Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 20, 2024, 09:30:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and Keto Diet: We've noticed a decrease in symptoms  (Read 1661 times)
Wrongturn1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: July 16, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »

This might have already been discussed here at length, but I just wanted to note that my uBPDw has been on the ketogenic diet for about 10 days now, and I have noticed a marked decrease in BPD symptoms.  It also seemed to even out her moods through PMS week (well technically her PMS duration seems to be about 14 days normally, so I’m not sure I can call it a “week”).  I’m not sure whether she will have the executive control to stay with the diet or if the long-term results will continue to be positive, but so far it has seemed to be very helpful.  

It makes sense that keto might help with BPD as I have read that the low carb high fat diet originated decades ago as a treatment for epilepsy, which as you folks may know, people with BPD are sometimes prescribed anti-seizure medications for BPD treatment.  

Anyone else have similar experiences?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pearlsw

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »

Hi Wrongturn1,

I am not so experienced with such things. It is interesting to hear that being on a diet has improved her moods, I think most people on diets tend to be a bit miserable. Smiling (click to insert in post)

Does she make a connection between the diet and these other changes? Is she talking about this as a long-term strategy to alleviate symptoms? Is she interested in other methods to help her?

wishing you the best, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Wrongturn1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »

She does make a connection between the diet and the changes.  In fact, this morning, she happily remarked that she had lost 10 pounds so far but that the weight loss was not the main positive - she said she was enjoying the mental benefits the most.  And we chatted briefly about how it has been much easier lately for her to keep her emotions and anxiety under control while on the keto diet.  She has not committed to staying on the diet long-term, but she did say this morning that it hasn't been miserable (because you have to eat delicious things bacon, cheese, butter, etc. every day).

She has not been willing to seek therapy/counseling or otherwise put much work into improving her situation, so it has been encouraging to me to see something working to help her.
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »

My husband does better when he is getting "real" food and not just processed take out, and when he can get exercise.  We learned he has diabetes, which made the low sugar missed-a-meal rages make a lot more sense.  When we cook fresh food, and eat on a normal schedule, and I can get him some sunlight and exercise, he does much better.

Sadly, now, the kidney stones are preventing a lot of exercises, and we need to revamp his diet more to be low oxalate, which goes in the face of low glucose on many levels.  Things that are good for managing blood sugar are high in oxalate, which causes the kind of stones he makes.

The not so terrible news is that yes, his oxalate levels are interfering with his nutrient absorption, based on the massive amounts of reading I've been doing, and so, if we can lower his oxalate and increase the nutrients he's lacking based on diabetes and the high oxalate (calcium, b vitamins, all leached from your body unless you compensate).

Anyway, glad to hear you've found something to help with any biochemical issues that can make the BPD so much worse.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest