Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm struggling  (Read 1075 times)
*Popeye*

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 24, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »

Mornin',
I guess I find myself torn this morning between writing an email to my wife that I'll never send, or sending a post out into the void on a board like this. The truth is, I'm well aware of what's happening. I've read 4 books at this point: Walking on Eggshells, In Sheep's Clothing, etc. . . I understand the psychology of the disorder, I can identify the manipulation tactics, the splitting, all that. I've gone above and beyond to be validating, to try to encourage the identification of emotions and the describing of real issues, just like I do as a good parent with my daughter and a performance psychologist with my clients at work. I've absorbed as much as I can, and I've been able to practically apply most of the skills. Our arguments are minimal and over relatively quickly, even if there is a residual tension and awkwardness that lingers for anywhere from an hour to a couple days. I no longer feel awful about myself or stare into the mirror wondering how I could possibly have been such a mess for 35 years and never realized it. So, now I'm starting to just check out.
My relationship sucks. I am in a constant struggle to set boundaries with regard to interacting with my family and doing things I need to do to take care of myself. I'm a responsible man, and ever-present. Most of my friends have drifted off over the years, and I don't do anything but go to work and go home, so as sad as that is, at least there isn't that fight to be fought (though I'm sure my lack of social support is a result of my relationship with my wife). It is NOT what I have experienced in the past or ever envisioned when I thought of connecting and sharing my life with someone. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would not be with this woman. Our life is awesome, but she finds something terrible about everything. For the last 6 years, I've bent over backwards to address all of her complaints, but I'm well aware now that the environment we've created together will never fix the fears of abandonment that lead to an irrational mistrust, or the projecting of a terrible self-image and a cyclone of negative emotions onto me. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do. I feel as though I've gone through the 5 stages of grief, essentially coping with the loss of the person I thought she was and want her to be. I'm at the acceptance stage, and fully acknowledge that I will be the person that takes all of her worst and rarely gets her best. We have a kitten, a dog, a daughter; they're all wonderful, and she is wonderful with them. She shows them support, compassion, affection. . . all things that I don't get to experience from her. People on this board have discussed there being an ebb and flow, times of extreme emotional abuse followed by an extreme effort to make up for it. I don't get that. There's anger, and there's neutral. She's never happy, which I think has started to wear on my daughter as it always has me, and when she's upset, she's terribly upset. I'm exhausted from constantly trying to encourage her to do things she likes, and beat down by endlessly taking 100% responsibility for a relationship that includes 2 people.
At the end of the day, I just feel done. I feel as though I've been remanded into custody and am facing a life sentence. How am I supposed to be okay knowing my relationship with the most important person in my life will never be fulfilling? That it will just take, and take, and take, and never give?
She asked me on a date night a few weeks ago if I thought I made her a better person. . . this following my remarking that her presence in my life had pushed me to behave more altruistically, that I had become more compassionate, and developed more patience. Her implication was that I was nothing but a negative presence in her life. She said I'd taken everything from her, that she had lost so much of herself. . . I was beyond perplexed, and floored. I managed it well I thought, acknowledged that I wasn't perfect, but tactfully pointed out how she had been afforded opportunities to flourish. A couple days ago, she again lost it over an attempt of mine to be playful, she's on a new kick about people saying they're joking to justify saying things that piss her off. . . my daughter, me, her boss. . . it seems like when you realize everyone's attempt at humor or playfulness is having the opposite effect, you should look in the mirror, but instead she blames the world. She cringes at physical affection, but gets mad when I don't try. What the f#$k am I supposed to do? Shoulder it? Resign myself to a life of constant toil to no avail? Am I Sisyphus? When I don't make an effort to connect, share in vulnerability, things don't get better, but they don't get worse; when I do try, I'm met with rejection, cynicism, and just a great deal of pain. I have all the information, I've tried so many things, and I have no way forward. It's crushing me, and all I want to do is tell her what I know is going on, even though her warped mind isn't capable of processing it.

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)   
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MayorMcCheesey

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »

Might not have the answers, as I'm new here and feel for you... you're not alone bud

"Our life is awesome, but she finds something terrible about everything. "
I can related 100% with my wife...
*Popeye*

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »

I appreciate the support. Good to know I'm not alone.
Pablitus

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »

I can feel your pain; have been married to a woman w/strong BDP traits (also noted by the 1st therapist that we saw); we have two young girls 6/8 and I can attest how such a relationship can really suck any and all joy out of life.

In my case (and i suspect like in many others) you do not realize  what is happening to you until it is too late; it is a very insidious process where you are slowly but surely broken down.

I was a dumping ground for this person's toxicity, her projection upon me of her issues which she then punished me for.

It really is not a pleasant experience and in my case I developed extreme anxiety and depression which i have managed to work my way out of w/minimal medical help.

It was like being cast into a certain role in the marriage which is very dehumanizing; you end up being an object that your partner uses to cope w/their screwed up version of reality.

Important to take care of yourself in any way shape or form needed; learn how to not engage or avoid your wife when she is irrational/abusive.

It is not a fun situation to be in; the person that should be the closest and most loving in the world to you is the one that gives you the most grief and suffering.

Also trying to deal w/the "Jekyll/Hyde" personality is enough to drive any rational person insane.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest