Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Poll
Question: DId your BPD child have colic as an infant?
yes
not at all
s/he had some nursing/formula problems, but not colic

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your BPD child have colic?  (Read 798 times)
Mirsa

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 31, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that several parents will mention that their child had colic as an infant, and 'has been difficult ever since.'  I'm included in that scenario.  She had colic, which I was able to mostly resolve within a few months by eliminating dairy from my diet.  She then had food sensitivities (to dairy, and a few other things) as a toddler and young child.  As a teen and now young adult, she has a post-Lyme inflammatory condition that is best controlled by diet (not that she stays on it). 

"They" say that BPDs often have an underlying predisposition to mental illness, which is triggered by trauma.  I wonder whether this early colic could have flipped that switch in her brain.  On my side of the family, we've observed three to four undiagnosed PDs:  NPD, bi-polar, and one undetermined (great grandfather).  So, I know there is a hereditary component, but also wondering whether this colic made a difference. 

What's your thinking on this?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mggt

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »

Our d had colic .  She didn’t sleep through the night till she was 9months old. She would cry for 5 hours strait. Sometimes 7 in morning till 1 in afternoon. Other times 7 at night till 1 in morning. We tried many many different formulas. Our d was adopted at 5 days old and the birthmother had done drugs while she was pregnant with her. So we assumed it was due to that.  But who knows. 
DriftlessRider

Relationship status: Married 25 years.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »

No colic here. I was stay-at-home-dad the first few months and I remember her drinking enfamil fine. Although we used the soy stuff, I think she didn't tolerate the other formula well? And wife would pump while at work, and I remember always being after her to increase production

She did have these weird night terrors in toddler years, and sleepwalking. The night-terrors were very predictable. Put her down for a nap and she'd "wake up" 45 minutes later in a temper tantrum. Red faced, screaming, sweating and pounding her legs. At some point I realized I don't think she's even awake. We'd just comfort her for about 10 minutes, and she'd go back to sleep. 45 minutes later she's wake up in just a fine mood. Always wondered if that wasn't an early indication of issues.
Lollypop

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »

Hi

Yes my baby son has colic. I’m convinced gut has something to do with BPD.  Extreme stress alters bacteria and affects the immune system. We lived in the city and he was always sick, high temperatures, Bell’s palsy, shingles - it was never ending. We moved out to the country when he was nearly 9 and his physical ailments disappeared over night.  air pollution?  Stress of city living?  I’ve no idea. But I’m thinking it’s a combination of things. He was a challenge in birth and then onwards. So many potential contributing factors,

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »

No colic here Mirsa, nor allergies. Presently my DD believes her co-morbid disorders may be a combination of chemical imbalances and trauma being sensitive to her environment. She talks, reflects regularly about her school experiences these days. Says she knew things were not right from an early age.

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
stampingt1

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 02:23:16 AM »

Our DS18 BPD screamed & cried for the first 5 days of his life. It was horrible. No one would believe us. One night I couldn't take it any longer, so hubby called the Dr. He suggested giving him soy formula instead of breast milk. It worked like a charm!

However, our son never liked sleeping in his crib. He ended up sleeping in the Pack N' Play or his carrier. He wasn't much of a napper either. He was pretty much "ON" all the time.

He had lots of ear infections, which they finally put tubes in for. Then 1 never came out, so had to get it removed. He received weekly allergy shots for about 7 YEARS.

Our son hasn't ever suffered any trauma.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest