Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ketamine halfway done  (Read 580 times)
Momofadultbpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: November 05, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »

My adult daughter is halfway through her ketamine treatment. Last week she did MWF so today was treatment number 4. She had a great weekend and was pleasant and chatty when I picked her up this morning. She told the PA at the clinic her mood score was 4.5 out of 5 with 5 being the happiest. She was a 1 last Monday prior to the first treatment.

She had another very pleasant out of body experience,which is the goal. She described seeing a lot of pink (her
Favorite color) and feeling that she was melting into an Hermès silk scarf. She described it was pleasant and comfortable and even better than her pleasant and comfortable experience she had last Friday.

She woke up confused for about 3-5 minutes. She was hungry. This time she didn’t want to wait to make sure her stomach was okay and so we drove through McDonald’s and she ate a Happy Meal and drank a milkshake. No nausea or vomiting.

So the ketamine is doing what we hoped for. It’s too early to know of course what the future holds, but so far this is the best we could have hoped for.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »

So the ketamine is doing what we hoped for.

great news! thats gotta be a relief, though i can understand being cautiously optimistic.

how long has she been using this treatment?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »

Hi MomofadultBPD,

I'm so happy for you all! 

Thanks for continuing to share your experience. It's great to hear success stories.

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Momofadultbpd

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »

This is the first time my daughter  has tried ketamine. For those interested in her past history check out my earlier thread: Ketamine and DBT
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:33:22 AM »

Go your girl  Bullet: contents of text or email (click to insert in post) I'm so pleased she's continuing to feel relief 

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Momofadultbpd

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

Treatment 5 this morning went well. She had another  vivid, pleasant, colorful,  out of body experience. All good.

This is the longest run of days (6) in a row where my daughter was nice and pleasant and considerate and a true joy to be around.

So far I don’t see any side effects at all. She usually rests or sleeps a Couple of hours after the treatment. But when she wakes up she is eager to do some kind of activity. She has painted, gone for a long walk, gardened, gone to a
Movie, gone out  to dinner.

All good. Hopeful. Peace is back.
Momofadultbpd

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »

Today was uneventful but a little disappointing. She got 140 mg of ketamine (highest dose). She had a smile on her face most of the time (eyes closed) and she had never done that before. I interpreted this as she was having a better than ever experience.

But when she woke up rather than saying it was beautiful and gushing over the wonder of it all she said “I’m  tired”. She seemed relatively flat compared to previous euphoric mood of all the previous treatments. She couldn’t describe anything that happened.

She was quiet in the car and didn’t want to get food food as she usually does. She just wanted to go home and take a nap. She was polite but it seemed a little forced. I felt like she wanted to go home and sleep and be left alone.

The doctor said that since she had the “out of body” experience that the goal was achieved. She didn’t make anything out of the “I’m tired” comment and her failure to describe anything she saw during the treatment .

The plan is another infusion in one
month. Then after that it is up to my daughter to schedule infusions as she sees fit.

She has 20 mg dissolve on the tongue ketamine tablets she is supposed to take around dinner time every 2-3 days. She can’t drive after she takes the ketamine and she is supposed To “chill out” on those ketamine nights.

She did a post-treatment psychological questionnaire before today’s treatment. Her Depression and anxiety scores Apparently showed the most Improvement this clinic had ever seen. Her depression score was zero and her anxiety score was cut by more than half. She admitted to being a little anxious about the end of treatments and was worried that the effects would wear off.

She took a 2 hour nap after today’s treatment.
When she woke up she felt good and was going out with friends. 

She starts DBT the week after next. She is in the best place she been since she was a child. So I’m very hopeful the DBT will help her learn new patterns for stress tolerance.

wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »

That's amazing to hear your DD's results are the best the clinic has seen after this round of treatment. I hope you feel some reassurance this last treatment was not out of the norm. It's understandable your DD's anxious about the next period, hopefully engaging in DBT at this time will provide her confidence there is more out there to help her make changes, learn the skills and tools, learning about herself.

This is such a turnaround from where you were, how are you? Does your DD live on her own?

WDx

Momofadultbpd

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

Her dad and I are doing well because we have a first
Row seat to the results. . Her 2 siblings live out of state and it’s going to take a lot of time and healing for them To even give her a chance again. I understand how they feel but that breaks my heart. I am very cautiously tip-toeing around slowly introducing the subject of  A turn-around in their sister due to cutting edge treatment. .

Not surprisingly they have no plans to come home
For Thanksgiving or Christmas. It never goes well. But as I see it it gives their sister more time to do DBT and be in a better
Place when she does finally see her siblings.

If the ketamine amd DBT amd time are a great treatment for my daughter’s mental illness then there is time for the family to heal. I just need to be patient.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

I watched and waited, like you are and it makes sense to see how your daughter does, for her. Early days. My DD took steps forwards, one back, one forward, it was akin to sliding doors for 2 years. She's an only child. I think you are right to let your children catch up in their own time and when they are ready to, when your DD is ready too.

You mention your daughter's friends, do they understand, are they a support group to your daughter and you and your husband?

WDx

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »

How are things going?  Are you and your husband holding up well?  Post an update if and when you'd like. 

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest