Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:30:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belief that love can prevail?  (Read 385 times)
Steps31

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 21, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »

I'm confused... .

In the section of this site about surviving a breakup - https://bpdfamily.com/content/surviving-break-when-your-partner-has-borderline-personality
there is a set of what are labeled false beliefs... .

One of them is the idea that love can prevail.
Well... .if we're not doing all this work (on ourselves, on reading, research, writing, practicing, acting) for love, then what are we doing it for?

Excerpt
4) Belief that love can prevail

Once these relationships seriously rupture, they are harder to repair than most – many wounds that existed before the relationship have been opened. Of course you have a lot invested in this relationship and your partner has been an integral part of your dreams and hopes - but there are greater forces at play now. For you, significant emotional wounds have been inflicted upon an already wounded soul. To revitalize your end of the relationship, you would need to recover from your wounds and emerge as an informed and loving caretaker – it’s not a simple journey. You need compassion and validation to heal - something your partner most likely won’t understand – and you can’t provide for yourself right now. For your partner, there are longstanding and painful fears, trust issues, and resentments that have been triggered. Your partner is coping by blaming much of it on you. For your partner to revitalize their end of the relationship, they would need to understand and face their wounds and emerge very self-aware and mindful. This is likely an even greater challenge than you face.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »

Excerpt
This guide explores the struggles of breaking away from this type of relationship and offers suggestions on how you can make it easier on yourself and your partner.

4) Belief that love can prevail

Once these relationships seriously rupture, they are harder to repair than most – many wounds that existed before the relationship have been opened. Of course you have a lot invested in this relationship and your partner has been an integral part of your dreams and hopes - but there are greater forces at play now. For you, significant emotional wounds have been inflicted upon an already wounded soul. To revitalize your end of the relationship, you would need to recover from your wounds and emerge as an informed and loving caretaker – it’s not a simple journey. You need compassion and validation to heal - something your partner most likely won’t understand – and you can’t provide for yourself right now. For your partner, there are longstanding and painful fears, trust issues, and resentments that have been triggered. Your partner is coping by blaming much of it on you. For your partner to revitalize their end of the relationship, they would need to understand and face their wounds and emerge very self-aware and mindful. This is likely an even greater challenge than you face.

You are reading a guide for breaking away from a relationship.  

But the point for someone trying to recover a relationship is that it takes more than just love. It dealing with your own struggles and it takes learning caretaker skills... .

You say this yourself "work on ourselves, on reading, research, writing, practicing, acting... ."

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »

i think the belief speaks to an idealized, hollywood style notion of "love will overcome anything".

reality isnt that simple. relationships take work. the belief is talking about realistic expectations and not underestimating what it takes.

the article (and belief) speak to a person going through a breakup, where the relationship has been seriously damaged perhaps irreparably, and its saying love alone will not be enough to overcome that.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Steps31

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »

Right
Thanks guys

I'm just trying to gather info from everywhere I can and apply it to a situation where there still can be some hope.
I see what the article is saying. Of course, it takes more than just a fantasy of love... .

I guess I got into semantics... .where yes, it takes a lot more than just an idea of love, but all the effort I'm putting in is in the Name of love. (Certainly not for fun, or the science)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »

not much of a relationship without love 

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Sandb2015

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »

Contrary to things I've read here, I believe Love (not the hollywood bs), but all the things we humans have described what love turns out to be, the infinite variables of give and take, including, acceptance and forgiveness when little is given by someone who wants to but can't find the way. 

Love in the fantastical world along with a NYC metrocard will get you on the subway!

The connection we call love simply because it, ideas, feelings and emotions, ideals, dreams are like individual drops of water together we call a body of water.  It's in the absolute subjective ideas that we can define love, only to ourselves never to another.

Why do you love me?  There's no definitive answer, It just comes out emotions, nothing tangible.  My love, pwBPD asked, "why do you love me" as a precursor to being thrown out.  I stuttered, mumbled and might have had a small stroke, I looked for an answer in a way I never did before and nothing.  A few weeks later she said she was glad I couldn't answer, even she recognized that there is little literal translation.

If we never had a meaningful "connection", the "love" is probably closer to something else, enabling, codependancy, superficial in nature, lonleyness etc. 

If there is a real connection, ever was, it is real and hope gives the strenth to not give up in the face of adversity. 

I have hope, I have love, I have a connection I am fighting to help myself see the struggle I choose to become a part of with my pwBPD.  She may or may not come around, that's a fact.  I've been through so much in my life to be able to keep going until there's nothing to do.  I will then say, I can't pursue this and not feel I didn't do everything.  If she comes round, I will be grateful and do the healthy things to help and not hurt and hopefully grow even if I choose to know the potential burden in doing so.

Hope is no fool---Hope is a fool, only after the fact can we answer.

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest