Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 02:19:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How has having a child wBPD made you a better person?  (Read 388 times)
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« on: April 23, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »

Obviously none of us would have chosen for our children to suffer so, nonetheless I am finding that the more I travel this parent of a pwBPD path, the better person I am. Specifically I am becoming: 1. less judgmental 2. more likely to mind my own beeswax (in progress) 3. more compassionate 4. more humble. How about you? How have you grown?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »

Interesting topic, Faith. Before I found  bpdfamily, I believed having a child wBPD brought out the worst in me, and it did. I once shouted " Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) you!" to my DD when she was 21 and I hated the words coming out of my mouth, still cringe when I think about that day.

For me, finding  bpdfamily has made me a better person in many ways. I'm totally a fan and wish I'd found this haven sooner. I'm more willing to look at my own dysfunctional behaviors, to take responsibility for my part in the destruction of my relationship with my DD, and to take responsibility for changing those behaviors. I have more compassion and understanding.

I remember the day it happened. I'd been here a short while and DD came into my room and just looked different to me. It was really strange, like I was seeing her for the first time. She looked younger, more beautiful, vulnerable, and I knew then that we'd make it. We are making it, one baby step at a time.

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »

I remember the day it happened. I'd been here a short while and DD came into my room and just looked different to me. It was really strange, like I was seeing her for the first time. She looked younger, more beautiful, vulnerable, and I knew then that we'd make it. We are making it, one baby step at a time.

~ OH

This is so beautiful. I know what you mean. Understanding the nature of this illness does help us see them so much differently.
Mirsa

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:28 PM »

Great topic.  I've definitely grown in so many ways.  I think I've gained a lot of clarity about who I am as a woman.  I've learned to accept myself more fully, stopped apologizing and defending myself, and come to value and respect myself a lot more.  I'm a strong woman and a wonderful mother.  I'm not perfect, but definitely doing the best job that I can to be a person of integrity and kind and loving to all. 

I was raised by a narcissistic mother, lived with an emotionally-unavailable husband for 15 years, and then raised my BPD teenager by myself for a few years.  For the first time in many years, I am not living with anyone who is criticizing me and devaluing me, and it's absolutely wonderful. 

All in all, having these experiences, and being the mother of BPD who is pretty callous and at times, cruel, has made me a much kinder person.  And, I say it's easy to be kind to people who are kind to us.  I work hard to be kind to those who are UNkind.  It's a much larger challenge, and I like to think I've gotten better at this.  I'm even feeling a lot of empathy for my ex-husband lately, who is trying to parent the BPD.  I'm grateful that he's taken her on, even if he continues to express disdain and fury towards me.  I see that as a manifestation of his stress in dealing with her.  I'm better now at stepping aside and not personalizing other people's anger and negative emotions towards me.  And that is HUGE growth for me.

Thanks for this post and an opportunity to reflect on this.  Bhudda says that the toughest people in our lives are our biggest teachers, and I'd have to agree.
Tazzer4000

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »

I am judgement free. I realize that what I see in any given moment is the culmination of hundreds of interactions I never saw. I am more humble. I understand that i can learn from everyone, and do my best to do so. I do my best to mind my own business because i haven't walked in anyone else's shoes. I'm more forgiving,  of others and myself. I now understand deeply that change is harder for some than others and people deserve forgiveness and so do I.
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

Hmmm.  I am still a work in progress, but so far I am learning that I have as much rights to live my life as my adult son does.  We are equally human.  I don't have to throw myself on the sword to hold him up.  Yes, he has the right to not work on himself and drug up, but he has no right to expect I subsidize his lifestyle nor to exhibit violent, destructive behavior towards me .  I also realized no one is going to rescue me from this- from making the hard decisions, and to not be co dependent  with him anymore.  I mistakenly thought his Dad was going to step up , but he backed out and disappeared . Again.  So his Dad won't rescue me from R's illness, I have to rescue me from his illness' affects and the codependency.  It makes me scared, but the alternative is not acceptable or sustainable.  Onward and upward...somehow...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:25:10 PM by Harri, Reason: modified name » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest