Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 12:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think my sister has BPD... now what?  (Read 349 times)
mrsmick
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »

Sorry in advance if this is lengthy. I am a 37 year old female and my sister is 41. As long as I can remember, I have felt like the "older" sibling (more emotionally mature).
As a teenager, my memories of her are of her being depressed and acting out. Doing drugs, sneaking out, that sort of thing. Which, I know, sounds like a normal teenager. But she would get violent with me, hold me against the wall, that sort of thing.
As adults, its pretty much the same, acting out...just verbally, not physically. I don't know if I can name one friend she has that she has an always constant relationship with. She has had friends in the past, "best friends," and they are here the one day and gone the next, and she has nothing but NASTY things to say about them, and what they did to her. I never remember her having a good relationship with my parents.  
As an adult, the talk about "everything my parents did wrong when she was a child" continues. (I remember a fairly benign childhood, nothing traumatic, just the episodes which involved her. I remember her walking down the stairs with a glass bottle telling my father if he didn't let her go some place she wanted, she was going to slam the bottle against her head.)
She's married, with twin boys. We live about an hour apart, and I feel like, even though I attempt to call/text her randomly to catch up...she won't pick up my calls unless she needs me to be her sounding board. Also, she won't call or text me for weeks until she needs someone to hear her vent about my parents, her husband, etc.
The latest (and biggest event) was my brother in law being diagnosed in the summer of 2017 with Leukemia. He has been through countless chemo treatments, a bone marrow transplant (his body had a very very tough time with this), a relapse after the transplant, more chemo, another donor cell transplant. And finally got word last month (2/19) that he is in remission. I remember one of the first things out of her mouth after he was diagnosed and they talked about possibly 5 years of chemo, was how this was going to affect HER life and that its "going to be 5 years of the (husband's name) show." Over and over the past two years, she has made comments like this. Basically acting as if he CHOSE cancer, and that him "choosing" to get cancer is ruining HER life, and the fact that "she basically has to raise the kids by herself" (for that period in time). Everything in their marriage is HIS fault, according to her. My brother in law is one of the most laid back people I've ever met and I am surprised he has dealt with her this long. Everytime something goes wrong, she wants to point the finger at someone else, never herself. Even her boys (they're 6) have taken on some of these traits...if something happens to them (they get hurt, etc.) it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.
I know this is a lot, sorry if its rambling. I just don't know where to go from here. Everything in her life is my parent's fault, everything in her marriage is her husband's fault, she changes at the drop of a hat. I just need some solid advice on what I (as her sister) can do next. To move forward, to help her move forward.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:56:23 PM by Woolspinner2000 » Logged
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:06:29 PM »

Hi mrsmick!

Welcome!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) It's great to have another member join our online family.

It sounds as if it has been quite the rocky journey with your sister, and I imagine you have had a time of dealing with fear based on the way she has treated you. My uBPDm was very similar in her dealings with me, and no matter who the person with BPD, it is a tough road.

The blaming of everyone is a classic behavior of someone with BPD. The struggle to self sooth, especially after rejection or perceived rejection, is so strong and they find a certain comfort in eliminating people from their lives because they're very black and white. We often refer to this as Splitting, making people either good or bad. Does this ring a bell with you?

I hope you do something kind for yourself today or tomorrow. It's important that you care for you and your soul. You have been deeply hurt and can use some extra special care of YOU! Please let us know more of your story.

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »

Those are  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) things to say given what your BIL is going through.

Even though you are fond of him or love him as a BIL,  their relationship is theirs,  as messed up as it is due to her self-centeredness.  You can't fix that,  as frustrating and even hurtful as it is. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest