Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Realizing his mother is toxic  (Read 394 times)
Perdita

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: 5 years in

« on: August 13, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »

About a month ago I posted about how his mom has reached out to me about his depression and anxiety etc.  Took her over 6 years to bother with me at all.  She wants her son to have children like his siblings have done, but neither he nor I want that.  He has also told me that his mother has told him in the past that she has nothing against me personally, but he must leave me and find someone to have kids with.  She is ultra conservative and narrow minded.

Since reaching out to me I have realized that this woman is toxic to my SO.  Oh my word!  I have spent a lot more time around the dad and his wife over the years than around this woman.  Now that I have gotten to know her a bit better, one on one, it is very clear to me the damage she has inflicted on him over the course of his life.  

She initially contacted me to tell me that she wants the name of the GP he was going to see that day because she wanted to call him to tell him to send her son to a psychiatrist.  I agreed that he needed to see one, but didn’t give her the GP’s name and told her to rather step back and give the new GP a chance and see what he recommends.  He indeed referred him to a psychiatrist and he has seen the guy twice and will be seeing him again in two weeks.

What his mother didn’t know at the time he made the GP appointment is that what tipped him over the edge was a nightmare he had about something she did when he was a young teen.  He said the only time during his consultation with the psychiatrist that he became emotional was when he mentioned this incident to the dr.  Afterwards he went and talked to his mom about it and received very little acknowledgement of the pain she caused him and, no apology.  She then sent me a message about it and said “clearly he has very deeply seated issues”.  Basically, blaming him.  

Last week she called him one evening.  He had been doing well on his new medication (still is), but the following morning he was upset again and anxious.  He said he had a nightmare about it again “because my f***ing mom called last night”.  He said he has noticed a pattern between his nightmares and his mom calling in the evenings.  I recommended he not bottle his feelings up if it’s bothering him so much.  He called his mom that day and brought the subject up again and how she showed no concern for what he was feeling the first time he talked about it to her.  I saw him afterwards and immediately saw he was anxious again.  Then he told me that his mom lost it and told him “why are you talking to me about something that happened 22 years ago?  Can’t you talk to Perdita about it instead?”  He told her he doesn’t talk to me about it (although he does, of course) and that’s it’s between the two of them.  His mom then went on to tell him “stop upsetting me! I have other things on my mind.  Go and sh*t your father out about your depression.”  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

Afterwards she send me a message complaining that he brought up the “old”  story again and that it upsets her when he does these things and that he then “tried to make me feel better about it by saying ‘I love you’.”  She further told me that she wants him to give his dad hell instead.  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

I feel she was hoping the psychiatrist would steer him towards hating his dad.  She clearly refuses to accept any responsibility for her son’s issues.  She also mentioned to me that she was institutionalized years ago (implying, I guess, that her ex-husband was to blame) and then went on later to tell me that her current husband has been in a mental hospital as well (currently he is in frail care and she lives alone).  She encouraged me to get her son institutionalized.  

I realize that this woman is toxic and trying to triangulate me.  She tried to turn me against the dad as well since reaching out to me.  They have been divorced 30 years.  The dad is thriving.  Wonderful wife and marriage for 15 years, financially very well off due to success he achieved 10 years after the divorce.  I think it’s killing the mom to see him happy.  She’s struggling financially and getting help from one of her kids (yet she goes away on vacation regularly).

She even tried to extort money out of the dad earlier this year by threatening to tell their children that he’s a paedophilia unless he pays up.  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) He sat my SO down and told him about this threat.  Everyone knows he isn’t even someone that likes being around kids and their noise.  It’s part of the reason their marriage failed.  He never wanted kids and couldn’t deal with being a dad until his kids became adults.   If he was indeed a paedophilia, then there is surely no way this woman would shut up all these years and allow him around her little grand-daughters (whom she spends a lot of time with).  The fact that nothing came of her threat underlines to me that she was lying.

Don’t get me wrong.  The dad did have an affair and had a drinking problem back in the day, but now I am starting to really question how innocent the mom was in the breakdown of their marriage.  She was pregnant when they married and I have to wonder if this wasn’t deliberate on her part.  He was very handsome and surely had a lot of options whereas she wasn’t a looker.  After 30 years she’s as bitter about her ex husband as ever.  Actually even more so.  My SO told me that every day while he was growing up he had to hear from her what a scumbag his dad is.

What am I dealing with here?  How do I deal with this?  I know many of you are sitting with bpd partners due in part to bad childhood experiences they had and still you have to deal with toxic in-laws.  

He doesn’t know that I have had private contact with the mom.  I plan on telling him soon and have just been waiting for him to get his latest business trip over with as that has been a source of stress for him.  

He has shown quite a bit of improvement since he started seeing the psychiatrist and changed medication.  He is more helpful around the house and more interested in life again in general and been much more attentive and affectionate towards me.  I don’t want to ruin that, but I don’t want to keep this from him.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »

Before revealing private contact with Mom...I would do some thinking about what you want to do with her in the future.

Pick a script and stick to it.

What was your goal in talking to her privately?

Now that you know more about her,  has your goal changed?

I do agree that you should eventually reveal the private contact, but you need to sort out things first.  Why?  They are obviously emotionally volatile, so very important for you to be centered and consistent.

Best,

FF

Perdita

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »

What was your goal in talking to her privately?

Hi FF,
It was to keep her from phoning the doctors and interfering.  I know her butting in drives him up the wall. 

She's actually a real busy body in general.  I've noticed that whenever someone she even remotely knows finds themselves going through a rough patch, then she's there - and once she has the inside scoop she's running around left right and center to share it with everyone.  Right now she is planning to go out of town to get information first hand from a woman who discovered that her son has a drinking problem, "imagine her humiliation?" is what she said to me about it.  That's not concern or empathy.  That's enjoying someone else's troubles.
Perdita

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »

btw, he often has asked me to take calls from his mom or to keep her at bay.  I thought initially that she was genuinely concerned and it's good that someone in the family understands that he has issues, but this woman has other motives imo.
AskingWhy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »

Toxic parents are the reason out partners are BPD.  I feel sorry for your H.

My FIL is a very toxic man and uNPD.  From more than 20 years ago, I knew something was "off" about him until I could describe it and understand it.  He favoured the younger B of H, and made it clear he was not the "best" in his eyes.  This explains the insecurity of many BPD men.

FIL also poked "fun" at his wife of 60 years.  He made fun of her looks (they were both 80), the way she ate, if she dropped something, and then made sarcastic comments.  MIL was codependent and did not even know anything was wrong, and blissfully unaware.  

We can understand why our partners are the way they are, but we cannot excuse them for abusing us for the BPD.  

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »

Tread carefully, Perdita. It’s good that you’ve discovered how toxic his mom is and that will help you have compassion for him, but be careful of being the intermediary between the two of them. I’m sure you already are being mindful of this. Karpman triangle alert Paragraph header (click to insert in post)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest