Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 06:06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they know what they are doing is wrong?  (Read 577 times)
Bhs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »

Once Removed,

I appreciate and respect we all have our ways of looking at things and I think you express a very empathetic and humanitarian view.  However, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with asking the question - do they know what they are doing is wrong.  We ask ourselves this question all the time in many areas of life because empathy and compassion are more forthcoming if we feel there are mitigating circumstances that dictate what appears to be amoral behaviors.  Of course we all are guilty of behavior that is less than what we aspire to and in the best of relationships both parties occasionally act out of character and do hurtful things... .but I do believe that the difference is - do we ordinarily engage in these behaviors or do we occasionally engage in these behaviors - and what is the extent/implications of behavior.  I would never steal from someone or hit their child in a fit of rage - my moral code does not allow that irrespective of whether the relationship was dysfunctional. 

For me at least - part of the pain of these relationships is ruminating on how "we" contributed to the issues - what we could have done differently - were we empathetic enough.  My T used to say to me - you need to get angry - you need to come to terms with what happened and on one occasion he said (about my mother) - doesn't seem like she loved you.  I went home and cried for two days and came back and asked him - why would you say that to me - and he said because you need to understand that what you experienced was not love.  He went on to say there are a variety of reasons people act like my mother (or my husband, etc. - substitute person in our lives acting this way) but none of it changes the impact on me.  He explained or I learned that by trying to view my mother empathetically - trying to view her behavior in terms of her diagnosis - I was trying to rationalize that what I got from her was love - I needed her love.  I needed her love so badly that I would make excuses for her behavior to convince myself that she really loved despite the fact that most of the time that love "hurt me".  Rather than admit - she wasn't capable of love. I tortured myself with "if only" I was a better, stronger, more understanding person I would be loved in a way that didn't hurt.  I need to see her behaviors as an illness and love her because of it. I made myself the reason she didn't love me.  And the more people around me told me as a young adult - be understanding - she has issues - the more I accepted that what I was receiving was love.  As my T said - your mother telling you she loved you was the equivalent of someone saying the sky is green.  Your whole life you have been told the sky is green - but it isn't - it's blue.  There is a an objective truth - the sky is blue. Clarity is freedom. It's not surprising that you have a husband who does certain things your mother did - you've been trained to think that was love.  You went out and found someone who loved you like your mother because she told you - that was love - if it hurts it because of you. So telling you your mother didn't love you sets you free.

Once that clicked I "got-it".  It made it very easy for me to see - I was not responsible for not being loved and I was NOT responsible for the hurtful things she did or my ex-husband did.  Accountability is important because if we can't ascribe accountability correctly in our mind it becomes our guilt and our shame and makes us more likely to allow ourselves to be treated poorly.  Someone raised the question - how to break a pattern in your life - in my opinion you break the pattern by coming to terms with the fact - I was not accountable for much of what happened.  Sure, my relationship with my ex-husband had dysfunctional aspects but that dysfunction didn't make him lie to me and steal "our" money.  I had no part of that and in a similar situation I wouldn't make those choices.  It was my mom and my ex that would constantly tell me - I was part of the problem.  Yes, I was part of the problem - and my problem was constantly searching within myself to figure out how I could be better or do better to get their love in a way that didn't hurt.  Once the wool was off my eyes I could look back and say - NO - there is a difference in our behaviors and I will not take into my being the fact that I am defective and deserving of this behavior.  I am not perfect but this in no way shape or form is love.  No one looks back at Hitler and has empathy because of his childhood.  IMO, judgment is necessary to come to terms with and heal from behaviors that are sick, dysfunctional and amoral. 

Excerpt
Someone who is empathic and caring of others cannot logically be said to suffer from antisocial or narcissistic personality disorder in the way these are presently characterized in the DSM. Likewise, someone who is morally committed to being more respectful and considerate of others can plausibly be said to be improving and recovering from histrionic personality disorder. The case of borderline disorder is more difficult, but here as well it is plausible to imagine that a moral commitment to being patient and loving with both others and oneself is an essential ingredient of any serious treatment and cure.
empath

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

BHS, for me, knowing about BPD and understanding trauma has been a way to get to the point that I know that my h is not really capable of love in the sense that I need to be loved. I was able to let go of being "good enough" and realized that there was something fundamental to his psychological makeup that prevents him from reaching out to me and the kids in our times of need. It doesn't excuse or give him a pass from the consequences of his difficulties, but I know that without sustained long term help in dealing with the underlying parts, he has great difficulty with intimate relationships. He knows that what he has done is wrong; he feels very sorry about that. He just doesn't know how to make the course correction to restore the relationships.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 05:52:54 PM »

Hi Bhs,

I have to accept that what occurred was outside of the spectrum of normal.  I'm not hurt because there is something wrong with me - I'm hurt because this isn't a normal relationship and if I keep wondering and second guessing my partners motivations I'm missing the point.

I was just wanted to quickly say something about analysing and I don't mean ruminating but learning about the disorder. I'm sorry that you went through this terrible experience that had you go to therapy for 5 years that is a lot of work.

Learning about the disorder helps  you to heal I'm speaking for myself when I say this but I had really low esteem and I was depressed and anxious, I was diagnosed with major depression but it was worse in the r/s and same with the anxiety. I took everything personally, like a lot of people here tried really hard to please my exuBPDw or try to not get on her bad side so that she wouldn't rage at me. I thought she was treating me this way because I was a bad husband, I didn't understand her or I wasn't good at r/s's, it's all my fault when the r/s was over that was the most painful experience that I ever experience and I had a parent die when I was young but being young probably helped me there.

Learning about the motivations and what drives a pwBPD to do what they do seperates you from their actions / behaviours it's not personal to you it's something that the pwBPD is going through, this is how they survive. It helped with depersonalising the behaviour and becoming indifferent to it. I'm saying this for myself and I'm not speaking for anyone else but that was a big portion of the healing pie.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest