Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:16:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD mother is dying, BPD brother needs help  (Read 416 times)
Cindip
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: In contact

« on: November 19, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »

My elderly mother has borderline personality disorder and is currently very ill. My brother has been her caretaker for the last six years and is on disability. They had a happy relationship together. She enjoyed him taking care of her and he needed a place to live and has been a good caretaker for her. I have a strained relationship with both of them. I am scared of his temper. When my mother dies he will not be able to afford to live  in her home anymore  and he will want to live with me. I am willing to help him financially to move to a government funded apartment which he will qualify for with his disability. I cannot take him in. I am scared to tell him because I am worried he will try to kill himself. How do I discuss this with him? I live in another state.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

Hi and Welcome

I am so sorry to hear about your mom being ill and your difficult relationship with the both her and your brother.  Please know you are not alone and have found a place where we get it.  We can help you decide how you want to handle things with your brother and with how to set boundaries as well as support you over time.

How has your brother expressed his expectation to live with you?  You mentioned you are scared of his temper.  Can you tell us more about that? 

Harri

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 03:52:53 AM »

My heart goes out to you having a BPD mother that is dying and a BPD brother who is her caretaker. My mother with BPD died this past summer and my brother with BPD was her long term caretaker. It is understandable that you do not want to live with your brother once your mother is gone. My brother with BPD also has a terrible temper and I dread dealing with him. The best advice I can give you, is to let your brother take the lead: Listen, ask questions, and do not give your point of view most of the time because it will likely result in his getting angry and mistreating you. I would gently ask him from time to time what he wants to do once your mother is gone. Maybe he does not want to live with you. I found out after my mother died, that my brother was terrified that I would come live with him. Your brother likely knows that you will not tolerate his terrible behaviors, and possibly would not want to live with you. What do you think?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest