Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Threat to Harm Me  (Read 379 times)
Dancer84
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: in communication

« on: August 18, 2020, 04:04:04 PM »

Hi, this is my first post.  I was just informed that my adult child expressed a desire or threat to attack me. The child no longer lives in our home but is nearby. We are changing the locks and will no longer allow visits to the home.  I will also avoid being alone with our child. Also, the police are aware.

There is a long history of expressing intentions of self harm or suicide and there have been episodes of medication overdoses, but this is the first instance of really threatening harm to another.  I'm sure that others have dealt with physical violence or threats of physical violence. Do you have any initial advice?  I intend to continue the relationship, but this adds a new complication.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:11:08 AM »

Hi dancer84

I just want to reach out and say I’m sorry to read about your situation. I’m back here after a long spell of reasonable stability. My son is a quiet bpd so I haven’t got any answer for you. Plus I’m not thinking straight at the moment, a bit foggy. It must be hard to overcome your fears and stay calm. I’m going to leave it to others to give advice on physical harm. The steps you’ve taken seem very sensible, I just wanted to reach out.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Dancer84
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: in communication

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »

Hi, LP,
I appreciate your post. Sorry to hear that a long spell of stability has ended.  I assume that there has been a crisis with your son.  With my child, this is the second crisis in many months of stability in terms of living alone and working. I am happy for the periods of stability. I consider it progress when there are longer periods between crises and when the crises are less severe.
Dancer84
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest