Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 03:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here - Does this get better  (Read 357 times)
NeedHelpforBPDdd
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 30, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

Hello - my SD who is 20 years old was diagnosed as BPD last year.  My husband (her father) thinks it's all "BS".  He enables her and caters to her all of the time.  She refuses to get a job and just lost her full ride scholarship to a University.  She is brilliant but claims she shouldn't have to take classes that don't apply to her, blah blah.  So she lived in a dorm for a year and didn't go to class.  She doesn't drink or do drugs.  She plays video games all day and seems to enjoy ANYTHING that doesn't require responsibility or work.  I've endured this since she was little, refusing to do any work around that house, she quit her job "because I make too much money for her to have to work".  She is highly critical of any friends (she really doesn't have any) because they don't want to talk about her all of the time.

Suicide threats are very typical - she's been in hospitals, yet has never harmed herself (thank god). I'm exhausted and depressed.  My husband and I do not see eye to eye on this at all.

I'm just looking for support.  Her biological mother has not been in her life since she was a baby. I hate feeling this way about her (angry, frustrated, resentful, disappoined). I have a very strong work ethic and have always supported myself so I can not understand the lack of motivation, the lack of desire to support herself... absolutely no drive
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »

NEEDHELP, welcome! We are glad you found your way to this board, although the reason behind it sounds difficult and sad. You sound as if you have a long-standing step-parent relationship with this young woman.

There are a number of people on this board who have a young adult child with BPD - some are also seems by help and support and many can offer that help and support.

Is your step-daughter officially diagnosed with BPD? Is she actively in therapy?

Do you and/or your husband seeing a therapist or a marriage counselor?

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
MomSA

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married 28yrs

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »

Hello and welcome.

I would like to recommend you read Stop Walking on Eggshells and together you read When Your Daughter has BPD.

In the second book they do give a fair amount of time to discussing when the parents are not in agreement.

Perhaps the first place to start is getting your SD to a psychologist for a diagnoses? Or for your husband to watch these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to5qRLRSS7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4k6jtAAJmA
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest