Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 04:37:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What school accommodations do you get?  (Read 855 times)
smomruby

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 10, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »

We are making a list of possible accommodations to bring with us to our iep meeting... What do you have?

Someone gave me a good idea to ask for classrooms to be close together so she doesn't have to navigate through the whole building.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »

Hi smomruby,
I'm here because of my Partner's uBPDxw, so don't have a child with BPD, but I do have a son diagnosed with ADD and he had an IEP.

My suggestion is to focus on where your daughter has particular difficulty put yourself in her shoes and think about what would help in that situation.  It's tricky because you want to assist without being overly enabling.

You might try talking with your daughter's past teacher(s) for suggestions and if your daughter has a Therapist they might be a good resource too.

What does she struggle with most at school?

My son for example had a hard time focusing so he received more time when taking tests.  He struggled with organization and received tools/support with that etc.  He was also paired with a Special Ed Teacher that worked with him all the way through High School so he had a "go to" person that he had a relationship with that he could reach out to for support.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
smomruby

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »

I know we need things that fit her specifically, was just hoping to hear what other people are doing to get some ideas we may not have thought of. School in general is a problem for her. She really needs a private school program but that’s not available by us.
PeaceMom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »

Before my DD went to the alternative school, we thoroughly researched all other options. We applied at a Private school and she almost got accepted, but in her interview she became very wordy and loud bashing her old school. They quickly saw her true colors and rejected the application. I almost let her do HS online thru the state. It was very affordable, but the idea of having her with me as teacher stopped me in my tracks.

We did get her a few accommodations based on her ADHD diagnoses. Testing in a quiet room, ability to go talk to school counselor if she was dysregulating and maybe extra time on tests. She only used to free pass to wander the halls and sit and complain in counselors office.

Moving her to alternative school was the best thing we did. She was able to work self paced and get thru all Jr classes and Senior classes her Jr year and graduate early.

Is this available to you?
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »

Hi momsruby,

There's a thread linking to other articles and videos that might be helpful:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=114267.msg1125531#msg1125531

You might have to dig around a bit to see what relates to your situation.

I think the measurable annual goals for both functioning and academic goals is a good idea, and how they will be measured. You can put lots of accommodations in an IEP but if they aren't measurable then it's hard to know if it's working or whether the school is doing their job. Lots of paperwork, unfortunately but how else do we know what's happening?

If you think that daily OT sessions might be helpful, that's something to think about. I'd even go take a look at the resource room to see what kinds of things they offer. My son is not BPD but he did go to the OT room to bounce on a trampoline when he felt emotionally flooded.

Do you think your child would give you input on what she needs?

Breathe.
smomruby

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »

Thanks!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest