Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 18, 2024, 08:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex has cut me off Facebook - Part 2  (Read 554 times)
Insom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »

Excerpt
If I could afford it I'd go into therapy and try and unpick it, but I can't at the moment . . . Do you mean nudge me towards therapy? We are back to the financial issue... .

I hear that therapy is something you've considered but that it currently feels out of your range. Can you identify a specific problem you'd like to address?  What type of therapy or therapist do you feel may be a good fit?  How many sessions do you think you'd need to get somewhere?  How much do you think they'd cost?  Can you figure out a way to swing that amount?

FWIW, when I found this site a little over a year ago I was struggling to understand a spate of intense dreams about a relationship I had as a teen.  While I learned a ton here, about six months in I got to a point where I felt like I needed to take it offline to explore the issues I'd discovered here in a deeper way.  As a freelancer in a creative field my income stream is unpredictable so embarking on an open-ended course of expensive weekly therapy didn't sound like a good idea, but I knew it wouldn't hurt to at least gather some information.  It took anther few months for me to get going, but eventually I started researching local T's and sorting out the cost.  I knew I wanted someone nurturing who was experienced with trauma and personality disorders and picked someone off the internet because I liked her picture and credentials.  (It turned out to be a great choice.)

Then I had a conversation with my husband letting him know that there was something going on with me emotionally that I needed to discuss with a pro.  (He is supportive, by the way.)

I got on the waiting list of the person I picked.  We had an excellent first meeting where we talked about the issues I thought needed addressing and how long I wanted it to take (6 sessions was how much I was willing to commit to financially). She thought that probably wasn't enough but agreed to take me on anyway.  I had mapped out mentally how I thought those six sessions might go.  We spread them out over a period of months to mitigate the cost.  And then once we reached six we revisited our agreement and decided to keep going for another six and so on.

One of the things I've learned in therapy is how as a child of a narcissistic parent, acknowledging my own needs for care and support can feel very, very hard because I learned at a young age that it was my job to take care of my parent's emotional needs and that it wasn't really OK for me to have emotional needs of my own.  This made it super-hard to reach out.  But I'm so glad I did.

You sound like a creative, resourceful person.  How would it feel to direct some of that toward yourself? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest