Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:46:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husband/ child relationship suffering  (Read 402 times)
473harman

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 26, 2019, 07:07:47 AM »

Sorry - this is long.
I first started learned of this site several years ago when my daughter, then 15, started exhibited very strong BPD traits. To summarize, she was admitted to a very known BPD inpatient for 8 weeks, then spent 14 months at a TBS in WV, where she finally admitted to being sexually assaulted and began to heal. She's 18 now, and while life will never be the same for her, our relationship is strong, and she is in a better place.
It was during that time of intense therapy and education about BPD that I realized that my husband has almost all of the BPD traits. I too can be emotionally reactive (which is why our daughter never told us what happened - our reactions were too strong all the time). I have since learned to validate more and react less.
The issue is - I can't validate him all the time anymore. We have been together for over 20 years and have 5 kids (now 18, 17, 15, 12, 9). he will comment that "You used to love me the way you love (fill in the blanks - my son, my pug, etc). And he'll do this in front of our kids and other people.  He can't seem to get out of his own way either. I've been the major breadwinner for the past 20 years and whenever I say I need a break, he'll promise me it will change, etc, but it never does. Now when he says it and I don't make a huge deal he'll accuse me of being unsupportive.
He had huge issues with his mom, who has many BPD traits as well. He's been in therapy for most of marriage and still can't come to terms with their relationship (they are speaking now but didn't for six years). Our marriage is tepid at best. I can't carry the whole thing anymore and the marriage suffers.

So - my main issue today. There always seems to be one of the kids who is a victim to him. first it was our daughter pre treatment. Now after her extensive therapy she knows not to engage him and their relationship is ok. Lately it has been our 15 year old daughter. Sweet, but has bought into her ditzy act so much that is now reflected in her grades as well. She started acting out over the summer (not to the extent of our oldest who was self medicating to stop the pain), but going a little over the line of a typical teen. And I find that when he feels like he is losing  control over them as they get older, they suffer. He can't say a nice word to her, always comments that she wears too much makeup, complains about her friends, yells at her, etc. Even our other kids  comment how he doesn't like her.

It is breaking my heart to watch him treat her this way. Whenever I try and speak to him about it, he yells at me and says she's rude and disrespectful, and I think it makes it worse. Last night she cried to me how she was so sad that he didn't like her, and how she would  never have a relationship with him and how the only way her sister now has a relationship with him was because she went away. Therapy won't work as he won't come clean in a session, even if i'm there. We've tried couples therapy and that wasn't successful either.

Any suggestions, or advice, is very much welcome, thanks.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »

I’m sorry that you are in a position where you watch your kids hurt. This could be an opportunity to teach your children how to appropriately define their boundaries and learn to speak up for themselves. Could you print out some of the lessons from this site and help them learn how to use validating language and communicate in a way that is less triggering?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

473harman

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »

Thank you. That is a positive way of handling this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest