Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 07:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions to Ask Doctor- Suggestions please  (Read 406 times)
Jersey G

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:28 AM »

Good morning, BPD Family!  I am meeting privately with my husband's doctor today.  If you could ask anything, what would it be?  We are separated, and I am not seeing a way to reconcile.  I want to know if he has any success stories.  Realistically, how healthy can a relationship be? 
Thank you for your help!
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »

Did your husband sign a HIPPA release or are you asking general questions about BPD?

Jersey G

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »

Yes, he did. 
Jersey G

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »

These are the questions I asked and the Dr's answers.  My husband has a diagnosis of Dependent Personality Disorder with Borderline Tendencies.

1.   What percent of people with DPD/BPD make a full recovery? None... .but some can make improvements enough to not meet all the criteria.

2.   In marriage, where one person is DPD, what percent end in divorce? Most all

3.   Do you personally know any success stories that I can glean from? None personally

4.   What percent of people with DPD relapse when back in a relationship? Most- given the very unhealthy dependency

5.   Do people with DPD need continual therapy? Yes- it is a life-long mental disability

6.   What percentage of people with DPD commit suicide or physically harm others? Hard to answer- but creating the "perfect storm" could move someone to take their life.  (Depression + spouse leaving + learning DPD is not "curable"

7.   How does one discern whether or not a person with DPD has affected lasting change given they parrot what they want you to hear? (Mirroring) You have to watch for behavioral changes.

8.   How long do you anticipate therapy before any real/lasting improvement?  Very small improvements have been made, and my husband is seeing a counselor and psychologist 3x a week.  Most people don't progress very far even with counseling.

9.   What would it realistically take to have a successful, healthy marriage with a person with DPD?  The spouse would need to realize she/he'd be living with someone with a mental illness.  It would require boundaries, management, lots of therapy, and the realization that it wouldn't ever be "healthy".

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »

Those are excellent, well-thoughtout questions, Jersey G. How do you feel, having heard the doctor's answers?   

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Jersey G

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:42:32 PM »

It is all so surreal.  To add another layer of challenge, my husband's doctor hasn't told my husband yet that this is a lifetime diagnosis- nor the almost certain probability that once back in a relationship, the very unhealthy dependency returns.  I met with my husband (in a public setting for only 30 min) yesterday, and it was horrible knowing he has hope that he can "kick this" in order to restore our marriage.  I called his doctor today- basically saying I will need to wait to meet with my husband until he tells him the truth about his illness.  It is back to walking on eggshells when I meet with him.  I'm so concerned that I'll divulge the truth- setting off the "perfect storm" and he'll take his life.  I know now that it is not my responsibility to "fix", but I just can't sit with him pretending to not know the gravity of the situation-afraid I'll say the wrong thing.  I asked the doctor to let me know when he thinks my husband would be able to hear the truth.  I haven't heard back... .Prayers appreciated! 
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »

4.   What percent of people with DPD relapse when back in a relationship? Most- given the very unhealthy dependency

5.   Do people with DPD need continual therapy? Yes- it is a life-long mental disability

7.   How does one discern whether or not a person with DPD has affected lasting change given they parrot what they want you to hear? (Mirroring) You have to watch for behavioral changes.

9.   What would it realistically take to have a successful, healthy marriage with a person with DPD?  The spouse would need to realize she/he'd be living with someone with a mental illness.  It would require boundaries, management, lots of therapy, and the realization that it wouldn't ever be "healthy".

I think you have gotten some wise and reasonable answers.  Totally understandable that this is surreal for you.  I would expect that feeling to continue for a while.

I understand where the doctor is coming from, he didn't seem to give you much hope.  While I certainly don't want to overpromise... .I think giving you "appropriate" hope is... well... appropriate.

1.  Your best bet to avoid relapse (most likely "minimize" is better word) is to have strong boundaries.  Boundaries are my number 1 tool to stabilize my life and my relationship. 

For context, my wife most likely has PPD (Paranoid Personality Disorder) or BPD with paranoia as a core thing.  She's been evaluated by several psychologists but hasn't "stayed still" for them long enough to firm up a formal diagnosis.  My behavior in response to her behavior is really the same, regardless of the "formality" of the diagnosis. 

Said another way, I understand "why" my wife is the way she is and I also understand what parts of he "psyche" I need to "put bubble wrap around" and treat very carefully.  Basically, I never say "you are wrong" (her issues come from her abusive FOO).

2.  Yes... this is "life long" as in it is doubtful they will ever say "he is cured".  Think of it this way.  Many people have a knee surgery and then go on to be active, go skiing and other things, yet they still wear a brace.  They aren't "cured" and they have a "life long" knee issue. 

You and your husband will need to learn how to move through life together and use appropriate "braces".  There will be times when he relapses (99.99% chance of this) and will be uncooperative, you will need to "put on your own brace" and move forward. 

3.  Focus on consistent behavior changes.  Primarily from your husband, but this also applies to you.  If you are inconsistent in applying tools, you will actually make things worse.  That is a very important concept.

4.  Find a T for you, hopefully one familiar with helping spouses navigate these "uncharted" waters.  I've been seeing a PhD level Psychologist for several years now.  Massive benefits to me, my relationship and my wife.

Lastly (for now).  To your comment about not knowing what to say or "saying the wrong thing".  I encourage you to be authentic and just say that.

"Babe... .I'm trying to understand.  At the moment I haven't a clue what to say about (xyz).  I can listen... .and I'm here for you.  I'll try to be thoughtful about these matters which are obviously very important to you."

That's a bit long, really only appropriate for when he is calm.  If he is worked up stick with "I don't know what to say... "

FF

Jersey G

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:29:38 PM »

FF!  I haven't been here for many many weeks, and just now saw your response!  Sharing your personal experience has the power to help so many-so thank you!

To be honest, the biggest issue right now for me is that I have no desire to enter back into the relationship, given how toxic it was for over 3 decades- not just to me- but to my daughter.  She's 20 and has special needs.  Teaching her to have boundaries is so challenging.  She loves her dad but finally feels safe to be home.  She actually said she's finally starting to "like herself" since he left 6 months ago.  Not having peace at home for so long and then finally obtaining it... .I can't even imagine going back.  I am wrestling with God's will in all this... .but do have peace regarding our separation.  Divorce is a hard pill to swallow... .but may be where we are headed.  One day at a time- right?  I have been seeing a therapist for about 7+ months now.  You are so right- it has been a life-line.  I'm learning so much about myself and the many ways I need to grow! 

Thank you again for your response and I again am sorry for my late response!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest