bad feelings outwards. It sounds like poor boundaries- not knowing where he ends and you begin. He feels pain and so he wants you to feel it too. We can express our emotions and be empathetic, but we can't feel someone else's feelings. If your loved one goes to the dentist to get a tooth filled, you can be caring, but it isn't you feeling the drill or the anxiety of being in the dentist chair. Each human has a personal boundary, but pwBPD see their loved ones as extensions of themselves.

Same with the phone. It is your phone and you call who you want to call, go where you need to go. He really doesn't have the right to track you without your permission, but if he has poor boundaries with you, then your phone is his phone and he feels he can track you.

I think it is great that you held your boundary. If we are with someone who has poor boundaries, it is up to us to demonstrate what is us, and what is you.
NotWendy,
Thank you for your support and clearing the boundary situation, it is indeed true. He expects me to fully “experience” any kind of pain, and share it. My approach has always been brainstorming and figuring a way of dealing with issue. At times he doesn’t want to take my help or advice, he just wants me to “feel” his pain. It’s exhausting and pointless on so many levels.
On a separate note, today I saw him making the arrangements to self medicate with a “substance”,    it came to that. I know it’s the highest level of “spinning” and he just wants it to stop. Once he does it, he will be apologizing, opening up and “making up for BPD time”. It’s a window of opportunity to encourage him to seek help. How I hate these moments. I don’t do drugs, I occasionally have a glass of wine, but no strong spirits. I hate this time when he “demands” immediate intimacy from me. He asks me to be creative and experiment in a sexual way, while begging me for forgiveness for all he did prior. I know he is being sincere, but somehow this apology coming from a person who is under influence doesn’t help me rebuild the trust and our relationships. It makes me feel dirty somehow, when I participate in his shenanigans. I watch him so he doesn’t od, and that he is alive and breathing, so he doesn’t drive or do anything further damaging. I tried “policing”, but it only made things more complex, with him running away and hiding. He is a father of my children and my partner for 17 years, I can’t stand a thought of him hurting himself the way he does. Undoubtedly, his brain chemistry is forever altered. All I can do is to make sure he doesn’t do it around the kids, which he never did, and that he stays alive and hydrated to see another day. How much pain one must be in to do that to themselves

Notwendy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »

Drug abuse is a sad consequence of this disorder- not all pwBPD do this, but it is a form of self medicating. I think this situation requires some professional help- for you as to how to handle this. Saying no to his demands for sex when he is high might compromise your safety. I would want professional guidance with this. It would be one thing ( not a good thing but it only involves himself)  if he just got high and sat alone in his room but he is also expecting you to be a participant in this.
snowglobe

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

Drug abuse is a sad consequence of this disorder- not all pwBPD do this, but it is a form of self medicating. I think this situation requires some professional help- for you as to how to handle this. Saying no to his demands for sex when he is high might compromise your safety. I would want professional guidance with this. It would be one thing ( not a good thing but it only involves himself)  if he just got high and sat alone in his room but he is also expecting you to be a participant in this.
It’s like this:
He tells me “I’m now raw and naked before you, this is what I’m apologizing for xyz... .all things he did to me, this time is I’m sure about my birthday, my eye damage among little things”. I’m sorry I hurt you, I love you so much, let me make it up to you. E.g. take you on vacation, buy the car you want, spend time the way you want to... .” then comes the catch. “Now that I redeemed myself (in his own eyes) let’s have the most exciting mind blowing sex, (BPDs often aren’t capable of emotional intimacy, therefore sex becomes an approximation). I want to try xyz”. Meanwhile I’m sorting out my feelings and concern for his mental and physical well being.

Notwendy

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 03:50:37 AM »

I think sexual issues are common in a relationship with someone who has difficulty with boundaries, intimacy and self regulation. I don't know your husband but he could have multiple reasons for this suggestion and the timing of it. It might be many things at once. He may be remorseful in the moment and want to feel connected, and also sex can make him feel better, like a drug. It's important to know how you feel. I can understand not feeling like you want to participate at the moment, or if you are interested in his suggestion to XYZ.

The timing to discuss your feelings might not be right either. If he is high and aroused it could be volatile.

I don't know if you have posted about therapy- are you seeing a T? There are several layers to this situation- drug abuse, intimacy, physical and emotional abuse. Personally, I would want professional guidance on how to navigate these issues. I think you did great with the phone incident- when you held your own and he seemed to calm down. You can also have boundaries on your intimacy- it is your body and you don't have to do X or Y or Z or have sex when he is high, but this is also treading on sensitive grounds with him and I think I'd want professional help with how to do that.
snowglobe

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »

His plans are being diverted; it’s my father’s birthday today, and they are on very good footings, so we could not leave back to his work. He also has bunch of appointments at his “work situation” that requires him to be sober. He suggested he does it next weekend. I have an exam upcoming Thursday, that means I’m coming back “home”. Radical acceptance isn’t an easy skill for me, I still learning and processing the fact, that this is what it is. He is a grown man, who is supposed to be responsible for his own well being. Why do I continue to enable his BPD episodes by providing unconditional support, or at times reinforcement?.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

I too think you did great with the phone incident.

I would also want you to consider that you may want to "wipe your phone" back to factory original... .and the rebuild all the apps the way you want them.

It seems obvious he is tracking you or somehow using this to monitor you.

That would seem to be the next logical step... .

FF

snowglobe

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

I too think you did great with the phone incident.

I would also want you to consider that you may want to "wipe your phone" back to factory original... .and the rebuild all the apps the way you want them.

It seems obvious he is tracking you or somehow using this to monitor you.

That would seem to be the next logical step... .

FF
Thank you formflier, I will probably do that. Additionally, I want to separate our accounts for Apple ID, through it he does all kinds of changes, even without my knowledge. I’m overwhelmed with him on an hourly basis, during our celebration brunch for my father’s Birthday he spent the time on his phone, cussing and eye rolling, he is trying to jailbreak his own phone to play music and watch tv while driving?. (He is cursing and yelling downstairs as I type this, I’m feeling like a deer in head lights completely paralyzed and frozen. No, I don’t want to go to “work” with him, to be subjected to further yelling, and then seeing him high, asking me to become “creative and experiment”. He is yelling at the d14 too now, to turn off the music. This man is completely unable to tolerate distress, he is having some difficulty jail breaking his phone, which creates a huge ripple effect. I’m trying to remain calm, as we agreed that I go with him, since his partner is away with his lover in France. I’m trying to observe and only report the things I see and hear in order not to assign any interpretation to his behaviour.

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 04:34:54 AM »

Snowglobe

As I interrupt what you describe I would not call him pinching and hurting you classic BPD type behavior.   I don't think it fits the patterns described in the DSM.    I understand that the Cluster B personality disorders can overlap and they can co-exist.    There are not firm fixed lines dividing the Cluster B disorders, they are more broad and general outlines.

I agree with NotWendy.   There are multiple layers in what you describe.   There appears to be more than one problem at play.   I second her recommendation for navigating cautiously.

Why do I continue to enable his BPD episodes by providing unconditional support, or at times reinforcement?.

That's a good question.    I can't answer why you would do it.   I can say why I enabled my Ex.   For me, it was conditioning, lack of self esteem, depression combined with a desire to reach the prize,... .the idealization of being the 'most wonderful person in the world' even for a little while.

how are you feeling today?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »

Perhaps one of the most important questions you can answer for yourself... .is why you "enable" or "participate" in this type of behavior.

Once you understand this, perhaps you can find other ways to fulfill a "need" or "desire" and perhaps you can make more thoughtful decisions that move your relationship in a healthier direction.

Perhaps in the short run you are better served getting some answers for the question of why you do what you do,  instead of why he would pinch you like that.

What do you think?

FF

Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »

Good afternoon Snowglobe,

Excerpt

My ex/w used to pinch the "fire" out of me sometimes, I never understood why, I used to think she was being "playful"... .We were in our early twenties at the time... .it really used to make me angry, because if I reciprocated, she would get very angry with me !

That was a long time ago, nineteen eighty something... .long before any of our "problems" came to the surface... .I was married to her for twenty two years.

Excerpt
When I saw the links on his computer, I suspected that whatever he would install wouldn’t be for my benefit. It looked like a spyware that would transmit information. He stalks and follows my whereabouts, that has been established. I don’t fight it, it would provoke more anxiety, anger and lash out. But this is going too far, I want a certain level of privacy and reaching out into the world without thinking that he will hear and read my every thought.

"Technology" provides abusers with many very "bad" opportunities... .I actually play dumb most times... .as I was a hard case hold out with my old "flip-phone"... .now I really watch my internet usage, and I control all my own activities to keep my current wife out of "my business"... .yes, I really hate "technology" sometimes... .many pitfalls.

I also think you did a very good job of holding your boundary where this is concerned,

Best regards, Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »

Snowglobe,

Good job on speaking out, both about being pinched and about protecting your phone.  Regarding what the function of the pinching behavior is, many of us who are inclined to self-study to figure out what's going on seek answers like that.  It can sometimes be helpful, but the answers can be elusive.  Sometimes we get more benefit by simply looking at what the behaviors are and what the impact is that they have on us.  I would encourage you to continue vigorously defending your body from inflicted pain -- if it becomes accepted for him to inflict pain on you, things would likely escalate.

Have you considered attending a local Al-Anon meeting to help you deal with your reactions to your husband's addictions?  They address some of the very questions you are asking.  There are almost certainly meetings in both of the sites you live at, and they are free.  It is an excellent way to develop an in-person support system.  The meetings vary, so I'd encourage you to attend several different ones to find a mix of people who you gel well with.

WW
snowglobe

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »

Snowglobe,

Good job on speaking out, both about being pinched and about protecting your phone.  Regarding what the function of the pinching behavior is, many of us who are inclined to self-study to figure out what's going on seek answers like that.  It can sometimes be helpful, but the answers can be elusive.  Sometimes we get more benefit by simply looking at what the behaviors are and what the impact is that they have on us.  I would encourage you to continue vigorously defending your body from inflicted pain -- if it becomes accepted for him to inflict pain on you, things would likely escalate.

Have you considered attending a local Al-Anon meeting to help you deal with your reactions to your husband's addictions?  They address some of the very questions you are asking.  There are almost certainly meetings in both of the sites you live at, and they are free.  It is an excellent way to develop an in-person support system.  The meetings vary, so I'd encourage you to attend several different ones to find a mix of people who you gel well with.

WW
Thank you for reaching out to me Wentworth, I was trying to attend codependent anonymous, but because of the crazy travel schedule it all went down the hill. Perhaps trying to connect with codependent, al anon will provide the support group I’m looking for. The things that I experience daily aren’t for the light of heart. It’s a heavy burden to carry around, especially for my close friends. Being married to my uBPDh has been isolating... .his unsafe and unacceptable behaviour drove many topical people away from us (couples) and alienated me from my personal friends. “Couples friends”, can’t deal with his inconsistency, one minute he is in a terrific mood, the second he is putting me down in front of everyone telling me, in front of other people “are there gonna be any cute barely legal girls for me to check out and drool over? Do you think that I have a chance with getting one of them in bed if I show her my net worth?. I only want to ... .no feelings attached”. I had so many famale friends tell me, that although they like me and my company, my husband is like a poisoned apple, makes them all uncomfortable, as a result of his misogynistic remarks and views. Those who choose to stick around, plead and beg for me to leave him, offering a place to stay.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »

I am glad you have the validation of friends who see your situation and are willing to help by offering a place to stay.

The nice thing about Al-Anon is that there are meetings everywhere, and on many days of the week, so you can likely get to one or two meetings a week in either location.  If life is unpredictable and you miss a meeting, there is likely another one soon.  You don't even have to say anything.  Just sitting amongst other folks who understand crazy situations can be comforting.

WW
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:19 AM »

Hey... .keep focused on the big picture. 

If you have meetings that YOU want to attend... .it seems odd to me that HIS travel schedule changes that.

I was under the impression that over the summer you would be back... taking classes... .and letting him travel and do his thing.  What has happened to that plan?

FF

Notwendy

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 06:54:11 AM »

There are meetings almost everywhere and even online/phone ones.

I didn't imagine I'd end up in 12 step co-dependency programs as alcohol wasn't an issue I was dealing with but they work for any type of enabling situation. A counselor recommended them to me a few years ago. I was scared to walk in that room. But now, I realize it was a great situation for me.

It is helpful to work with a sponsor. You are correct that this isn't something friends can do for you well. Someone objective - and who has been in your shoes in some way is a good guide. Everything is confidential and no judgement.

Isolation is a common theme. Having contacts in the group as well as a sponsor helps alleviate that. Members are encouraged to pick up the phone and call.

I recommend you do this alone. It isn't couples counseling. It's for you. For my own comfort level and also my husband's, I chose a female sponsor since we had a confidential relationship. I did go for some relationship issues, but also my FOO, so I had several reasons to attend.
snowglobe

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

Hey... .keep focused on the big picture. 

If you have meetings that YOU want to attend... .it seems odd to me that HIS travel schedule changes that.

I was under the impression that over the summer you would be back... taking classes... .and letting him travel and do his thing.  What has happened to that plan?

FF
@FF, I’m being honest, it all came crushing and burning. I’m deeply disappointed with myself, and saddened that yet again I enabled him, in a worst way possible. After the incident with my phone, he needed to go to “work” the following week, and asked me to come along, to help him with insurance related stuff for business. My exams were on Thursday, and the plan was, for us to leave on Monday, me help him around, and then take a train back home to write the exam on thursday. Little did I know that he was already “prepared” when we departed. Long story short, he had enough stimulant with him to kill an elephant. As soon as we arrived he started to engage in abusing it the worst way possible. The flood gates came undone half way, he apologized for my eye, wanted to make plans to move family to “work site”, even if temporarily, that lasted about an hour. After that the usual, the drug, and watching porn on his laptop. I stayed awake the entire night making sure I can call for help, should he od. I fell asleep around 6 am, when I awoke it was well into morning, he had miltiple work arrangements that he needed to attend, including giving his employees salaries, visiting work sites, dealing with pressing issues. So, as usual, I got up, forced him into the shower, dressed him up, and drove him around to do all the above mentioned things, while he was in the back seat attending to his “habit”. Why did I do it, you may ask? I ask myself thins question a lot too. Well, because those people, they rely on him, for resolving issues, to get paid in time, they have kids and mortgages and so on. So I did it instead of studying for my exam. We came back late at night, I forced him to stop and calm down, he has a strong sleeping pill he takes after, so I waited until he stopped doing what he did, to see that he took the “downer”, so there would not be any day 3. The following day he had important meeting, and he felt and looked like a road kill, I gave him his asthma nebulizer, cleaned him up and went to the business meeting to secure a potential contract. Why? Because my family’s livelihood also depends on how well he does. That was Tuesday. Still no studying in sight... .by the evening of the same day the withdrawal kicked in, so again I enabled him by nursing him back to health with food and medication. On Wednesday I dealt with insurance and by the evening I realized that the chances of me doing well on that test were non existent. I’m saddened and ashamed to admit that I dropped this course. I was also with him the entire time at “work”. Moving forward, I will continue with DBT online training, he also agreed to attend Marsha Linehan’s retreat in September. It will do both of us well. I also plan to register for online courses towards my degree at other universities, so I can finally finish it. I will not put the entire blame on him, for sabotaging my studies, I have a choice of taking care of myself and my business. I don’t know how to get rid of the pressing fear that he dies through odying. Lamar Odom story is very similar to what my uBPDh does. His bingies are always coming during the times of stress, uncertainty or in a wake of him doing something  atrocious.
So there you go, FF, I let myself down, again

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »

You don't really expect him to attend a seminar with you... do you?

It would matter if he agreed for a behavioral change tomorrow... .and was consistent with that for a period of time.

Promising to do something months from now, as a "deal" to get you to do stuff for him now (be his nurse, mother... .whatever)... .costs him nothing.

Do you see that?

Is an apology without action a really apology?

You understand that there is no "need" for him to care for himself... .right?  Because you are doing it for him.  You "force" him to shower (can you see how that "feeds" him in a dysfunctional way?)

The longer this continues... .the harder it will be to undo... .do you truly understand that?

So... you are disappointed in yourself... .what specifically are you going to do now... today... .to walk down a road where there is less disappointment.

FF

Notwendy

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »

You are not alone with this kind of enabling behavior.

I assumed I did not have an "addiction problem" because I don't have issues with drugs or alcohol. After sitting in 12 step meetings - which included addicts and alcoholic, I finally saw the connection between enabling and addiction. A person may not understand why they enable and they also are in a sense as powerless over their behavior as an addict is with drugs or alcohol. The addict might think "oh I can quit anytime" "I can control this" and they may at times want to but then when faced with the situation to do drugs or drink - they find it irresistible.

Please don't be hard on yourself. You had the best of intentions, but when faced with the situation, your fears of what could happen took a hold of you. This is similar to an alcoholic being tempted with a drink. It took me a while to understand the term "emotional sobriety" but then I began to recognize the emotional "hooks" that got me into enabling behavior and understood that I was emotionally "sober" when I didn't give in to them. But I can't forget the tendency to enable is something I need to stay aware of.

I know you feel badly about what happened and it took courage to admit to that. I hope that you can get yourself into an Alanon group. There you will find you are not alone, people have walked your path and are there to help you gain skills and support on how to stop enabling behaviors. Just stopping on your own doesn't address your fears. You can learn how to address them.

The Blue Book of AA is an interesting read. These 12 step programs are based on it. It was written in an earlier era- the alcoholics were men, their enablers were their wives. Some of the language is religious and based on early Christianity. However, the model can be adapted to modern times - we know both women and men can be addicts and/or enablers, and the "Higher Power " concept adapted to any belief system. How AA came about was serendipitous. They found that while there are things that can treat addiction physically, underlying addiction is a spiritual (in the universal - not necessarily religious sense- a disconnect from your self and your own Higher Power )  and emotional issue that is effectively addressed through this program.

Then, they discovered that they could get the alcoholics to stop drinking but the alcoholics got worse. This is when the attention shifted to the wives. They discovered a pattern of behavior in the wives. The wives were loving, self sacrificing and they kept the alcoholics from experiencing the consequences of their behaviors. They covered up the drinking, made excuses to the alcoholic's bosses.

They learned that the best time to help an alcoholic was when that person hit bottom- faced the consequences of their actions. The wives actually hindered their husbands' chances of recovery by keeping them from facing the consequences of their addiction. So they had no incentive to change.

This is how Al Anon came to be.
snowglobe

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »

You don't really expect him to attend a seminar with you... do you?

It would matter if he agreed for a behavioral change tomorrow... .and was consistent with that for a period of time.

Promising to do something months from now, as a "deal" to get you to do stuff for him now (be his nurse, mother... .whatever)... .costs him nothing.

Do you see that?

Is an apology without action a really apology?

You understand that there is no "need" for him to care for himself... .right?  Because you are doing it for him.  You "force" him to shower (can you see how that "feeds" him in a dysfunctional way?)

The longer this continues... .the harder it will be to undo... .do you truly understand that?

So... you are disappointed in yourself... .what specifically are you going to do now... today... .to walk down a road where there is less disappointment.

FF

As you know I’m currently doing the DBT 12 weeks training, the event organized and delivered by skilled DBT team and Marsha herself. I enrolled into the retreat, and after his “fall out” he said that he wants to try and also got registered. You are correct about apologizing without actual apology. He paid for both of us to attend, but only I’m certainly coming. He cancelled events before, even at the risk of loosing money. Do I know for certain that he will attend, or participate meaningfully, and not chaperone me instead? I don’t know.
I’m looking into similar psychology programs, that are available online. The only way I can ensure that I graduate is if i take it online. It gives me flexibility and the time I need to complete my almost finished degree. I’m shy of four subjects. Next, is figuring out my employment setuation. It’s also complex. If I start the employment, based on his income, I’m most likely to pay all of my salary and then some in taxes. Does it make financial sense for our family- no, will it provide a buffer for me to fall on should he pull the plug on me- yes.

Notwendy

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »

I know that DBT is useful for many things, but you are not the one with BPD. What is your interest in doing the DBT program?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »

Please check your thinking... ."the only way" is NOT only to take online classes.

There are certainly other ways, but taking online classes will apparently remove some of the hard choices that have been disappointments for your lately.

Why kick those choices down the road?  Why not face them now?

It was only recently that you had a "plan" to remain at home and finish classes... .why create a new plan?

FF

snowglobe

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »

I know that DBT is useful for many things, but you are not the one with BPD. What is your interest in doing the DBT program?
I’ve been raised by uBPD and npd parents, a lot of anxieties and issues with emotional regulation. In addition, I suffer from anxieties and expectations of gloom and doom stemming from their ugly divorce and custody arrangements. I was passed between them like a trophy and means of hurting the other party. DBT is highly effective not only for BPD, but also anxiety, depression and emotional regulation.

snowglobe

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »

Please check your thinking... ."the only way" is NOT only to take online classes.

There are certainly other ways, but taking online classes will apparently remove some of the hard choices that have been disappointments for your lately.

Why kick those choices down the road?  Why not face them now?

It was only recently that you had a "plan" to remain at home and finish classes... .why create a new plan?

FF
My uBPDh basically gave me a run down of things according to his view on things; “I come along and “support him”, and we continue as a family unity”, or “I stay with kids, he can’t “be alone”, he seeks comfort in other women, drugs and pulls Lamar Odom and we grow apart”. He doesn’t see himself being alone or being able to take care of himself, or things when it gets tuff, which it does”. Hence my decision to obtain what I need (my degree), but also give him what he wants (me).

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest