Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning about BPD for the first time  (Read 363 times)
Cori
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 26, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »

After doing a lot of reading, I think I’ve been in my first BPD relationship (hetero, ex-boyfriend.) I also think I used to have strong traits in my 20s, (I’m now 39)  but have been healthier this year. I’ve been fascinated to learn about this.. I always thought I was crazy but medications didn’t help.. in my heart I knew it was behavior-related but no doctor helped... they just gave me anti-anxiety or anti-depressants... but I only turned crazy in personal relationships. Addiction-prone, self-harming since a tween. No childhood abuse, other than isolation from being an only child.
   My ex: major abuse as a child, both parents died from cancer. Alcoholic and ex drug addict.
   I am extremely empathetic and knew something was wrong from the beginning. Just trying to solve a few pieces of this ‘me’ puzzle so I can feel less at the mercy of a pattern I can’t even put a name to... if I never see him again, I truly feel I was put in that situation to learn about myself... and maybe show him a less self-hatred-filled future. Or maybe just need to run.
   I read Shari Screibers website and ‘do you need to be needed’ book, it hit home deeply, but yes I do feel there was not much sympathy to the BPD person.., in the beginning of her site she has a disclaimer for BPD sufferers to ‘look elsewhere for support’. I took her advice with salt, but it felt GREAT to realize I WASNT insane. I don’t want to try to fix people anymore because I ‘see myself in them’ and feel bad. I have to nurture myself. Literally for the first time in 25 years. I hope I can find balanced support here, so I don’t let this control my life.
  (Note: I have never been diagnosed professionally. But, I’ve been LIVING it my whole life. I read Mayo Clinic, help guide, books, I’m taking some from all, but I know in my heart it was him.)

Thank you

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »

Hi Cori,

Welcome

I’d like to welcome you to  bpdfamily, Im glad that you have found us. It helps to talk to others that can relate with your experience and offer you guidance and support.

I’m glad to hear that you’re excited about learning more and that you’re motivated to help yourself   Read as much as you can about the disorder you’ll quickly see the benefits and you’ll become proficient over time.

I read Shari’s site when I first learned about BPD but it’s too intense and too hateful for my taste what helps is reading information from accredited medical resources. Can you give us the back story on your break up?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Red5

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »

Hello Cori and welcome!

Books… here are three more, you may have already read them, but here they are,

1.) *Stop Walking on Eggshells : Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About has Borderline Personality Disorder” ~ by Paul T. Mason, MS and Randi Kreger.

2.) *I Hate You--Don't Leave Me : Understanding the Borderline Personality, ~ by Hal Straus and Jerold J. Kreisman

3.) *Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder : How to Keep Out-of-Control Emotions from Destroying Your Relationship, ~ by Shari Y. Manning

Again, welcome !

Kind Regards, Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:21:34 PM »

Hi Cori,

Welcome to BPD Family! We're glad you are here. I can relate to a lot of what you said. I can see a lot of traits in my behavior when I was in my 20's also, but I leveled out and grew more stable in my 30's (I'm 41 now).

What kind of behaviors did your ex display that led you to suspect BPD? Can you tell us a little more about the relationship?

I think it's great that you are seeking self-awareness and working towards a healthier approach to relationships. It's a journey that a lot of us here are on after a BPD relationship.

Blessings and peace,

Redeemed

We are more than just our stories.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest