Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:38:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruptive probable BPD Adult son  (Read 484 times)
Allswell
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: December 16, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »

I am trapped watching my son’s destructive path get worse. I feel helpless since his brother committed suicide three years ago and I am afraid any boundaries I set will have the same outcome. He’s unbelievably verbally abusive, is now desperate for money since he quits all the great jobs he’s able to get by tucking away his disorder during interviews so he steals from me At times.  He refuses to get any help for his grief and depression.  I know logically what to do but can’t seem to do it since I am so afraid
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Feeling Better

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »

Hello Allswell, welcome.

I’d like to firstly say how sorry I am to read that three years ago you lost one of your sons to suicide, my heart truly goes out to you, and I do understand your fears regarding your other son, not surprising under the circumstances

Does your son live with you?

It is difficult to get our adult children to seek help if they choose not to, they are adults after all. I have an undiagnosed son who blames me for everything wrong in his life, is in denial that there is anything wrong with him and prefers to believe that it is me who needs help.

Although you are currently unable to help your son, you can help yourself, and posting here, as you have done, is a great step towards helping yourself. I look forward to reading more from you x 

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading ~ Lao Tzu
Merlot

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »

Hi Allswell

Along with Feeling Better, I welcome you here to the bpdfamily  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Im very sorry to hear of your loss, and the circumstances are so challenging with your son. I do hope you have some support around you and its great that you are here.

Grief is auch a personal journey for all of us. Have you thought about seeing a therapist to assist. You are both grieving over many issues and it may be helpful to understand your sons behaviour in terms of both grief and BPD and help you work through your own.

My DD27 was diagnosed three years ago with BPD and Im grieving our broken relationship and learning to accept a different one. Im learning strategies for self care and stronger communication and understanding. The board is very uswful and parents have been wonderful.

Take care and we look forward to hearing from you
Merlot

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest