Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding a support group  (Read 627 times)
Spacebar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 10, 2019, 12:10:11 AM »

I live in or around Oakland ca./ SanFrancisco
Are there any support groups for people that have bpd coparents or are currently dealing with someone with bpd?
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

Hey Spacebar, welcome to the virtual group  Being cool (click to insert in post)

I'm not in your area, but I've done some searching for "in person" support groups myself. Here's what I've tried or would recommend:

-Local churches often have "basic" support groups (like DivorceCare); but some larger churches often have more specific support groups, that wouldn't necessarily require you to be of the same faith. I actually found a group through a local Baptist church (I'm not Baptist) for people who have LGBTQ+ family members.

-Some churches in our area collaborate with a local family counseling practice to offer free parenting classes. So, you could again ask at a church, or flip through the phone book (if that's still a thing) or search online for a bigger counseling practice, then give them a call and just ask if they have a group. Or, if they know of a group in town that they could point you to.

-Check out community colleges & universities that have any kind of counseling, counseling psychology, child development, conflict resolution, etc, programs. Call the department's main phone # and even if they don't offer a group, I bet they'd be able to point you to some ideas. If they do offer a group, it might be low cost or free (often so that the students can get experience).

-I wanted a very specific sort of group and called a counseling practice here; they didn't have it, but recommended I try psychologytoday.com, which has a pretty detailed search feature. Worth a shot.

-Poke around on the "Son/Daughter with BPD" board here on the site -- a lot of the parents there talk about something called "Family Connections". I don't know much about it but it sounds like a support group if a family member has BPD/mental illness? Hopefully some members will chime in here; but if not, don't hesitate to post on the S/D board and also search online for "Family Connections group".

Tough stuff Spacebar... we're here for you, too, in addition to the group I hope you find.
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »

Some time back (before separation) friends at the gym mentioned that were active with a local NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) group focused on family members. I asked a lot of question that I think gave me away, and they provided the contact information for the person who organized the weekly meetings. I never went though.

I go to a faith-based 12-step group that has been very helpful and has given me new friends that get these sorts of struggles. They know all the bad-and-ugly that wasn't for my long-term friends. I'm sorry, but the stuff many of us go through it's what you share when moms get together for coffee.

Gemsforeyes

Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:14:14 AM »

I used to live in Northern CA and my exH used to go to a dad’s support group in Marin County, tho’ it wasn’t specifically for BPD.  Try looking for a men’s / dad’s support group, and maybe that can lead you to some men who are dealing with the hard issues you’re facing.

Also, if you can find a T (therapist) who understands BPD and can help you with setting boundaries.  Now is not the time for you to feel criticized, but to feel supported in your efforts.  I picked this up from your other post.

Your child means the world to you.  And she deserves her dad to be front and center in her life.

Wishing you all the best.

Warmly,
Gemsforeyes
Spacebar

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »

Thank you all for your kindness and replies. Seems like some good stuff there. I cannot believe how incredibly hard this is.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »

Excerpt
Thank you all for your kindness and replies. Seems like some good stuff there. I cannot believe how incredibly hard this is.

Nice to hear from you again. You're right... this is HARD stuff. Whatever level of support we can give you, low to high, just let us know.

Cheers;

kells76
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

Find people who get it, and focus on them for support.

Most people don't and that's fine. I'm selective about who I share with.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest