Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 07:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you cope with constant suicide threats?  (Read 1176 times)
wendydarling
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »

I just responded to LnL's 6th thread on co-parenting board SD22's suicide ideation, connecting our conversations with parents here.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=339482.msg13078616#msg13078616

Faith, have you considered attending a 2 day suicide prevention training? It may empower you, your son.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Bluemoon23

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 01:08:21 PM »

@wendy THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Excerpt
LnL I received a nami newsletter today and I thought of you and H.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) There is an article turning suicide ideation into hope and my parents shaped my recovery and much more. It is suicide prevention awareness month.

https://www.nami.org

I went on the site and read both articles and also signed up for the author's website here: https://www.forlikeminds.com

On that website they also have greeting cards which I also ordered. I was just thinking the other day I wish there were greeting cards that addressed people's struggle with mental illness and voila!

It's so wonderful to keep encountering hope, resources, links and support. Thank you so much! Way to go! (click to insert in post)

Normlee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

Each day is a gift -

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 11:19:56 PM »

Faith, I've been away for awhile. I am so saddened to read the state your son is in and the anguish it brings to you. I'm glad you have this place to come to with your fears and a place to receive some advice that may help get you both through this time.
Several weeks ago my DS started talking about suicide again. I googled what to do when someone threatens suicide. What I found that helped calm my son was validating his feelings. Also what surprised me and worked well with him was to ask if he had a plan. He said he didn't and we were able to talk.
Several years ago he lived 22 hrs away and would call threatening suicide. I armed myself with all the phone numbers of police, mental health clinics... in his area. I had those numbers near phones in my house and in my purse. It was horrible living under those threats. I did what I could do and had to try and focus on other things when we weren't on the phone. For me, I felt like God brought busyness or responsibilities to me to help me do that.
My stepdaughter was in lockdown for a suicide attempt- her roommate commited suicide in that facility.  We can only do our best and like with everything else we don't have ultimate control over someone elses determined will.
I was glad to hear he made plans to go out.
I will be praying for you both. Normlee

Normlee
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest