Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:44:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD DS25 received ASPD dx. I'm overwhelmed & my goal is to detach with love  (Read 800 times)
Kiss

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 30, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »

My BPD son is 25.  After years of thinking it was just drugs/alcohol, bad parenting on my part, I recently received a diagnosis from the northwestern hospital psychiatry department that seems to fit - anti-social personality disorder.  Still digesting this info, seems overwhelming.  My goal - elusive as it's proven to be thus far - is to detach with love.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:15:27 PM by Only Human, Reason: retitled pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:53:09 AM »

Hello, Kiss, I am happy to meet you and sorry for the circumstances. It must be quite a blow to you to receive a diagnosis of Anti-social personality disorder on top of BPD. You say your goal now is to detach with love. What does that look like to you? Share whatever you are comfortable sharing. This is a safe space. We will walk with you.
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »

Hi KISS  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I join Faith in welcoming you to  bpdfamily and echo what she says, this is a safe place for you to learn and grow. I hope to hear more from you and look forward to walking with you on this journey.

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Miserable Mom

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »

I feel you and understand the overwhelmed state of being. My 16 year old daughter was dx Conduct Disorder (CD) which is the under 18 equivalent to adult ASPD in many cases. The stigma associated with it is horrific and tragic. It is always associated with criminality at the mere mention of either dx term, adult or child. I don't believe at this time that the BPD behaviors that have initiated police involvement are intentional or with malice. I also believe drug/alcohol use is self-medicating in our situation and a symptom of a much deeper issues. Research has been my greatest friend in this lonely journey. Reaching out for support is the so helpful and knowing you are not alone. It is infuriating to find the professionals unwavering commitment to blame the parents/parenting. How about we stop the blame game and seek solutions? Here if you need a friend.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »

ASPD seems to suggest a lot of drama and hurtful behaviors on his side.  What does detaching with love look like to you at this point?  What behavoirs prompt detaching?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Kiss

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:14:55 AM »

thanks to all for your interest and in welcoming me to your group!
detaching with love looks like this:
1. not living together anymore.  this is very unhealthy for him and my wife and i.  he and i, in particular, don't do well together.  i have a very hard time listening to the manipulation/con jobs, etc.  i respect that he didn't choose to be aspd but my own personal limits just won't allow me to listen to his BS without feeling the need to correct him.  it's like "fake news" that i won't just listen to without rebutting.
2. not running to the rescue to help get him out of his latest crisis:  i have spent hundreds of thousands on treatment programs, attorney retainers/fees, providing him money with little or inconsistent boundaries
3.  letting him know i/we love him enough to let him go - to sink or swim by taking his own responsibility for his actions.  i'm done bailing him out.
4.  my life.  what happened to having my own fun, embracing the good of the rest of my family, being a selfish?
that's it, best to you all..
Lollypop

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »

Hi Kiss

We took our son back home following a downward spiral and diagnosis at 24. He refused treatment, he was non functioning and depressed. Everything is ever tried just made things worse. I was a fixer and felt I just needed to get him to listen.

Detach means placing the responsibility of their life and problems in their lap.  With love means that this is done gently and lovingly.

I had a cold hard look at myself and I could see I was very judgmental of my son’s poor choices. Our relationship was at an all time low and he could barely spend more than a few minutes with me.

For the sake of my entire family, for myself and of course my son - I decided to try and have a relationship with him. I found this forum and it’s saved us. I have become the parent he needs. Not the one I thought I should be. I can change. He cannot change because of BPD.

With better interaction skills we get along nicely now. I got back to basics. These skills have helped me in all areas of my life and I encourage you to be open minded and learn what you can here.  This is all about healthy relationships.

You want your life back. It’s there and always has been. I  Recovered mine and demonstrate how to take care of myself so they learn what that looks like.

You’re done bailing him out. Good. I stopped giving my son money too. He’s learnt to problem solve and gain some dignity.

You’ve spent a lot of money. Me too. I chose to do that and I take responsibility for that choice. We learn by making mistakes.

Not living together any more. A physical distance can help. That doesn’t necessarily mean though that your son doesn’t need some emotional support while he tries to make it in his own. This is up to you and him to work out.

I’ve written quite bluntly because I feel that youre a straight talker. If I’ve got that wrong I’m sorry. I totally understand because my situation sounds so similar. It’s a heart wrenching reality that has to be faced. For what it’s worth, my son is working full time, managing his money and living close by - he doesn’t seek treatment and self medicates. We are happier, despite the problems.

How are you and your wife feeling right now?

LP .

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Mirsa

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

Hi KISS,

I agree with your numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4!   My DD17 moved out unexpectedly about six months ago, and although I was very upset and felt betrayed at first, I have found a newfound peace, serenity and freedom in my life.  If (when) she asks to move back in, I will say no.  I value your #1:  my home should be a place of peace and safety, which means she cannot live in it.  #2:  when she wants money, I will say no...she is a young adult and must learn from the consequences of her own actions.  Plus, I'm saving for retirement, and I've decided that I would like to enjoy traveling in retirement, and that is more important to me than throwing money (down the drain) rescuing her again and again.  #3: ditto...love her, but she is a young adult and this journey is hers now. 
 You can see I'm in the 'tough love' camp. 

#4:  I'm about to turn fifty!  I'm so excited.  It's suddenly the best time of my life...I'm full of energy, and enthusiasm and the world feels like my oyster again.  The possibilities are endless.  I'm job shopping and hoping to relocate to a more urban area with my younger daughter this summer.  Such an exciting time!  My philosophy is that there is no rule that says we have to endlessly compromise our own happiness and well-being for a child.   This is in no way a criticism of people who choose to do continue to support their adult children; it is simply a philosophy of life I've chosen to not ascribe to.  My younger daughter and I are thriving for the first time in years, and I don't think it is at all selfish, as you worry, for me to put my other child's and my own needs first.  I certainly put BPD child's needs first for many years, and happily, that time is over now.  (her choice, but I seized the opportunity with both hands)

I hope you keep coming back to vent, share, learn, and get validated.  Sounds like you've got a great start. 

Mirsa
smallbluething

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 11:31:37 PM »

Welcome KISS

You will find lots of people here who know just what you are going through. I thoroughly agree with your 1-4 and am at more or less the same point with my daughter. I have learnt a lot from reading what Lollipop has had to say about her relationship with her son, both here and elsewhere on the board. The 'radical acceptance' and 'detaching with love' is still very much a work in progress for me but I'm getting there and hopefully you will too!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest