Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting expectations and definitions of success  (Read 889 times)
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« on: August 29, 2019, 05:30:35 AM »

When my son was in middle school he was on the honor roll and a champion on the math team. My expectation for him at that time was he would one day have a brilliant career as an engineer or math professor. Now my hope is that he will successfully complete probation, get off of drugs, and avoid a lengthy jail sentence. If he does, I will be just as proud of him as if he was marching across the stage to receive a PhD. It seems that since BPD hit, my expectations of him and my idea of what success looks like have changed. I went through a period of grieving for what might have been if only. Learning radical acceptance really helped. I think I am almost at the point of completely accepting that this is what it is. A brilliant and satisfying career may still be possible for him but that is in the future. Right now his biggest challenge is overcoming his addiction and beginning to heal from BPD. He will need to work very, very hard on both counts and I will celebrate every difficult step he takes. None of us chose this journey for our children. Who would? But these are the cards we were dealt. Let us play them well. Can I get an amen? (sorry, I am a Baptist preacher and can't help it, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post))
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
PeaceMom

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:26:01 AM »

Hands in the air and a big AMEN, sister Faith.
Grieving the loss of your dreams for your child is critical, because only after you let those ships sail can you honestly open your heart and mind to new possibilities.

My DD19 was adopted from Asia and everyone has always profiled her as the smart one. In actuality, she has math challenges and possibly some cognitive dysfunction (part of BPD). She loved science and we thought she might be a Vet for many years (age 10-16), but then BPD overtook her dreams. She graduated from HS a year early and went right into community college, but struggled w/C’s. She did not reenroll and said she was done bc it was too confusing and she couldn’t concentrate. She sat out a year then tried again this summer and passed 2 easy classes.

I’m cautiously optimistic bc she’s enrolled in 4 classes now and working 2 part-time jobs. She still comes and goes all night long, spends the night w/people we don’t know, still curses violently when frustrated, eats sugar all day, BUT last night she studied on her own for 4 hours-no TV on, not on phone. It was so encouraging to see.

I’ve found by simply NOT Invalidating, she’s generally calmer and can tolerate more frustration. Dr Lobel says pwBPD have a “very low frustration tolerance”. Conversely, he states that a high frustration is the cornerstone of most healthy coping mechanisms. Sorry, this is so wordy, but I wanted to chime in sharing a bit of good news!
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:43:46 AM »

Not too wordy at all. You are right on target with your celebration of the.possible within this altered reality of ours. Not being invalidating is huge. So are her successes.
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

I can't tell you how much i love this post, Faith! 

FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »

Thanks Swimmy
Normlee

Relationship status: Married

Each day is a gift -

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »

AMEN!  Wise words Faith. Radical acceptance. ❤

Normlee
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »

Reading this took my breath away Faith. 
Beautiful example of love and acceptance.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »

Thank you Harri
Lola B

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »

Amen!
cbusmom

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »

I used to say I just want my kids to be happy. I have done a complete about face and now just want my kids to be happy. Funny how the before dream for them is so different from the now dream for them when I picture it in my head.
StressedOutDaily

Relationship status: married

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »

Amen! Amen! Amen!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest