Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 01:35:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The other man will never understand what it’s like  (Read 337 times)
Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« on: November 18, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »

I was thinking today that the other man that had broken my family will not truly understand what that’s like.

He has a back problem that has gotten worse he’s about 9 years younger than me and uses a cane the last I saw him he looked he was in a lot of pain.

Anyways they’ve broken up for a few months I saw that because I felt it exuBPDw wasn’t bothering me and she got over the top aggressive towards me. That and I ask the kids about their ex step dad and they say he needs a place that’s wheel chair accessible. If they were really together they would of made that happen.

These thoughts came about because I was thinking about my youngest S7 and the displaced anger that he has I told him something and twice this weekend he stomped off upstairs I didn’t chase him I waited for him to calm down and come downstairs.

He was rude to me at the dollar store too this weekend he wanted something and said I’m not telling you again because you didn’t understand dad and he’s angry and doesn’t want to get the toy that he had wanted.

The only thing that I can do is not react to him and show him compassion he’s not going to get that from his mom he’s split black most of the time.

I guess the whole point of this is it breaks my heart that he’s this angry he did get better by Sunday, today. I can’t blame of this on my ex regardless of the other man hadn’t come along one way or the other the r/s wouldn’t of lasted because of the destructive behaviors from both sides I can only my part and not have an automatic reflex’s with him.

My T said something interesting this week she said “With awareness you have more choices or your going to react on reflex if you’re not aware”

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Mustbeabetterway

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »

Hi Mutt, parenting is full of challenges.      I'm sorry you and your son had a rough time.  It's good that you are aware that you have options.  In Codependent No More there is a chapter about not being blown about by every wind.  It's about choosing when and how to react or choosing not to react sometimes. 

Mustbe
Mutt
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »

Quote from: Mustbeabetterway
In Codependent No More there is a chapter about not being blown about by every wind.  It's about choosing when and how to react or choosing not to react sometimes. 

I wanted to make him happy tonight I played a game that we had not played in a while and it made him happy. There’s a reason why a person is angry you can’t forget that you have to look under the surface...

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »

is S7 taking the breakup badly?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

That’s a good question I hadn’t  thought about that I know that the kids liked him except for D12 she didn’t like him. S7 was attached to him although ther bf could be hard on him the same goes with uBPDex she rarely talks about him he  has a strong personality I don’t think that he’ll follow her in everything that she says.

D12 says that she’s transgender and S10 has a learning disability they’re like a validation medallion for the ex S7 doesn’t have anything like that but I can see emotional problems developing later on if misdirected anger is aimed at him.

Insom

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »

Hi,  Mutt.  I hear how hard it is when someone you love has an unpleasant emotion like anger or sadness.

Sometimes, when my husband has felt angry or sad, I've felt those feelings, too.  Interestingly, he doesn't like it when I try to do or say something to "make him happy" because he experiences those types of interactions as invalidating.  What he really wants when he's going through a rough patch is to feel heard.  So, I've learned over time that things go better in our relationship - we connect better - when I can validate his feelings even the darker ones like anger or sadness.  It's been good for both of us, actually, for me to learn to do this.  One result is I'm more comfortable/easy going in general with him expressing what he feels whether the feeling are pleasant or not.

How do you feel about validating your son when he feels angry?  Is that something that feels OK to do? 

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »

S7 was attached to him

they no longer see him since the breakup, do i have that right?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »

Quote from: Insom
What he really wants when he's going through a rough patch is to feel heard.  So, I've learned over time that things go better in our relationship - we connect better - when I can validate his feelings even the darker ones like anger or sadness.

Trying to make him happy instead of validating his feelings is fixing isn't it? It's not like I can't make him happy it depends on the situation. That's a good observation Insom.

Quote from: once removed
they no longer see him since the breakup, do i have that right?

That's right she tells the kids that he's not there because their place is not wheelchair accessible and that they were looking for one. When she started menacing me was back in June things relatively quiet before then for at least 4 years she was too busy splitting him black something big happend in her life for her to shift focus on me, I can't wait until this is over I don't interact with her I just don't want the attention I'm hoping that she finds someone else soon.

She was really selfish she interupted everyone in the family because she couldn't cope one day the kids are our old house with me and her and the next they moved out in their own place with mom and then he practically moves in 30 days later at their new place so she forced everyone into this situation without thinking about their needs she was thinking about hers and now he's gone from their lives almost as mysteriously as he entered their lives again she's not thinking about how her decisions or impulsives choices affects thoe around her.

That being said he did take a huge problem off of my hands because I was out of the fire and he was in it and he's in the same situation I'm in now, I just mean that we're both split black.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest