Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 12:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 25+ years and I'm done  (Read 339 times)
FarAway19
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 23, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »

First I worked long hours to avoid being at home. Then started lengthy business trips. Then had job that kept me away for 50% of the time. Finally just moved to another country. I was at peace. I began eating well, exercising, foregoing drink. I lost weight, meditated, become healthy, had a clear mind. The wife was supposed to move and join me. But eventually I realized I was happy again the way I wasn't for all 25 years of our marriage. I didn't hate her. I hated the relationship and her mental absence. She thought the relationship was fine. Then I lost a job and decided to move away for good. I'm very conflicted for wanting to leave. But we've been to counseling numerous times. She says she can't and won't change. She wanted me to get therapy. I did. For my own growth and piece of mind. And I realized I'm not going back to the marriage. I only have a few more years on this planet and you can't put a price on peace. The kids are grown and out of the house. Still have a lot of guilt for leaving but I can't go back. She's a ghost that takes over everyone, lives in her own fantasy world, drinks too much, belittles everyone, and forgets all the hurtful things she says and does. I must quit denying that she'll get better.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »

you sound exhausted, FarAway19. im glad you reached out to us, and i want to say Welcome

did you move out?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »

Hi FarAway29,

Welcome

I’d like to join once removed and welcome you to the family. There are a lot of people that are in a similar situation it helps to talk about it.

Are you separated? Divorced? How long have you been apart? You mentioned guilt, are you talking to each other? Is she making you feel guilty?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
FarAway19
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »

Yes, I have taken a job in another state. We are separated. I will give her a year to take her meds and seek counseling or we won't reunite. I'm in therapy and have a support group through NAMI.  I just discovered BPD last week and I'm still in a state of shock. The guilt comes from society's expectations and that we have been together for 25 yrs. She certainly throws her barbs all the time, but they don't sting as much since I'm in counseling. Thanks for your questions. I'm worried about my kids who are now young adults. Obviously, they never saw a normal marriage. They saw a moody mother and withdrawn father. Be well,
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »

The guilt comes from society's expectations and that we have been together for 25 yrs.

That's one half of society that doesn't understand the other half that are going through or are in separation /divorce because they've never experienced it themselves. You didn't get married to get divorced.

I'm worried about my kids who are now young adults. Obviously, they never saw a normal marriage. They saw a moody mother and withdrawn father. Be well,

I'm sorry to hear about how difficult it was on your kids but you're doing the work on yourself now, some people go through their entire lives going through the same motions, your kids aren't going to experience that from both parents.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest