Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:23:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PART 2 Trying to understand why my wife has filed the application for Decree Nisi  (Read 918 times)
Enabler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart

« on: September 07, 2018, 07:01:34 AM »

Moderation Note:  This thread is a continuation of PART 1 which was locked as it had reached its post limit.  PART 1 is here:  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=328283.0;all

Today I received this from my W:

"I choose never to forget the good times we have had together and the lovely things we have done, the places we have been. Nothing is ever wasted. I always wanted it to work. I wanted nothing more than a happy (realistically happy) family and marriage. I felt it appropriate to say that today (rainbow emoji)."

I feel like replying something like... .but likely wont:

"Only we as individuals are able to ascertain whether or not we did everything possible to provide an environment where 'happy' could be nurtured. Only we have the ability to honestly self reflect on whether or not we fell short in our behaviours and thoughts"

Any thoughts on her message? I have a feeling it's a way of her acknowledging her recollection of the past is changing whilst preserving the narrative i.e. I am recalling a lot of fun times we had together but since I know you have abused me I cannot change my current path.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »

What would be the purpose of a response?

FF

Enabler

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »

Because because... .which is why I've not responded... .although is ignoring it invalidating?

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »

Because because... .which is why I've not responded... .although is ignoring it invalidating?

It could be.

However... .many times they will "feel" invalidated... regardless of what you say.

What would be the purpose of validating her anyway?

FF

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »

I think your response sounds a bit invalidating. It's kinda preachy and also falls into too much heavy stuff via text.

I think it is OK to acknowledge the message- not from the standpoint of whether it will invalidate her or not to not respond but from a general sense of courtesy. It's rude to not respond to a message that someone took the time to write out. It isn't a hostile message- that one should probably ignore.

Imagine if someone who was a friend wrote it ( it's not something a friend would send, but one doesn't have the level of drama with a friend. Respond politely as if talking to a friend. That keeps you from adding to drama. There's a bunch of drama in her message " I always wanted it to work... ." don't bite that one.

"Thank you for this message.  I am glad to know you recall the good times and wanted our marriage to work. "

Leave it like that. Any " I think "anything in your defense falls in to JADE. This acknowledges that you heard her. If she wants to know how you feel, she can ask you and that discussion is best done face to face, not through a text.
Enabler

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »

"Thank you for this message.  I am glad to know you recall the good times and wanted our marriage to work. "

I like that, and I kinda concur that not responding feels aggressive when she isn't trying to be. My only hesitation is that she's seeking approval... .which obviously I don't approve of what she is doing... .and validating the "wanted our marriage to work" somehow validates the unwritten "you did everything necessary for it to work" or more importantly "you didn't do things that guaranteed it wouldn't work".

Notwendy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »

Then leave it out

"Thank you for this message.  I am glad to know you recall the good times "

Even though you don't approve of what she is doing- no matter what happens, the two of you share children and so will always need to communicate with each other. You can set the tone by responding as if she was an acquaintance, no drama, just being civil and not getting into drama. Divorce won't end drama between you as you will be discussing children and settling things. Being civil, but not condoning may tone the drama down.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »

What Notwendy just wrote is exactly what I was going to say.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »

Being civil, but not condoning may tone the drama down.

Exactly...

This is a "strategic shift".  I get it that you want the marriage to work... the OM to go away... .to repair things.

We don't know what the future holds, but for now I recommend the "strategic focus" be on the most calm coparenting that you can do.

FF

Enabler

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »

Appreciated... .that's in the ether

Enabler

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »

Oh wow... .it's my 17th wedding anniversary today!

Wicker Man

Relationship status: Attempting to reconcile after my affair.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:44 AM »

Happy Anniversary.  I hope it is a good one for you.

Fingers crossed!

Wicker Man

PS I wanted to take a moment and thank you for all that you have shared in your posts on various threads.  Your point of view has helped me gain quite a lot of perspective and understanding.  Your posts are consistently thoughtful, compassionate, and helpful.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
Enabler

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »

I do my best Wicker Man... .I do my best in pretty much everything I put my hand to.

Big lump in my throat sitting here at work chewing through the thought that it's my wedding anniversary today. A marriage that I did try my best at, where I was a good husband, perfect, no, good, yes. I always put her first, yet here I am begging with God to send a lightening bolt of epiphany to her to realise that I'm not the man her mind has molded me into.

1 Corinthians 13:7-8
7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

MAKE IT STOP

Notwendy

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »

I'm sorry Enabler. I know you are hurting.

Sometimes that epiphany may or may not arrive in the time span we hope for. I know you didn't want this to happen. We don't always understand the big picture . If I were to guess, what may happen,  unless she figures out that you are a good husband soon, she might learn if her fantasy life with OM turns out to be a dysfunctional wreck. I don't wish anything bad for her, but a disordered person brings their disorder into any relationship.

It's sad when this affects the whole family. I wish you strength no matter how this turns out.
BetterLanes

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »

Hi Enabler,

Catching up - so sorry to read about these developments.

Regarding your W's allegations of abusive behaviors, I wonder if it would be worth you looking at Lundy Bancroft's book "Why Does He Do That?". I thought about your W's allegations when I was reading this. The author has been working in counselling programs for abusive men for many years - in fact he started off one of the first ones. I know this is written for women, but he has many insights into the mindset and behavior patterns of abusive men. Some of the key features are control, a sense of entitlement, and disrespect.

Now, I know the book says that abusive men behave differently in public from what they do inside the abusive relationship where nobody sees. But Bancroft noted that when they are talking revealingly about themselves under stress, they give out a set of justifications and explanations for their behaviors and themselves which are quite noticeable. You have been posting here revealingly about yourself under stress, and as per Wicker Man's post above, you don't sound at all like you have the mindset and attitudes described in that book. Unless you have carefully crafted and maintained a fake compassionate and helpful persona for use on this website in order to enlist us as your own legion of flying monkeys (and how would that even help you if we were just validating an imaginary person), you aren't even close to the attitude that Bancroft's clients are taking towards their partners.

I wonder if your W is working from a tick-list of abusive behaviors or a more detailed book like this. You might see examples of some things you have done at some times in the book, and I think that nearly every man or indeed woman would. One of Bancroft's main points is that context and pattern and the underlying attitudes and mindset are really important to include when considering whether or not a particular incident or behavior "makes" someone an abuser. You said just above that you always put your wife first - that's one example of something that is the reverse of an abuser's attitude to their partner as described by Bancroft.

I think reading this book might help arm you with some sound material to put up against any allegations that your W persists with, and also demonstrate that you have considered and researched her allegations seriously, rather than dismissing them out of hand as the rantings of a crazy woman, which dismissal could itself be cited as indicative of an abusive attitude. You might even want to start a conversation with her on the topic of abuse on the basis of the book, but maybe just stick to what I did with my H, and don't actually give the book, just recite whole chunks of it! At any rate, I think it would help you to read it and get a good understanding of what she is trying to put on you and some ideas of how to respond.

I hope that helps, I will be praying for you.

BetterLanes x
Enabler

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »

Thanks you Betterlanes, this sounds like an interesting book that I'd like to read. Maybe the idea of framing what is and isn't abusive would be helpful to concrete my assertion that I am not abusive as much as the assertion that my W is abusive. I will not shy away that I have done, and said abusive things, I am sure we all have in the heat of battle. I have sensitivities, maybe some of which are as a result of 21 years with my wife... .no excuses, I need to learn them and need to continue to address them.

I'd love to have the mindset which lends itself to being manipulative and contorting other peoples view of reality it would make my job a lot easier as I'd be far better at bluffing. Unfortunately I am a terrible liar, I have more 'tells' than I can think of and I think I go bright red with guilt every-time I tell even the smallest white lie... .hence why I tend to be brutally honest and confrontational... .until the last year (BPD Training). I'm highly susceptible to deflection as I will instantly assume and want to validate whether or not I was being out of line. As FF said on another thread, his T trained him to be comfortable with other people being angry, and comfortable with other people being angry with him. 

One thing I really struggle with is the bizarre and unbelievable/irrelevant excuses. Again, last night she was pursuing me to sit down and discuss a finance spreadsheet for the divorce. I have not done this spreadsheet yet, primarily on the back of the fact that there have been so many false starts in this divorce process where I have started the work that I have essentially given up "being ready". When I stated the facts of the delays, using dates and times of practically every element the excuses just poured out, none of which had a meaningful basis. She accused me of attacking her, to which I replied that I was sorry she felt that I was attacking her , I was trying to just state the facts... .no it was not kind (but neither was it unkind), no it was not sensitive to her feelings but it was the cold hard facts and I left her to work her way through it... .or not as the case was.

I have to say that I am utterly unhappy at the moment, desperately, to the core dissatisfied with my current existence. I have chosen to endure it, and endure it I will, but it's thoroughly unpleasant on multiple levels.

Enabler

BetterLanes

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »

Hang in there Enabler, this season will pass.

Like you said in the first part of this thread, she is interpreting reality through a variety of lenses, telling herself stories about you and then picking out evidence to reinforce them. She might have to be making excuses and justifications to herself in her head a lot of the time, maybe that's why they come spilling out so easily. I can see how facts like the ones you had could be a real problem for her!

Praying for your hurt heart,

BL x
Enabler

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »

I dare say that she doesn’t want to tell me the real reason why she has delayed and procrastinated for so long, maybe it would require too much guilt and shame or maybe, just maybe it would reveal weakness in her resolve which she is so desperate to maintain to ensure she ‘gets the job done’... .since I’m her mind I have ‘talked her around’ so many times before.

This evening triggered emotional memories. She very politely suggested to the kids that they ask me how my day had gone, something I might add she rarely did during the relationship and was always a point of hurt for me that she never seemed to care how my day was. Anyway, the kids ask and I tell them that I had an interesting meeting with a very angry man, they asked and I told them the highlights. They lost interest pretty quickly which was to be expected. W was still engaged and continued the conversation, however she couldn’t remain focussed, she became adgetated by things around her, she was distracted and it felt as though she was utterly uninterested in what I had to say. I genuinely believe that she did want to listen but you could almost hear the hum of her emotional adgetation in the comversation dynamic. And here’s the thing... .I rarely did ever get to tell her about my day, I rarely got the oppprtunity to share and I rarely got to teach her about my world. She had very little interest in learning about the world outside her bubble of feelings and would just claim “I don’t get any of your work stuff”. She has spent years telling me I don’t listen to her, I don’t understand her, and I’m many respects I clearly didn’t understand her till I found BPD, but it wasn’t for not trying. I knew her role at work inside out, I knew the characters, the trials and tribulations. I wanted to know these things because they were important to her, I wanted to walk along side her in her life journey, offer advice (not always wanted or appreciated)  and support. I didn’t try to control these things for her, I have given a different perspective but I wanted to learn, I wanted connection with her and she appreciated that... .it’s odd to sense how little she really knows about me, as though it was unimportant to her and maybe it wasn’t.

Enabler

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »

So, I now reached the ripe old age of 40 as of yesterday    . Unlike some I don't see this as a problem and I'm not about to have a meltdown (again)... .it's like being 30 but with more unnecessary ear and nose hair. So, yesterday was always tee'd up to be a bit on the weird side, friends all busy with work, kids at school and no one really set up to make a natural fuss of me on my big day. I'd planned to go for a long hike in the local countryside and then take the kids out for cocktails and food after school. anything different would just be an added bonus.

So I wake up to a fanfare of breakfast, presents, balloons and banners. Kids were on fire and STBExW was doing a great job of helping the kids make a fuss of me. She'd come up with an excellent present idea which was an experience I could enjoy with the kids which was way more meaningful than some bit of expensive tat. So, she asks if I want some company on my walk... .I respond "I'm totally cool either way, fine with going on my own but more than happy for you to join me". So, she decides to come along... .I can't deny my anxiety was through the roof at this point as I wasn't sure whether or not I had the ability to stay grounded for 6 hours of weirdness... .

We start walking and I fire up the conversation topic by saying "So how's your world?". I've not had a conversation about 'her world' in 18m+ so the response to this could make or break the walk. Anyway, we start talking about her Christian work in a local prison. It's a very interesting role as a pastoral assistant and she meets a lot of very very sick people who are in a HIGHLY emotionally charged environments when they are HIGHLY sensitive to emotions. Many of the inmates are in prison because of their impulsive/angry/violent/manipulative/deceitful behaviour and I don't think it's unfair to say that many sound like they would get an instant BPD diagnosis if they were ever assessed. There's a huge amount of self harm and a huge number of suicide attempts. So... .anyway... .back to the conversation. I listened intently to my W, asked very few questions and avoided any kind of conjecture. I just listened with no judgement and asked questions I thought might prompt further discussion and keep things on a tact that hugged the emotional difficulties / therapy options / recovery line of discussion. Ultimately I was keeping the discussion as close as possible to her... .without being about her. She discussed in great detail how the women were very deceitful, yet they believed their own lies, they were manipulative, they took no responsibility, often they had very painful personal backgrounds, they would lash out when things didn't go their way and they would have extreme emotional reactions to small disappointments, how the women were so self-centered... .among other things. I have to say that I thought at points she was going to make/see parallels about herself in what she was saying... .but nope, nothing, zip, jack, nada. Not one muscle of her body language gave me a single wink that she felt that any such behaviours had any relation to her in the slightest. We spent a very very large percentage of the walk focused on her life, her jobs, her holiday. She asked me very very little about me or my thoughts on things and I only turned things to my feelings as and when it felt appropriate. Yes, I was the one who was asking her or stimulating conversation but it didn't feel much like she had any interest in asking. 'The relationship' was not discussed nor was the future other than small glances of indication that things might be different going forward. It was as though someone had wound back the clock 2 years, replaced me with a more emotionally intelligent person and we were just going for a leisurely hike as a 'normal' married couple, we laughed, we joked, we discussed and we enjoyed. I'd like to say it was nice (and it was), and a less naive me would be more excited about the experience, but I'm kinda indifferent about it, since in the grand scheme of things I don't think it changes anything, she won't see it as meaningful and I don't think I should even guess as to her motivations for coming and enjoying.

We had a great evening with the kids as a whole family, everyone was happy laughing and joking with each other. A small dysregulation by her in the restaurant due to getting sauce on her top (and claiming she needed to go home immediately, then refused to eat) was handled in a totally different way to the past, I brushed past it, continued to engage the kids and let her get over it. She later apologized at home about her 'moaning' to which I responded 'these things happen', she got slightly annoyed by that comment believing I meant about the sauce and got defensive... .I quickly corrected and said "I didn't mean the top, I meant the moaning"... .she went to bed.

Yesterday was what it was, it was nice respite from the otherwise relentless monotony of relationship disintegration. It's a shame to have these brief glimpses of how life could return to some semblance of normality, how my new skills could make the relationship better if she just allowed 'us' the opportunity to repair. The effort on her behalf was appreciated none the less and she made what could have been a bleak day very enjoyable.  The weirdness continues!

BetterLanes

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »

Hi Enabler,

Happy birthday for yesterday! Wow, that must have been quite a strange experience, and also a nice respite as you say!

Do you think this has something to do with the message from your W at the start of this thread about remembering the happy times? What she did seems to fit very well with that, she was creating a happy day for the family, and even actually for you as a couple by joining you on the walk. Maybe the message was sent as part of her thought process regarding your upcoming milestone birthday, rather than coming out of the blue like it seemed? She knew the birthday was coming and the kids knew it was coming, and for her to ignore and opt out of it would have been strange and also make her into the "bad person" in the family, so she must have been considering what to do about it for a while. She was most likely in the process of organizing the birthday gift and fanfare when she sent you the message (or at any rate I would have had to be, maybe she is happier with last minute arrangements than I am!).

BetterLanes x
Enabler

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »

Maybe although we worked out that the message was sent on our wedding anniversary... .something I totally overlooked. She very much likes to 'hedge her bets' and see how she feels on the day. I assume this maybe why she left it so late to offer to come.

It was a nice experience, and I should probably take little other than just that away from the day. It was nice to be part of a caring cohesive family for a day at the very least, but I can't deny it adds to my confusion and personal frustration that given the evidence of what could be okay... .why can we/she not make it so. I suppose what compounds the frustration is that had we have both been atheists with no belief in the sanctity of marriage I could somewhat deal with the idea that we didn't need to 'die trying'... .but we do, we always have and it's one of the cornerstones of her outward personal values is that she is a Christian, I am a Christian, we got married in a church because we both believed we wanted our marriage to be consecrated by God... .and yet here we are, able to attain 'normal' yet going down a path of great destruction, away from the prescribed way of a Christian couple. Even if I had wavering beliefs especially after my father died... .she didn't yet she is the one that feels she doesn't need to 'die trying'.

Odd... .

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

You did so well with your new skills, Enabler.    It's an interesting place to find yourself being "meta" to the process of participating in a relationship. And good on you for asking those questions and getting her talking about her work with inmates. It sure is amazing when they are unable to notice that what they're observing in others is exactly what they're doing themselves. Good job having the tolerance not to try and drive that point home, frustrating though it was.  

Oh and happy birthday. 

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Enabler

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »

It was nice to connect on a level and hopefully it was clear that I understood the mechanics of what is going on, even from the perspective of why inmates stop taking mood stabilising medication when they leave prison (bpdfamily video on schizophrenia). It was a very interesting conversation. I also got the opportunity to congratulate her on a more genuine level regarding her new job, we talked about the challenges in the job and some of the characters. Certainly from my perspective there was a huge backlog of her world I needed to catch up on. This granularity is the stuff that feeds a relationship, information sharing, understanding and appreciation... .starving the relationship of this has meant starving any connection, I guess this is intentional because she doesn’t want any chance of connection.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »

It's good that you're strengthening the friendship part of your relationship, since whatever she is planning in the future, you will still be coparenting the children.

And you're leaving the door open to a resumption of more possibilities, should the relationship with OM crash and burn.

Enabler

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »

The later situation would be a horrific decision to make.

juju2

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »

Enabler,

Have read a lot of your story.

My experience isnt in a marriage situation, and for me, it was.

After we separated last March, continued to see one another, then, october, i was dropped... .

During that time, i was reading a lot on relationships.  I found divorce busters.  The book.

I have the 2nd of the series... .
There is information about what one person can do... .in a relationship... .it also talks about dire situations, pending divorce... .somehow it is a comforting book... .

just sharing.  Thank you for what you have shared w me... .and many others,  j
Enabler

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 05:50:08 AM »

Hey Juju,

I read the preview of the book last night. I certainly like the mantra of his program of less analysis and more actions. I also found it interesting about the knock on effects of a divorce. I'm acutely aware of these impacts, especially on the children and certainly at the forefront of my mind when doing everything I can to avoid divorce. I can see no good coming out of ripping our little family to smithereens but there's very little I can do to stop that. TBH I didn't find much comfort in the first section reading what carnage is likely to lay in the divorces wake and the long term damage it's likely to cause to my children... .Not one bit.

Telling doesn't work... .showing does. I've decided all to late it's the only way. You can state the facts  but you might as well be beating her with a stick telling her what she's doing wrong or how she "got it wrong". My guess is that the second part of the book (non-preview) teaches how to take a different path, make unilateral decisions to 'go a different way', not engage in conflict and not perpetuate the conflict. I'm all for this.

juju2

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

Enabler,

That book helped me, and there is reasearch behind it.

BetterLanes

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »

Hi Enabler,

She starts to go searching for the 'thing' that's missing to fill her emptiness.

My point is that babies and progress make her feel complete, she has everything she wants... .then 'poof' the emptiness returns and it doesn't go away. She goes looking for the reason for the emptiness. She found God, she found the other man... .they are filling the emptiness at the moment, and the reason for the emptiness is her 'abusive relationship'.

I'll put this over on your thread. Your relationship timeline is actually spookily similar to mine in terms of the timing and circumstances of the major events. Maybe that's why I noticed this difference.

Would you say that your W "found God" (from the above quote) subsequent to your marriage - in terms of having and/or expressing a "born-again" level of conversion experience? Indicators of this might include a sudden increase in Bible study or Christian reading, joining or getting serious about involvement in a new church, attending an Alpha course or equivalent. You said earlier on this thread that you were both Christians when you got married to the extent of wanting to marry in church, and that her faith hasn't wavered, but has your W had an experience since marriage that for her represented a step change in her level of Christian commitment?

If that is the case, I wonder if your W and/or the OM might be using this passage from 1 Corinthians 7 to inform or justify some of her actions and attitudes.

10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

-  I have seen this passage read (indeed by Chuck Swindoll) to mean that someone who has been born again after a marriage is not required to remain in the marriage, since they are a new creation. Of course in Paul's day the majority of Christians weren't Christians in name only, for some kind of social reason, vaguely because they were brought up that way, etc, since becoming a Christian was a choice that had a massive impact on your life circumstances. It is easier to apply this passage in the situation where someone who had never even heard of Christianity hears the teachings and declares themselves to be a "believer" and joins the very identifiable community of other believers. It is harder to do that in a "Christian country" where you could spend your whole life going to church without ever really having a conversion experience.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this passage might be a thing for your W, and if she could be looking out for evidence to validate it. So that would be any evidence that you are actually in the category of "unbeliever" at least compared to her, plus any evidence that you are not willing to live with her and in the process of leaving. If that's so, you could try to avoid showing her anything she could interpret as that evidence and/or try to deliberately show her the opposite. My own born-again conversion experience was at university while I was in a relationship with my H but before marriage, and I actually did have a relationship-ending conversation with him after and because of that experience following this same line of reasoning. (What can I say? I'm bad at following through  )

BetterLanes x
Enabler

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

Thanks Betterlanes,

Prior to university I moved from a Baptist Church where I had grown up to a more evangelical church. It was around the time that there was something called the Toronto movement... .basically a huge outpouring of the Holy Spirit globally. It was a weird old time and I had some pretty intense Christian experiences that I am not 100% sure I was ready for at the time but have stuck with me as 'unexplainable' and really been cornerstones of me being unable to completely discount God with science or rational thought. Being thrown over 3 rows of chairs, landing on the floor and staying in a paralyzed state for 15 minutes, laughing so hard I was on the floor in hysterics for 10 minutes (on my own in the middle of a sermon) because someone 'was told' to came into the church with a trumpet and sound it half way through the sermon... .no one else was laughing and I am definitely NOT THAT GUY. Speaking in tongues multiple times. Anyway, all pretty weird stuff.

I went to university where I met W in the first week. She had been bought up going to church through Girls brigade and it was meaningful to her but I don't think she would have said that she was a Christian other than by name.

Christianity was important to both of us, enough to want to get married in a church and both of us agreed and understood that we wanted to get married in front of God. We didn't attend church together nor did we refer to ourselves as practicing Christians post the marriage until about 2004 when she did an Alpha course after her sister did one. She would say that this was her born again moment... .in faith only and was still not 'living it'. I attended church with her on occasions but looking back the experiences pre-university had somewhat meant that I was trying to fight what I had experienced rather than it bring me closer. I would say that we attended church more regularly in around 2006-7 to the point where we were attending regularly together at one church.

Her faith grew and grew and grew and grew, mine stalled especially when my father was sick. During my fathers illness she started attending a mixture of a super conservative local church and a super evangelical CofE spin off called HTB. She too had some powerful spiritual experiences and also spoke in tongues whilst at church with OM. They very much shared some deeply emotional, powerful and intimate Christian experiences... .often whilst I was at home looking after our 3 kids. It clashed with a time that I was rejecting Christianity on scientific and cognitive bias grounds... .or at least attempting to.

I don't want to belittle my wife's Christian experiences BUT... .she experiences emotions more intensely than say me... .I find church very emotional, always have, always will. Some of the more evangelical services and worship are VERY VERY powerfully emotional. I mean people cry at a Madonna concert, I think there's something missing from someone who doesn't feel at least something when they go to a church service with 3000 people and a worship band to rival Live Aid. Not to take away from God, but I'm pretty sure some of the powerful experiences she has had are at least in part to dissociation and her liable emotions. I now feel like I'm in some way detracting from the power of God and the Holy spirit, even blaspheming... .but that's where I am. I think she feels emotions more powerfully, she goes to emotionally powerful events and feels like she is overcome by the holly spirit. Her and her OM take this feeling and interpret it to be 'signs' which reinforce their other views that they are being filled up for purpose, to challenging their marital bondage i.e. that God condones their relationship because he has put them together to have powerful experiences to be filled with the spirit to enter the battle against... .ummmm... .me. This conflicts with scripture, but they are finding work arounds for that, because the the 'messages' and the 'spiritual power they have been given' is 'telling them' they are right.

I don't say this lightly in the slightest. It feels horribly wrong to diminish her faith, a faith that I believe in... .but, I think her emotional intensity is clouding her judgement. Other examples of dissociation would be her interpretation of a very intense "feeling of detachment" at her Grandmothers funeral (they were very very close as she was her go-to when her mother was being horrible to her)... .her interpretation was that she was filled with the spirit. When she was at the top of a mountain a year ago she saw an angel... .this happened to be a time when she was very very scared because she was on her own at the top of a mountain and fog came in and she was lost. After that same trip she came back to the house which was empty and she believed the house was haunted and there was an evil presence. She sat in the corner trembling. I believe this was actually abandonment fears.

This sounds like I have over processed things.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest