Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone like me?  (Read 462 times)
ISOsupport
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« on: March 26, 2019, 04:25:12 AM »

This is my first time on this site and first time using a message board. In the wee hours of another sleepless night, I have found this. I’ve searched BPD, narcissists and sociopaths. All 3 describe my husband’s ex-wife. Her antics have taken a toll on us and the 4 children, but the children don’t realize/understand yet. Hubby and I disengage as much as possible. Legal shared custody with 5-5-2-2 day arrangement. Currently 1 child lives 100% w/ us (placed with us b/c wasn’t attending school) 1 Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) 100%  w/ her (after being told would live with us b/c not attending school, promised to go to school everyday if doesn’t have to come to our house), (I should add that “mom” doesn’t work. However, she travels extensively with boyfriend and is hardly home.) 1 Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) 5-5-2-2 (the seemingly only “successful” child), and 1 is divided b/w her house & college. College child is failing but blaming us because we “won’t let” child live with us. (He IS welcome here, he would just have to share a room with his brother. He wants me to give up the “spare” bedroom for him. I work from home and it is my office.)
More background: She WAS working full time and had 2 children full time until this past summer. We were/are paying her child support. She quit her job so she could travel. We’ve been advised not to go back to court to reduce child support (we cover most expenses AND pay her child support based on 2 children living with her, but now living arrangements are equal) because she isn’t working.
Keeping me up tonight: Right before February vacation (her time with the kids) she wrote through parenting portal requesting a switch so she could have the kids during April vacation. We granted permission. She is taking the kids to Disney World. Yesterday we received a request that mid-April vacation she has decided to go away with her boyfriend. She requests that we have the kids over April vacation and swap with a random week during the summer. My husband denied the request and reminded her that she specifically requested April vacation. She wrote back saying she “didn’t care” and that she was just offering the time to him because she thought he would want to spend time with his children. We didn’t respond because we don’t engage.
I tend to be very black/white/right/wrong. I am wrong in thinking it is SHE that is the one not spending time with her children? After all, we were with the children over February break while she was traveling, minus the child she left home alone (age 13). We didn’t know until after the fact that was the case. We have learned, however, that she isn’t breaking any laws so there is nothing we can do.
I resent having to cancel our plans so the children aren’t left to fend for themselves.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:45:52 AM »

You aren't alone.

I'm a stepmom too an awesome 11-year-old.  Her mom is uBPD (undiagnosed).  My H has a lot of compassion for her, but, after all, he once lived with her and loved her.  I've only experienced the toxic side of her personality, so she basically just drives me crazy.   Like you, I tend to have a more rigid view of things

Does your H get to see the 13-year-old?  Does the one who lives 100% with you ever see mom?  Do these two kids show that they value a relationship with both parents, who are they mostly or  completely closed to the idea of having a relationship with one parent?

Are you sure that leaving a 13-year-old home alone for a week isn't illegal?  That certainly doesn't seem like it is in the best interests of the child, even if the mom can't be charged with a crime.  Your husband may have a case to get custody of that child - or at least have the judge yell at mom.  He may want to consult a lawyer.

I highly recommend counseling, for all of you.  The kids definitely need it (even the successful one and the college-aged one) - it's hard to deal with a parent who has issues, and it's hard when your siblings are all in a different place than you.  It would be good for you, too, to help you center yourself.  (Note that mom will probably be very anti-counseling.  It's up to your husband to fight that.)

I've had to learn that we have to do what's best for the child, because uBPDmom is incapable of figuring out what that looks like.  That means sometimes plans change because the kids need us.  It means sometimes I make contingency plans in case mom decides to change plans.  It means sometimes I don't make plans.  It means sometimes we shove the responsibility back on mom (although in your case I'd be concerned about that since she leaves young children home alone).

I'm sorry I don't have more solid advice.  Just know that you are not alone, and in your situation it is normal to feel resentful and irritated.  We understand.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »

She declared a vacation and now wants to trade it for something during the summer?  I don't know whether she has legal ability to cancel her vacation notice and re-use her vacation time time for the summer, that's probably more a lawyer question.  She ought to be welcome to cancel and you can agree to keep the kids while she is gone.  After all, the more the kids are with you, the better for your husband and you, and especially the kids.

Missing a Disney trip isn't a disaster for the kids.  (The disaster is her leaving the kids behind for her BF.)  I was at DisneyWorld nearly 10 years ago, paid about $100 each for myself and son, and we rode only 6 rides all day.  And 3 of them were in the park's last hour during the fireworks when the Magic Mountain roller coaster had no line.  By contrast, less than an hour from home I have a large amusement park where $100 can buy an entire season ticket and midweek visits have short lines.

However, I don't think she can force you to do a "trade" and allowing her to feel she gets to do whatever whenever she feels like it is not advisable.  So okay to say No.  As I wrote above, I don't know whether she can cancel and re-use her vacation time in the summer, a local lawyer can give local advice.  The point is you have no incentive to be accommodative when you have no expectation she will reciprocate similarly.

The members here have "been there, done that".  I'll add that in most cases we who have faced high conflict relationships simply can't succeed when trying to walk an accomodating middle path.  With BPD and other acting-out (Cluster B) personality disorders, being super reasonable and using reason — such as JADE (Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain) — doesn't work.  The other person just can't or won't listen, at least not for long or consistently.  Someone once explained it as there being too much emotional baggage from the past close relationship for the other to listen.

Best to limit communication to necessary parenting or schedule issues.  Even that will be hard.  Ignore the Blaming as best you can.  A thought about boundaries...  For a long time after I arrived here I thought boundaries were for the one misbehaving.  However, in time I learned that boundaries were for me, my ex rejected them, almost predictably.  How can that altered perspective help? 

Limit conversations to necessary matters about (1) the children, (2) parenting schedule and (3) appropriate shared expenses such as child support, child care or daycare, etc.

That's where boundaries come in.  When I first arrived here, I was confused, because I knew my ex never respected my boundaries.  I learned that the boundaries were for me in determining how to respond to my ex.  This is a typical pattern:  "If you do or don't do ___ then I will do or not do ___."  For example, "If you rant or rage on the phone then I will hang up." or "If you rant or rage then I will take the kids and leave to a park, restaurant or movie until you have calmed down."  Frankly, your ex will never totally respect your consistent boundaries but over time it should reduce the incidents.

Be the parent with practical strategies and solutions.  Yes, your ex won't appreciate them, but over time it can be invaluable in court and with the various agencies.  Also, every time you're back in court be sure to attend prepared with the latest major issues and loopholes and their practical solutions.  Even have them printed up as a proposed modification to the order, you'd be surprised how that forethought will give incentive to the court and lawyers to jump on it as a fix and ex probably won't be able to convince the court otherwise.

It is uncommon for children to be split apart between parents, shades of the "Parent Trap" movies.  Be watchful for a solid legal opportunity to get the child 100% with her to have consistent time with father similar to the 5-5-2-2 schedule the other child has.  I recall I had a magistrate who was fuming that her cases were backed up and she got peeved when I said something about what my son was slow to do.  She retorted, "So is it up to your son whether he wants to go to school?"  So ponder what H's son did, claiming he wouldn't go to school if he was with dad was a parental challenge that the law, school and officials would not have supported.  It was brinkmanship, probably something he learned from his mother.

Review what I wrote above about boundaries.  Don't be afraid to set boundaries.  Ponder this... You're probably not a "black or white" person, you just have strong boundaries and a solid foundation in reality and common sense.

Similar for the college child.  Probably an adult by now and so no legal parenting leverage for dad.  Beware this is Guilting and Blaming.  As in, I won't come unless I get my own room.  Um, it's his father's home, father's terms.  So don't feel Guilted, seems this disordered mother has taught a couple of her children how to be master manipulators.  But that works only if you don't have boundaries and strategies to counter them.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest