Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:43:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about muscle relaxers and/or patches  (Read 532 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 14, 2019, 06:27:11 AM »

I've been doing lots of physical therapy to get my back/neck more mobile.  Therapist was able to get a couple joints moving recently and the soft tissue around them is very upset about all this.

I can get everything stretched out with stretches and heat and then get 2-3 hours sleep before things tighten up and I get woken up.  Spend an hour or so getting loosened up and then get a bit more sleep until (you guessed it)

It's basically the left shoulder blade area.  This has me wondering if there are patches I can use instead of (or perhaps in addition to) pills.

Making a call to my GP today...hoping you guys may have some ideas.  

Best,

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »

What about the patches that provide heat? My DH seems to respond to beat on his back better than anything. We're thinking about buying a hot tub.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Gemsforeyes

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

Hi FF-

I always keep Biofreeze on hand and it works great.  It’s liquid with a roller head and uBPDbf has me use it PRIMARILY for his left shoulder blade.  He Supplements that periodically with a half or whole flexeril for seized up muscle and he sleeps like a tired pup.  Although if I take one, it’s for spasms and I don’t get tired.  Go figure?

And... if you don’t have one, a large bean bag heating pad (Dreamtime warm embrace body wrap), the microwaveable kind, is the BEST for what ails ya.  I’m a permanently injured former athlete.  Can’t survive without this thing.

We’ve also used the large Tiger Balm patches for pain, but the Biofreeze is better.

Hope you feel consistently better.

Gems
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

I have a far infrared heating pad that I love—actually have two of them. The jade one wakes me up in the morning and the tourmaline one makes me sleepy in the evening.

I had never heard of far infrared heating pads until I got stem cells for my shoulder and my doc encouraged me to use one daily. It helps with pain as well as bringing more circulation to the area.

Also I have a cold laser that really alleviates pain. My physical therapist suggested that for an Achilles’ tendon injury. If you get one, make sure to use the protective glasses so your eyes don’t get exposed to the red light. I use the glasses while I set it up, then I throw a towel over the area and take the glasses off.

All items are available on Amazon. The heating pads start at about $125 and the laser $350.

As my PT explained, the far infrared is heat without light and the laser is light without heat.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »

What about the patches that provide heat? My DH seems to respond to beat on his back better than anything. We're thinking about buying a hot tub.

I do really well with heat.  We have a jacuzzi tub and a tankless water heater...so I can heat my sore muscles all I want.

I've had several providers tell me not to use a heating pad all night...although I'm not exactly sure why they say that.

Best,

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »

For tonight I have a Flexeril to take at bedtime.  I don't think I've ever taken them before.

I'll make sure and be good and stretched out before bed.  (I have been other two nights as well, just woke up hours later all knotted up..ugg)

I'm going to check out the other products on Amazon.  The heating pad thing has me thinking again about why I've never done it before or why providers mentioned not to do it all night.  (I normally ask for explanation)

Best,

FF

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »

I'm also a fan of biofreeze and tiger balm patches.

Flexiril makes me sleepy and sluggish so I don't like it.

I have heard that heating pads can cause burns if left on while sleeping, but that's probably the regular electric kind. I have never heard of the infrared kind.

We are more than just our stories.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »

My mom used BioFreezec-- it works well for her lower back (stenosis).

I have arthritis in my left hip -- I have a glass of wine and a couple of Motrin, and all is right with the world; obviously pretty minor. When I had a herniated disc at C6-6, I tried every alternative treatment possible but finally had surgery -- instant relief, but who wants to go through surgery and four weeks of recuperation followed by PT unless absolutely the past resort?

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »

I only use my far infrared pads for an hour or so, while I'm online, having coffee and reading or watching TV--and then I use the tourmaline one and I often fall asleep and have to ask my husband what happened at the end of the show, so I don't feel so adrift the next evening when we're watching the following Netflix episode.

If you have a Tempurpedic mattress, don't ever use a heating pad in bed. It could warp your mattress.

Some people will sleep on their far infrared pads, but mine are bumpy with the stones and I don't think that would be too comfortable for side sleeping. My PT has a real high end one that would be very comfortable, but I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money--and we have Tempurpedic mattresses in all the bedrooms.

Unlike traditional heating pads that feel hot to the touch, the far infrared pads do get warm, but they warm the stones and they don't feel hot on the skin. The heat goes much deeper into the body and warms the muscles, fascia, and bones--instead of superficially warming the skin.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »

I have a tempur-pedic mattress, glad you mentioned that.

My plan is to use the relaxer at night for a few nights and then give a test sleep in a few days to see if I'm past this middle of the night knotting up.

About to head out to do some light exercise!

Best,

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »

Do you sleep on your back or your side?

If you are a side sleeper, you may need a pillow that supports your head and shoulder in the right position, and not a regular pillow that forces your head into a bad angle.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »

Are you aware of Egoscue's book, Pain Free?

https://www.egoscue.com/

My buddy, who worked retail for over two decades, swore by it. He was a business owner (7-11 franchisee, then his own mini Mart for 20 years, until he was about 50) so he worked a lot more hours than his employees. We used to hang out and he did all sorts of odd looking exercises and stretches, but he said they helped.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »

Usually a back sleeper.  I use a cervical pillow.

Well...the pill has been popped.  Heading off to hot bath and then see what kind of sleep I get.

Pretty good stretch session completed.

Best,

FF

snappybrowneyes

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 11:17:16 PM »

FF,
The lidocaine patches work well for pain and you can buy them at CVS or Walgreens, no script needed. I have struggled with the severe tightness you described. One thing that helped me was dry needling. I had it done by a PT for the knots in my back and it made a huge difference. It is uncomfortable when they do it but worth it. Basically a very thin needle is placed in the tight muscle and moved in and out. The muscle contracts with each time the needle is pushed in. After, the muscle is sore for a few days but relaxes.

Mine was a couple of decades old injury and just 3 sessions made a world of difference. Biofreeze is great as well.

As the legend goes, when the Pheonix resurrects from the flames, she is even more beautiful than before. Danielle LaPorte

And God help you if you are a Pheonix, and you dare rise up from the ash. A thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy while you are just  flying past. Ani DeFranco
AskingWhy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »

What about those devices called transcutaneous (T ENS) nerve stimulator muscle relaxers?

You can buy online and they are just like the ones doctors use.  Just make sure you read all warnings on packages.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 02:53:49 AM »

Well, the flexeril helped me get through a bunch of bad nights and actually get some sleep.  I was able to not take it for 3 days.

Just woke up with really tight/spasming peck muscle.  Tried for a while to calm it without taking the flexeril but finally gave up and took one.

I can feel it starting to calm.  Will try to get back to sleep in another 10-15 minutes. 

Luckily the muscles around my shoulder blades appear to have calmed over the last few days.

Best,

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 03:14:49 AM »

I'm going to discuss TENS units with my physical therapist today.

Looks interesting.

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest