Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 12:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My partner is going through an incredibly stressful time  (Read 429 times)
Capncrrrrrrunch

What is your sexual orientation: Polyamory
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Life partners/co-habitating

« on: November 21, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »

Hello! My partner is currently going through an incredibly stressful experience. Our relationship is going well overall, but this whole time has been pretty taxing and stressful. Basically I just need somewhere or someone I can talk to for support. I am a little worried I will end up over-exerting myself in supporting her, and I just need to make sure I am also taking care of my needs.

So hello everyone!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

confusedbybdp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Hello!  If you would, tell us a little about your situation.  We are happy to listen and help, if we can.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »

Welcome, Capncrrrrrrunch!

You're in a good place here. We have a lot of tools and experience we can share with you that may make your situation easier to navigate.

Stressful situations are difficult for anybody to handle. But for people with BPD (or with BPD tendencies), who already have difficulty managing emotions anyway, there's that extra layer of complication and pain.

I know where you're coming from. Last year, a series of stressful events sent my undiagnosed husband into a major dysregulation. It was utterly exhausting for me. Unfortunately, he's being hit again with multiple stresses at once and I'm struggling a bit myself.

You're right that taking care of yourself is vital. As a wise person on this site said not too long ago, you can't recharge someone else's battery if yours is flat.

When you feel up to it, I hope you'll share some more about your relationship. How long have you been together? What are some of the behaviors or situations that are wearing on you most? Does your partner have a BPD diagnosis (doesn't really matter here -- either way, we can help)?

Again, welcome to the family and keep posting!
Capncrrrrrrunch

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome. It feels good to be among people who understand what I am going through.
An issue I am having currently is that my partner has expressed that I have hurt her by crossing boundaries and mistreating her in the past. She is saying that she is tired of it, and disappointed in herself for allowing her mistreatment. She is tired of having to guide me through her feelings, and to guide me through what I did wrong. She has also added that if it happens again she will be gone, or that I don't get anymore chances.
I know that we argue, and that I have definitely mistreated her, but it feels like she is placing the blame on me.
It's all very confusing, and I am hoping to get some outside perspective.
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »

If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the boundaries she says you've crossed? What are the ways you have mistreated her? (Just trying to get a clear picture -- the more detail we know, the better we can help you trouble-shoot.) When she accuses you of this, how do you usually respond?
Coastgirl

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:07 AM »

Welcome to this great community!

I gasped when I read your post because it is exactly what my husband has expressed to me. He even recently told me I have the emotional intelligence of a toddler... Have you been able to get a clear answer of what you have done or what she is expecting from you?
The only thought that I have is if she cannot be clear right now then consider a counselor who can help navigate through the emotional talk and keep things from getting escalated.
I wish you the best and hope you can find a peaceful resolution.
Capncrrrrrrunch

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »

Hey everyone, sorry for lack of replies! I brought it up to her the next day when she was in a more calm state. We talked about it and she admitted she expressed a lot of those feelings in frustration. Not that they weren't true or valid, but a little more intense than she wanted to be.
Then we had a self-care date together! We did face masks and painted each others nails.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest