Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 09:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my ambivalence is turning colder  (Read 351 times)
eeps

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 25, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »

i've been really ambivalent about getting back together with my uBPDbf at the end of September. i feel like he bullied me into it, to some extent. he no longer lives with me, and that's helped a lot. at first, we set up "dates" and were both very sweet to each other and the step back felt constructive and good.
but then shortly into it, any time things would flare up a bit, i noticed that i had a very short fuse. i've gone off on him about what was presently happening, but i would also get upset about past issues, even issues that i've never mentioned as problems in the past. while i've been somewhat glad to be starting to express my needs and feelings, they've come out in really messy ways. i'm not proud, and i don't like the chaos.
i feel like i'm constantly being triggered and i can no longer keep it together.
his constant neediness is making me numb. his constant worry about what so-&-so thinks about him, who unfollowed him on instagram, what *i* must have done to make so-&-so think that or unfollow him... .i just can't! it's constant emotional drama and i am so worn down.
physical space helps, but it feels like a band-aid. he bombards me with texts over the slightest change in the atmosphere and i have to assure him over and over that i love him and everything is ok.
that alone is making everything not ok. it's making me not want to hang out with him as much.
i crave peace and an end to chaotic feelings.
his parents came to town for Thanksgiving and he didn't invite me to join them. it hurt, but i knew that i would feel weird around them after all he and i have been through, so i didn't tell him it hurt to not be invited. i went to a friend's potluck instead, which was wonderful, but i was definitely a bit distracted with hurt and confusion with "why am i in a relationship that feels so strained? why am i in a relationship with someone who i actively try to avoid at times?" perhaps for this reason, i had a bit too much red wine and left the party earlier than most, walked home, and passed out by 11pm.
the day after Thanksgiving, uBPDbf was upset with me that he didn't hear from me enough on Thanksgiving and that i didn't reach out to him to meet up after dinner. text bombarded me with how disappointed he was that we didn't meet up, even though we had no plans to do so. i let him know that i was asleep by 11, and that i'm sorry he's feeling upset, but if he wanted to meet up we should have made plans to do that before Thanksgiving. that helped a bit.
his parents left town yesterday and he had me over for leftovers. i couldn't stay the night because i have a big deadline coming up fast and needed to get back to work. we had a nice dinner, but i could tell he was feeling a lot of emotional turmoil and neediness. and i know i'm not reacting great to this. it's making my defenses go up rather quickly... .it's a turn-off. and it makes me mad, i feel like he's trying to manipulate all of my time when he knows i have things to do that are important to me. as soon as i left his place, he started text bombarding me with all the "this isn't working" "you don't care"... .etc etc. and it just makes me so upset because now i'm at home trying to get my work done and i can't concentrate because the texts keep coming and i'm feeling like i let him down by refusing to put him first.
as i'm writing this he's text bombing me. i've shut my phone off, but i keep getting notifications on my computer (i thought i turned that  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) cloud off! ) i can't get my work done, but i'm also clearly making things worse with him! i tried to call him and calmly talk it out, but i very quickly got triggered and started getting really angry. i knew that was just bad news, so i got off the phone.

this part of Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has Borderline Personality feels like what is happening right now:
Excerpt
at the end of any relationship there can be a series of breakups and make-ups – disengaging is often a process, not an event. However when this process becomes protracted, it becomes toxic. At the end of a “BPD” relationship, this can happen. The emotional needs that fueled the relationship bond initially, are now fueling a convoluted disengagement as one or both partners struggle against their deep enmeshment with the other and their internal conflicts about the break up.

anyway. i feel really confused. i know i do love him. but i feel extreme ambivalence when i see him lately, i feel like i've been cold and distant. and i know he feels that very much. i feel like i'm making things worse by not having a clear sense of what i want or how to move forward. and i don't feel in any state to be the stronger one and enforce boundaries effectively- and lovingly.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »

You reconnected some months ago, but in retrospect, you feel like he sort of bullied you into getting back together. Though you don't live together, the relationship is still problematic and you've noticed a short fuse on his end and you find yourself triggered.

His neediness and drama is exhausting and he bombards you with texts and needs constant reassurance. This drain on your time is getting in the way of your work. And you find your patience is running out. You care for him, but at the same time, are not sure if this relationship is what you want and you find yourself not having the strength to enforce your boundaries in a loving way.

It's good that you're looking at these feelings and examining how they might impact your future. How do you imagine the next year? The next five years?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
eeps

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »

that's a really good question, @Cat Familiar i don't know how i see the next year, and certainly not the next five! it's probably something i should really consider. i've always been pretty bad at having a "plan" and making plans. my job is all freelance work so it's constantly shifting and i don't feel much stability in that, but i'm also an artist and can't imagine having a 9-5 job ever again.
but i am getting older and future stability is something i really need to start thinking about.
as far as this particular relationship goes, i honestly hope i can move on. i don't want to still be doing this one year from now. i will be disappointed in myself if i can't get myself out of this. it feels like living on a hamster wheel.
i feel like i finally recognize that the patterns of my uBPDbf are not going to get better. when i first started reading about BPD and coming here, i was hopeful that i could learn the tools and he would go to therapy. well, he's made it pretty clear that he's not going to seek therapy and his lifestyle is to drink VERY heavily, which just exacerbates the dysregulations. i can use the tools and they help, but it's ultimately not the kind of relationship i ever hoped to be in. my needs are not being met and they will not be.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest